Compressors

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
I’m thinking of getting a compressor, but not sure where to start. I’ll be buying used and would prefer to spend under £80.  Don’t want too many controls, just something simple. What’s the Maxon CP101 like? https://reverb.com/item/21069344-maxon-cp101-compressor-made-in-japan  Not sure if this is vintage or reissue (If there is a reissue).   Do they add much noise? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Personally id go for one with a blend control as ive found it makes quite a difference to the usability.
    Ive had an Xotic SP which is good and should be within budget (just) but have settled on a Suhr Koji which I'm really happy with. Unlikely to get one for less than £80 though. 
  • Calum13 said:
    I’m thinking of getting a compressor, but not sure where to start. I’ll be buying used and would prefer to spend under £80.  Don’t want too many controls, just something simple. What’s the Maxon CP101 like? https://reverb.com/item/21069344-maxon-cp101-compressor-made-in-japan  Not sure if this is vintage or reissue (If there is a reissue).   Do they add much noise? 
    The Maxon CP101 is my favourite pedal compressor. It's not too squishy but it still evens out your playing dynamics and its quiet when on. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12896
    What do you actually want a compressor for? Because which one is "best" will depend on that. 

Personally I use a Rothwell Love Squeeze, its "always on" and set subtly because it just makes everything sound nicer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    +1.

Decide what you want first. Check out the many YouTube videos etc first. I have an Empress Compressor (way out of your budget, I'm afraid) but very versatile and with a great blend control. Makes everything sound clearer... 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I too use a love squeeze. I don't think a blend knob is essential. I had an Xotic SP comp with blend and the love squeeze is quieter, cleaner and more transparent. It doesn't squash very hard though, so if u want extreme squash, look elsewhere. Mine is used in the effects loop to even out plucking/strumming dynamics, and bring my clean and drive tone nearer to the same volume, even with very sudden gain setting changes.

Lots of choices in your price range, but as already said, you need to know why you want one first! Let us know and we'll be able to better suggest something.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The Mooer Yellow is really good and should be had pretty cheap. 

I've recently bought a Thorpy Fat General which is more than your budget, but it's changed the nature of all of the pedals that I use with it. Stacking with a Peacekeeper drives the PK into different territory. The way it reacts to tremolo is fantastic, you get a saturation and throb not available without it. Quite a lot for one pedal. 
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Rothwell Love Squeeze for me too. Pretty transparent and adds the right amount of squish for me with controls around 1 o clock
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The Rothwell is a good place to start but might be too subtle if you're not used to compression. The Maxon is also on the subtle side and not at all noisy.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Boss CP-1X is an excellent comp, it’s difficult to get a bad sound from it tbh
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    I’m after quite a subtle compressor that works well with OD, fuzz and modulation. I would use it in the same way David Gilmour used his.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Calum13 said:
    I’m after quite a subtle compressor that works well with OD, fuzz and modulation. I would use it in the same way David Gilmour used his.
    As others have said - go for a Comp that has a "blend knob" - there are an increasing number of these available. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Calum13 said:
    Then the Maxon will be fine.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    I would also suggest one with a blend knob after having played through quite a few. This way, it also helps you decide how squishy you want things, because “squishy” is quite subjective and what some people find is not too squishy, other people far too squishy. 

I dont like squishy. I like a blend knob
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3017
    The Barber Tone Press is quite nice, well built, has a blend knob and is usually under your budget if you go s/h.  They seem to be rather under the radar these days but I’m still happy with mine after a good few years use.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    If I didn't love my Xotic SP then the Wampler Ego would be next on my list. Both have the blend control.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    They call me Mooer Yellow
    (Quite rightly)

- Not Donovan
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Anyone know if the Rothwell Love Squeeze is still being manufactured? No-one's had any in stock for ages and the Rothwell website looks like it hasn't been updated in about 10 years.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I have a couple of comps surplus to requirements atm. A Dyna Comp mini, boxed as new inc power supply and a Dyna Comp Custom, also boxed. Neither has a blend control. The Dyna Comp mini is a milder compressor than the old dyna comp, while the custom can get very squashed and spanky and sounds fabulous.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Jeremiah said:
    Anyone know if the Rothwell Love Squeeze is still being manufactured? No-one's had any in stock for ages and the Rothwell website looks like it hasn't been updated in about 10 years.
    Good question. I'm hopefully seeing Andrew Rothwell next week I think and will ask + report back.