Fontaines D.C.

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
edited July 2019 in Music

When 6Music started playing Bad round the reel, I thought good song, but was wary of another hyped band. Having seen a bit of them on Glasto TV, I listened to their debut album last night. It’s a post punk/indie classic.  Boys in the Better Land is a modern three chord anthem.

It’s one of those debut albums that's shaped by tales their youth and hometown, such as Stereophonics and Artic Monkeys’ debuts. The problem often is after being on the road for a couple of years they run out of things to say and start moaning about success and the press (i.e. the woeful Mr Writer) or disappear up their own arses in pretentiousness. Let’s hope Fontaines DC don’t fall into this trap!

Great band.

https://youtu.be/TNXrKBt76zI

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    I checked out their KEXP session. Not bad, but I´m not totally sold on them yet. Whipping Boy did something similar and a lot better, to me anyway, but not taking away from Fontaines at all. Just need some more time with them!
    Check out Girl Band for similar vocal styles. Girl Band a lot more experimental and noise rockish though.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited August 2019
    I checked out their KEXP session. Not bad, but I´m not totally sold on them yet. Whipping Boy did something similar and a lot better, to me anyway, but not taking away from Fontaines at all. Just need some more time with them!
    Check out Girl Band for similar vocal styles. Girl Band a lot more experimental and noise rockish though.

There’s some great bands coming out of Dublin. The new album by Murder Capital is well good. Girl Band are intense as fuck, might take a few listens!
  • Interesting to revisit this thread. My fears the band would run out of things to say were unfounded. Now on their third album (Skinty Fia), a move to London has given them plenty of subject matter and reflection on their hometown of Dublin ....less youthful energy, it's a moodier and darker album. Many of their songs are simple structures, sometimes just two chords.. the interest is provided by the dynamics of the instrument and vocals. An excellent band and album IMHO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3315
    A brilliant band. They get better and better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    Yeah they are very listenable. Came across them (surprisingly) through my daughter who went to school in Skerries, where half the guys are from. Never really listened to them before because - well - what do kids know about music, eh  :)