5-way super switch PRS wiring

What's Hot
I've got a PRS SE SVN, and I decided to get rid of the 3-way switch and coil split on the push-pull pot, and just put in a 5-way switch with the "standard" PRS 5-way wiring, that being:
  1.  Bridge humbucker
  2. Bridge humbucker + Neck split (slug) 
  3. Both humbuckers parallel
  4. Bridge split + Neck split
  5. Neck humbucker.
I bought this super-switch from AxesRUs but it doesn't seem to match the PRS schematic - their super switch has a different number of terminals.

Long shot, but does anyone have a schematic that would work for this switch? Don't particularly want to have to shell out £45 for PRS' special switch.
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited July 2019
    Your list of five selections does not conform to any single official PRS circuit. (This may be a typographical error.) On the current PRS Custom circuit, positions 2 and 4 are both coils of one humbucker and one coil of the other. 

Your 24-contact Oak Grigsby switch ought to be able to handle the new circuit. One pole engages the neck pickup in four positions. Another pole engages the bridge pickup in four positions. The third and fourth poles automate the coil splits for positions 2 and 4.

In order to create a schematic diagram, it will be necessary to know:
    1. the output cable format of your pickups (two-con + shield or four-con + shield?)
    2. the individual conductor insulation colours.

EDIT - My original reply to the OP contained an error. To convey accurate information to future readers, I have corrected my error.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    Thank you for your advice!
    I'm aiming for the options outlined here.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/understanding_the_custom_24_control_layout

Both pickups are four-con, BKP wiring colours (which I believe are the same as Seymour Duncan?)
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    timmypix said:
    I've got a PRS SE SVN, and I decided to get rid of the 3-way switch and coil split on the push-pull pot, and just put in a 5-way switch with the "standard" PRS 5-way wiring, that being:
    1.  Bridge humbucker
    2. Bridge humbucker + Neck split (slug) 
    3. Both humbuckers parallel
    4. Bridge split + Neck split
    5. Neck humbucker.
    I bought this super-switch from AxesRUs but it doesn't seem to match the PRS schematic - their super switch has a different number of terminals.

Long shot, but does anyone have a schematic that would work for this switch? Don't particularly want to have to shell out £45 for PRS' special switch.

Your 24-contact Oak Grigsby switch ought to be able to handle the new circuit. One pole engages the neck pickup in four positions. Another pole engages the bridge pickup in four positions. A third pole automates the coil splits four positions 2 and 4.

The fourth pole is free for smart arse trick wiring.
    You need both the third and fourth poles to split the coils. There are two pickups :).

This is a simple wiring with a 4P5T switch though.

Rotors 1 & 2 - output to volume control
    Pole 1 - terminals 1 through 4 - neck pickup hot
    Pole 2 - terminals 2 through 5 - bridge pickup hot
    Rotor 3 - neck pickup coil split
    Rotor 4 - bridge pickup coil split
    Pole 3 terminal 2 and pole 4 terminal 2 - output
    Pole 3 terminal 4 and pole 4 terminal 4 - ground

(Terminal 1 being the one the rotor is connected to in the neck position, which is actually at the *bridge* end of the switch.)

That might give you the 'wrong' coils on in the 2 and 4 positions depending on how the pickups are wired, in which case swap output and ground for poles 3 and 4.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2019
    EDIT - Wrong information removed. Accurate information remains.

The other issue will be the magnetic polarity relationship between the two humbuckers.
    Really helpful, thank you both.

You need both the third and fourth poles to split the coils. There are two pickups :).

This is a simple wiring with a 4P5T switch though.

Rotors 1 & 2 - output to volume control
    Pole 1 - terminals 1 through 4 - neck pickup hot
    Pole 2 - terminals 2 through 5 - bridge pickup hot
    Rotor 3 - neck pickup coil split
    Rotor 4 - bridge pickup coil split
    Pole 3 terminal 2 and pole 4 terminal 2 - output
    Pole 3 terminal 4 and pole 4 terminal 4 - ground

(Terminal 1 being the one the rotor is connected to in the neck position, which is actually at the *bridge* end of the switch.)

That might give you the 'wrong' coils on in the 2 and 4 positions depending on how the pickups are wired, in which case swap output and ground for poles 3 and 4.
    Sorry if this is me being stupid - what do you mean by "rotors"?

The other issue will be the magnetic polarity relationship between the two humbuckers.
    Magnet already flipped in the neck pickup, so that should be fine.
    Tim
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    edited July 2019

In this circuit, at no time are both humbuckers coil split simultaneously.
    They are in position 4. My mistake, I thought they were in position 2 as well but I now see it's only one pickup split to the slug coil.

timmypix said:

Sorry if this is me being stupid - what do you mean by "rotors"?
    The part of the switch that rotates. The terminals for them are at the outer ends on these switches.

timmypix said:
    That actually complicates things. Unless you've reversed the wires for each of the individual coils as well, the pickup will be out of phase - if you just switch the hot and ground then it will split to the wrong coil. To fix that you need to swap the split connections to terminal 2 and 4 just for that pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2019
    ICBM said:
    timmypix said:
    That actually complicates things. Unless you've reversed the wires for each of the individual coils as well, the pickup will be out of phase - if you just switch the hot and ground then it will split to the wrong coil. 
    Actually, this depends on the brand and model of pickups being used. When the circuit demands, PRS build their own humbuckers with everything reversed on one of the pair but the output cable conductor colour codes still looking the same for both pickups. Makes the installer's life much simpler.

Over the weekend, I took possession of a 2014 SE Custom 24 with abused wiring (amongst other things). I am currently in the process of servicing and upgrading it. I need to decide whether to try a Schaller Megaswitch P that I have laying about or to adapt the modern PRS Core Custom circuit to a 24-contact Superswitch. 

ICBM said:
     My mistake
    Nope. Turns out that the mistake was mine. The circuit works as described in the opening post.  :3

In the light of my misunderstanding, I am not sure that I want to bother with the Core Custom circuit. I am more inclined to attempt to recreate the early factory coil permutations, including the Power, Out Of Phase option.

Sorry, in all the fuss I forgot to update this. In the end, I emailed Bare Knuckle as I saw they had some schematics on their site, albeit not the one I needed, and they replied with a schematic they'd drawn up which did the trick. Amazing customer service. 
    Tim
    edited July 2019
    So, I need not have bothered with this.

https://i.imgur.com/24Of7u1.jpg?1

There are other ways to organise the connections to arrive at the same result but those may prove more difficult to service in the future. 

Most of the soldering work needs to be performed before the switch is mounted into the guitar.

With the pickups connected as I have drawn them, they can be desoldered again without needing to unfasten the selector switch, thereby avoiding strain on any cables.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well that's very good of you regardless, thank you very much. Very clear for a wiring diagram too!
    Tim
    edited July 2019
    timmypix said:
    Well that's very good of you regardless, thank you very much. Very clear for a wiring diagram too!
    After my cock-up earlier in the Discussion, the diagram is the least that I could do to make amends. 

Having since spoken to my musical collaborator - who has a 2013 PRS Custom 24 - his description of the sounds from switch selections 2 and 4 has convinced me to go the Schaller Megaswitch P route instead.