What's a good keyboard for getting Rhodes, Wurlitzer, piano and Hammond organ sounds?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 1771
edited July 10 in Other Instruments
My old Korg N5 keyboard is getting a bit kronky now and I only really use it for Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, and Hammond organ sounds. I don't need a full on synth or sequencer but would like to get those kinds of sounds from a more modern keyboard.

Would need to be:

- 5 octave
- MIDI in/out
- Usual connections for sustain pedal, expression pedal
- Stereo out
- Doesn't have to be weighted

(If it could do a Mellotron that would be a bonus.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 365
    Nord Electro?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 4537
    I've a Yamaha mx49 (not selling sorry) bought for precisely this function and I like it. Was quite cheap. The fact that it also functions as a midi controller quite easily for virtual instruments is a nice bonus for adding bass or similar to recordings
    Is the moon asking me to stay long enough for the clouds to fly me away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 599
    Nord Electro.

There's also a Korg equivalent these days, and the new Yamaha stage pianos are pretty good too.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 1321
    Nord's got the top-quality end covered, but you pay for it. I now have the Stage 3 (with drawbars) and it's fantastic.

That said, these are "bread-and-butter" sounds and all modern ROMplers include dozens of there-or-thereabouts patches. So an MX61 may do what you want at the affordable end of the spectrum.

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 409
    The Nord, though I don't know what model it is. I was knocked out by that.
  • horsehorse Frets: 716
    Worth looking up what a used Nord electro 2 goes for these days maybe? They're up to the electro 6 now, so hopefully the V2 used might be a good price these days
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 3238
    I think my Yamaha CS2X would cover all that?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 1771
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to demo some Nords at some point.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 6794
    edited July 6
    I think the deffacto for those sounds is Nord nowadays, but many boards will offer those tones with some tweaking. Which Nord depends on other factors though as they are a bit nicheyssoise....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Nord is king indeed.
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Dominus Spiritus Invictus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited July 6
    OK, I'm getting it...

"Say 'Nord' again. Say 'Nord' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say 'Nord' one more Goddamn time!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited July 10
    Seems that the Nord Electro (61 key) does all that I need. Might look out for a s/h Electro 5. Unless there are cheaper comparable options.
  • Just don't let this thread turn into an Emp_Fab epic. For the love of all that is unholy and unclean, buy it before page 10 puhhhleeeaaaassseeee!!!
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Dominus Spiritus Invictus
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 5030
    Just to be different, my suggestion is a MIDI controller keyboard with drawbars triggering a computer running Spectrasonics Keyscape.

Er, why is this Discussion in Off Topic rather than, say, Other Instruments?
    Be seeing you.
    Just to be different, my suggestion is a MIDI controller keyboard with drawbars triggering a computer running Spectrasonics Keyscape.

I'd like something self contained. I spent 20 years with software and I'm tired of it.

Er, why is this Discussion in Off Topic rather than, say, Other Instruments?
    It is now. Thanks.
    Just don't let this thread turn into an Emp_Fab epic. For the love of all that is unholy and unclean, buy it before page 10 puhhhleeeaaaassseeee!!!
    Plenty of time before we reach page 10. ;-)

I guess I've always wanted a Nord keyboard ever since I saw David Sylvian use a Nord Lead 3 live on his "Fire in the Forest" tour (god, that seems a long time ago now...2003). I also like the fact that Nords are red. I like red things.

Anyway, it seems that the Nord Electro ticks all the boxes. Now I'm thinking about the 73-key version...
    I've been using an electro 5d for a few years. Sounds and plays great. Mellotron samples are great too.

If it's for live use then the main thing that holds it back is it cuts off the sound on programme changes, which the electro 6 doesn't do as I understand it. Not enough for me to justify the upgrade though.
    edited August 17
    I've done more research and thinking. I need a 6 octave keyboard so the one I'm thinking of getting is the Nord Electro 6D 73 key. My main use would be pianos (especially Wurlitzer and Rhodes), organs (Hammond, Farfisa, Vox Continental) and a sampler to do a Mellotron and maybe some nice ambient samples.

Before I pull the trigger are there comparable alternatives from other manufacturers?
    Philtre said:
    I've done more research and thinking. I need a 6 octave keyboard so the one I'm thinking of getting is the Nord Electro 6D 73 key. My main use would be pianos (especially Wurlitzer and Rhodes), organs (Hammond, Farfisa, Vox Continental) and a sampler to do a Mellotron and maybe some nice ambient samples.

Before I pull the trigger are there comparable alternatives from other manufacturers?
    Yamaha cp73 might be worth looking at as a possible alternative? I still love my electro 5d though...
    I've looked at other options and the GAS for a Nord Electro 6D 73 key is getting strong. =)

What's the sampler section like? Can I load in my ambient samples and have some control over the filter and envelopes?
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 985
    Nord, straight off, great sounds. There’s one near me going for £750 s/h so they come up at what I’d consider a reasonable price (considering how good they are) from time to time.

If thats too pricey, the offerings from Casio are getting better all the time -just need to get past the memories of 1980s Casios that most of us carry. :)
    Nord, straight off, great sounds. There’s one near me going for £750 s/h so they come up at what I’d consider a reasonable price (considering how good they are) from time to time.

If thats too pricey, the offerings from Casio are getting better all the time -just need to get past the memories of 1980s Casios that most of us carry. :)
    I had a Casio CZ-101. Loved it.

If I get the Nord, I'll get a new one.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 985
    Philtre said:

I had a Casio CZ-101. Loved it.

If I get the Nord, I'll get a new one.
    Another one for the research is dexibell, my keyboardist raves about them and the quality of their sounds.
    Philtre said:
    I've looked at other options and the GAS for a Nord Electro 6D 73 key is getting strong. =)

What's the sampler section like? Can I load in my ambient samples and have some control over the filter and envelopes?
    On my electro 5d the filter can only be influenced by velocity I think, and the amp envelope control is extremely basic/limited - not very flexible but the sample section is much better than nothing as a bonus. Not sure if the 6d improves on this.
    I got a new Electro 6D. When it's on there is some transformer hum coming from the unit. Anyone with a Nord get this or should I get another one?
    Philtre said:
    I got a new Electro 6D. When it's on there is some transformer hum coming from the unit. Anyone with a Nord get this or should I get another one?
    Quite typical I think. Mine does too, and when I searched online I found that it isn't unusual.

Other than that I guess you're enjoying it?
    edited August 31
    horse said:
    Philtre said:
    Quite typical I think. Mine does too, and when I searched online I found that it isn't unusual.

The first one I got from Andertons didn't hum so much (I think...) but something was rattling around inside, possibly a loose screw or washer, so I sent it back and got a replacement the next day (great service from Andertons, by the way). The replacement seems to hum a bit more. I notice it because I'm playing in a quiet space at home. As you said, this seems to be a common issue with Nords.

Apart from that I find it very intuitive and quick to operate. I like the 8 Live Preset locations as I can quickly retain the settings that I'm messing around with. I'm still getting used to the 73 key SW keyboard, although I need to build up my finger strength.

So far I like it and it's a keeper. A bit surprised that the onboard memory is low by today's standards (1Gb for piano, 512Mb for samples), I feel it should be double that. I'll probably try out some of the other piano samples that Nord has on their website, I just have to figure what happens to the presets that use samples that are replaced or deleted by the Sound Manager software.
    Philtre said:
    horse said:
    Philtre said:

The first one I got from Andertons didn't hum so much (I think...) but something was rattling around inside, possibly a loose screw or washer, so I sent it back and got a replacement the next day (great service from Andertons, by the way). The replacement seems to hum a bit more. I notice it because I'm playing in a quiet space at home. As you said, this seems to be a common issue with Nords.

Apart from that I find it very intuitive and quick to operate. I like the 8 Live Preset locations as I can quickly retain the settings that I'm messing around with. I'm still getting used to the 73 key SW keyboard, although I need to build up my finger strength.

So far I like it and it's a keeper. A bit surprised that the onboard memory is low by today's standards (1Gb for piano, 512Mb for samples), I feel it should be double that. I'll probably try out some of the other piano samples that Nord has on their website, I just have to figure what happens to the presets that use samples that are replaced or deleted by the Sound Manager software.
    Good to hear. I've stopped noticing the hum, although I tend to have the volume up I guess, which also makes the SW keys more playable in my experience. I find I can play quite subtle piano fine on it, and for actual Hammond the waterfall key shape was a revelation for me in terms of easily swiping along them. Great compromise for both imo.

I use the setlist function on my 5d a lot, and yours will be better in terms of not chopping off tails when you switch patches.

On mine if I replace a sample then the new one is used instead in patches which used the old one I think. I think the software shows you if a sample is in use in any patches though (I think), which helps avoid unexpected problems.

You do pay a premium for Nords, but the quality is high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    After more playing around I think that Nord got this right. Everything is hands on, there's no deep menu diving. If you want to change something there's a knob or a control for it. I've done my time with software synths and menus, I just want to turn a knob or pull a drawbar (ooh er missus). This one just does it.