Hybrid rig setup with DAW & ES-8

Hi all,

I currently have a small rig using an amp and boss ES8 switcher with a few pedals on my pedal board. Due to having 2 small children and a 3rd on the way I need to  over my rig to a silent(headphone) rig for practicing. I was also hoping to edit backing track in Daw and practice live over these. I have previously been a MAC user and have experienc with logic but need to do this setup on a Pc based DAW.

i’ve currently Been trialling studio one and am struggling with the signal chain, in particular s ding and returning to the ES 8 with the 4 cable method from my audio interface.

Using the pipeline xt plugin in studio one I can see a signal on the line output 3 from the AI but am not receiving any signal to the AI input from the ES8 volume out.  

Do do I need a realm box or am I doing something incorrect.  My overall goal is to have a plug-in based amp sim with my pedal board effects in the signal chain with the ability to switch live to play along to a backing track.

Any help would be appreciated.

matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven't got an ES8 but I do have a GT-100 and have recently sorted out analogue re-amping via my AI, so 4CM with the DAW in the fx loop.

Try plugging your guitar into the return jack that you're using to connect the AI output. If the signal gets through the jack setup is working.

My GT-100 has a noise suppressor which suppressed the input at the return jack - a played-back dry guitar signal in my case - and I had to change the noise suppressor option.

Your case is different so maybe you do need a re-amp box to change the AI output signal to one that resembles a pedal output? I read that the ES8 will bypass a loop if the pedal isn't active, so maybe that's what it thinks when it 'only' gets the AI output?

I also read there are a couple of mixers in the ES8 - are they set to let the sound in/out properly?

Just some thoughts, hope you get it sorted out. Oh and Orchid Electronics' Amp Interface seems to get recommendations on here and elsewhere (I looked before I found the noise suppressor issue).
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    What are you trying to achieve with the 4CM? All the FX that you would normally put in the loop are going to end up going through the power amp model of the sim aren't they? 

I'd just run the lot up front I wold think.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ