Did anyone else want this toy as a kid?

What's Hot

Comments

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    We used to make guns from sticks, and branches, and run around the woods playing cops & robbers (Harry Roberts and all that), but I do remember that particular gun from seeing it in the toy shop. The most lethal weapon I ever got my hands on was a spud gun. Can anybody remember them! You had to carry a potato round with you to reload! How bizarre!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I remember the gun and war themed toys of the late Sixties and early Seventies. As ICBM mentions, these were an accepted norm at the time.

A few years later, the fashionable (i.e. television advertised) thing to have was the Raleigh Chopper bicycle. A lousy cycling experience with the added hazard for boys of impaling one’s recently dropped parts on the crossbar-mounted gear shift lever. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ICBM said:
    It was a different world back then. Daytime TV films were all cowboys & indians or WWII - an endless stream of baddies being mown down and guns in almost every frame - war comics were everywhere, and it wasn't thought politically incorrect for boys to have toy guns and run around pretending to shoot everyone in sight...
    For quite a while my comic every week was Warlord. I was about 11. Just pages of people shooting Nazis. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320

A few years later, the fashionable (i.e. television advertised) thing to have was the Raleigh Chopper bicycle. A lousy cycling experience with the added hazard for boys of impaling one’s recently dropped parts on the crossbar-mounted gear shift lever. 
    I desperately wanted one, but my dad refused - not so much because of the gear lever but their tendency to involuntarily wheelie, go right over and smash the back of your head on the road. He was actually right.

I got a reissue one for my kids a few years ago - it's 'wrong' in terms of vintage accuracy in that it has a modern saddle set further forward, and a handlebar-mounted gear shift - but it's actually a much better bike.

I didn't buy them reissue toy guns though. Not least because they're girls :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    #Sexist.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18738
    ICBM said:

I desperately wanted one, but my dad refused - not so much because of the gear lever but their tendency to involuntarily wheelie, go right over and smash the back of your head on the road. He was actually right.

I got a reissue one for my kids a few years ago - it's 'wrong' in terms of vintage accuracy in that it has a modern saddle set further forward, and a handlebar-mounted gear shift - but it's actually a much better bike.

Action Man ?  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Kittyfrisk said:

I tried, I really did - when they were small we tried to avoid anything too stereotypically gender-specific... but they wanted Barbie and Baby Annabel.

Actually to be honest there is a giant water gun somewhere in the loft that looks like something out of Star Wars - other than being pink and yellow :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited September 2023
    k

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    ESBlonde said:
    Yep I remember it well enough. The boy across the road had one, the rest of us made wooden 'guns' in my dads shed. In those far off days real toys were hard to come by, we had trees and the neighbourhood.

jeez, I'm amazed you had the time or energy for playing, especially after your 16 hour shifts down the mine.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:

Valve amps and soldering irons?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I remember when all this was fields.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i remeber that johhny gun thing, if i remeber it was about £5, a fair whack in those days. I never wanted one, i wasnt into guns or action man, to me it was just dolls for boys. i always wanted a kite though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    My Dad was a gamekeeper and my Grandad a gunsmith so I was bought my first shotgun at 6, a Beretta 5 shot 20 bore semi automatic (sounds a lot more hardcore than it really was!) I was never really allowed toy guns as the whole "pointing guns at people" was frowned upon in my family for obvious reasons! =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    best TV Ads for toys ever were ALL the Mattel ads in the 60s/70s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AKK4mCRv8

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Never got it.  :/
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    This is what I most wanted...

I had one, but I really wanted the Duke Caboom one.  ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I don't think a lot of people appreciate how much the Second World War formed us growing up in the couple of decades after it. 

We were obsessed with it, it was everywhere, comics, films, TV - it still pervaded everyday life. 

Our playground right up until the early 70s was a blitzed street with staircases sticking up out of the rubble, we had an air raid shelter on the green in between the houses and half my relatives lived in concrete prefabs built to replace the bombed streets.

Playing war games was the most natural thing in the world, as was wanting to own the best toy gun on the street. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    p90fool said:
    At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I don't think a lot of people appreciate how much the Second World War formed us growing up in the couple of decades after it. 

We were obsessed with it, it was everywhere, comics, films, TV - it still pervaded everyday life. 

Our playground right up until the early 70s was a blitzed street with staircases sticking up out of the rubble, we had an air raid shelter on the green in between the houses and half my relatives lived in concrete prefabs built to replace the bombed streets.

Playing war games was the most natural thing in the world, as was wanting to own the best toy gun on the street. 
    Picture Library comics: Commando, War, etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    This is what I most wanted...

haha I had that, it was shit

I think back now to some of the tribulations I put my star wars figures through, I used to come up with various ways of punishing the baddies, at-at commander suffered the most, he ended up in a salad spinner at one point
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I remember desperately wanting the Rock em sock em robot fighting game in the early 70s. Never got it of course, too expensive. I was quite thrilled a few years ago when it turned up in Toy Story 2!