Temporary fret markers

steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
edited July 2019 in Live
Serious question- anyone have any good ideas for temporary fret markers. Haven't gigged for a while and my 'new' guitar doesn't have inlays (it's a longer scale as well). ..I only just realized how much I rely on them when I tried practicing in the dark and kept hitting the wrong fret 

We will be using strobe lights and stuff, so it might get a bit embarrassing....I'll have it done properly but short on time.

Any ideas?

Stickers would rub off so I am down to using tippex, which seems a bit silly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2019
    I had luminlay dot markers installed but on one of those Rig Rundowns, someone had luminous tape/glow tape on there (I can't remember who). I'll see if I can remember, but it worked a treat
    Edit:Ricky Phillips, bassist in Styx
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited July 2019
    Ah, thank you-  luminous tape sounds just the thing! I'll do some searching.
    Thank you!

Yes, long term solution after this gig 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654

I got some stick on fretboard markers off ebay for my Parker Dragonfly (which only had minute edge dots).  I can't remember which site but I do remember that they came from Japan.

They didn't last forever but the were good for several gigs.

Can't remember if this was the site but looks like a similar product range (I just went for dots)

https://www.inlaysticker.com/

edited July 2019
    Thanks folks- seems there are solutions out there- I had seen the fretboard markers but assumed they were permanent.
    Great stuff, I'll get ordering and there is the tape as backup plan.
    I could always go for some of the birdies you get on a PRS...:)

Thank you!
  • lefunklefunk Frets: 2
    I've taken white sticky address labels (the type where you peel off the backing paper) and used a hole punch to punch out little circles. I stick these to the top edge of the fingerboard of my classical guitar - gives you classic white dots.
    Dave C
     Acoustic/Electric Guitarist
     LeFunk! Wedding and Function Band
     www.lefunk.co.uk
     www.facebook.com/lefunkuk
     www.twitter.com/lefunk_band
     www.soundcloud.com/lefunk-3

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I played with a bassist who had luminous tape on the back of the neck, 5th,7th and 12th frets (I think) so he could find his place in the dark. He had worked as a roadie/ tech for various middle ranking metal bands so that was his pro tip.
    Tippex for temporary side dots has come up before and seems to work and doesn't mark. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Thanks again everyone- have gone for some fluorescent tape...I'll use sparingly and should to the trick. Seems silly really, but trying to sing and play at the same time I need all the help I can get. Cheers :)