My dad died last night.

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Deepest condolences... I’d probably see a GP initially, then Citizens Advice for the housing issue.. Grief counselling would be beneficial in time. There has been lots of studies into the grief curve and where people land somewhere on that curve in times of Grief. Make the most of your friends and let them take some of the burden, whether it be someone to talk to, or even for a meal to make sure you’re eating ok...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear that, my condolences. All I can say is let the grieving process happen and don't bottle up tears or emotion. Just feel everything right now, it's what you need.

Bye!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Be proactive. Contact the housing association. Confirm how much time you have before you are legally obliged to vacate the current property. Enquire whether they have any alternative accommodation available locally.
    Be seeing you.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Many condolences.  Monday's soon enough - focus on yourself and grieving. It is a big thing losing a parent, take care of yourself.  It think there's a lot more protection for bereaved carers these days than you may assume.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I’m so sorry mate. I’m afraid I don’t have any practical advice, but really hope it works out for you. Can’t imagine how hard it must be. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Really sorry to hear about this, zepp - thoughts with you and wishing you the best on the housing front.  

On a practical level ylu need to go here: https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organisations-you-need-to-contact-and-tell-us-once

They will sort out all the government stuff for you.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Really sorry to hear that. Lots of good advice from folks already about the housing issue - I hope you can get that resolved quickly. I know in another thread you were looking forward to getting a dog: fingers crossed that you are in a position to do that soon.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Words aren't really working for me at the moment. So very sorry to hear about your Dad.
    I'm sure you know that there are good people here, so don't be afraid to talk to us.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287

My sincere condolences.

Speak to the local HA about the house and explain the situation. My wife works for one. They aren't all bad. When my mum in law died her LHA were great when dealing with my wife.

All the best...

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Sorry to hear that, my own dad died earlier this year.  Afraid I can't offer any advice about the housing situation.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Such sad news, condolences to you. I hope that you get your housing sorted out. Hopefully HA may provide you alternative accommodation. Best wishes.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Very sad news.  Take care and give yourself plenty of time and space to process everything.

All the best
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Sad news.  Hope you get everything sorted.  Then you can look for your special dog friend.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Sorry to hear about this.

You need to contact your local council homeless department and ensure you are registered with them as potentially facing homelessness.   

For the council to be obliged to help you must meet all five of the flooring conditions

1) have a  right to apple for housing (basically not be an illegal person)
    2) be homeless or facing it in the next 56 days
    3) not have done anything that has caused you to lose your accommodation
    4) have a local connection to the council to who you are applying
    5) be in priority need  (age, physical or mental health issues, dependent children/pregnant)

The priority one may take some arguing so take medical evidence from your GP.

Insist on seeing a housing officer and making an application.  Do not be put off by a robust receptionist acting as gatekeeper.   Different councils have different level of housing stock available to them from none - to some so their approach varies depending on what's available and who else is in the queue.  Even if the dont have anything immediately they should provide some temporary help or look at helping you into the private rented sector with help with deposits.

You dont say what benefits your current getting but get the Citizens Advice to do a  full benefit check and look at funeral payments.

look at the websites

https://www.entitledto.co.uk

and

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Good luck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Sorry for your loss. I know someone who had a very similar scenario when their mother died, although they had to move they ended up in a decent flat in a nicer area. 

Hopefully you'll get a similar result
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Really sorry for you, my condolences. Awful for you to have to worry about the House situation as well as losing a loved one.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Sorry to hear this. Stay positive.

When you’re in the right frame of mind have a read of this.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/can_you_inherit_a_council_tenancy

Previously known as stevebrum
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Many condolences and my best wishes to you.

It is a very hard thing to deal with but you will come through in the end.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    Tenancy can be inherited and most HA will honour this once.  Go to the Shelter website and check that you are covered.  Hopefully you are.
    My dad died in 1977 and I think about him everyday.  You never get over it but it gets better with time.  My thoughts are with you. 

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Sincere condolences, my dad died 3 moths ago and it has been very hard but getting better very slowly.