Advice on buying a 14 fret nylon strung acoustic?

What's Hot
Asking for advice on the above for a mate who is looking at his options that meet following criteria: 

• Nylon strung, 14 fret
  • nut width 1 7/8ths
  • preferably wothout any electrics fitted
So far, the Yamaha NTX 700c looks a possible option, but are there others out there he should be looking at?  I have no knowledge of these types of guitars whatsoever so any suggestions greatfully received.  Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I don’t know about meeting those specs completely but if the budget will stretch to it I understand the Taylor Nylons are worth looking at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    I have an NTX900FM - I really like it. I assume the NTX700C is similar.

R.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    edited July 2019
    Beware:

A 14 fret nylon guitar will probably be quieter and not sound as good as a 12 fret, due to the position of the bridge, a cutaway 12 fret should sound better. Not an issue when plugged in of course.

A narrow nut on a nylon guitar can be problematic for "normal" nylon style playing (i.e. classical and fingerstyle). I bought one 18 months ago thinking it would be a good compromise, and found that I couldn't play my normal nylon material on a narrowly spaced set of nylon strings 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I had a Taylor 214ceN lefty which I was somewhat underwhelmed by. I tried the 12 fret cutaway Cordoba Fusion and Studio Negra guitars and these were a lot better - but didn't feel quite right.

I've also tried the Godin Multiac SA and Encore nylon strung - and I didn't like the physical balance or the unplugged sound - loud enough to be noticeable but not good enough quality to be used.

My current crossover guitar is a US-made 2001 Carvin 450CL lefty. It is thin-bodied (2.5"), like the Godin, but has a great acoustic sound and plays beautifully. 48mm nut and all solid woods - and for me it takes to classical as well as contemporary stuff. The model is no longer produced but very occasionally turns up on eBay or Reverb.

I've heard the Furch crossover models are also very good if your budget stretches that far although I've never tried one. However, the spec says they have a 45mm nut.

• AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice; much appreciated
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom