How Do You Find Good New Music?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Litterick said:
    That's a good channel, I like that they have such a wide range of artists. E.g. 2 of my favourites have been Booker T and DJ Premier with a live band.

Saw a good band on there yesterday actually - Ohmme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Spotify discover weekly. There is always 3 or 4 tracks by band's I've not heard of which I like, so I add the songs I like to a playlist, then research more about those bands. I love it. More music than I can keep up with.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7828
    My recommended album of the week, Jesca Hoop, ‘Stonechild’.
    The track ‘Red White and Black’ is excellent ’
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    Youtube rabbit-holes have worked for me in recent years. Find a band you like then see what else gets recommended/shown on the right. Before that it was via my mate Stu, and before that via my friend Dan. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Spotify and Bandcamp..  Can't stand 6music and it's presenters!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Spotify. This forum. 
    Music review section of GT! 

Too much these days, total saturation.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2019
    Fuengi said:
    Check the Metacritic lists. They collate pretty much every album release each week and rate them.based on the reviews. 

Ratings aside, it's a fantastic resource to see who has released what. 

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/new-releases/date
    ^^^This
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    By chance, normally. It used to be based on album art, so I bought a Fuzztones album because it reminded me of the Cramps, and then that led me on to Nuggets, Rudi Protrudi having done the artwork for a Nuggets compliation, etc.

Also mates and tapes of John Peel, which led me to early James, Primitives, Soup Dragons.

These days it's YouTube mostly.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Spotify. This forum. 
    Music review section of GT! 

Too much these days, total saturation.
    That really is the problem.

It's very easy to find new music online but there needs to be some kind of filter or I'd be there all day skipping through material I equated with rubbish.

KEXP is good for that, it has a high amount of good material and fairly low amount of poor. A quick shortcut tip - if a band come on and look very hipster (or even very attractive if it's female musicians) then there's a chance they'll be great but also a chance they'll be very poor. If a band comes on that look like totally generic guys in their 20s or 30s whom you'd walk past on the street, the chances are they'll be good because how else could they have attained a level of fame? Whereas the fashionable and/or attractive ones could have gained the fame for those reasons even with poor music.

Everyone keeps saying Spotify; I did try it for a while. I remember the thing I disliked most was that if I was, say, in a car park that had no internet access, it would be impossible to find and start an album/playlist or whatever. Then by the time I've driven out it's too late, can't exactly access Spotify while driving. But also I just like the idea of having the music as locally stored files. If I ever stopped subscribing, or even if Spotify went out of business, all the music I'd been loving would be instantly gone. Hate that thought.

On that note, it seems that downloadable file prices are still catching up with reality. There have been times I've bought a physical CD with the intent to just rip it on to the computer since it's cheaper than the MP3 download only to find that on purchase it also gives me a free MP3 download. So I save money by allowing them to deliver me a CD copy to sit in its plastic wrap on my shelf.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Facebook for me. One of the few good things about it.

I'm a massive prog fan so I joined a couple of prog pages, and loads of stuff gets thrown up all the time. I'm forever jotting down names of bands to follow up on. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

I don't. I've only just discovered the Deftones! Loving them though.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to