Your best gig...

What's Hot

Comments

• keithfkeithf Frets: 371
    MSG 1982 Cardiff, I cried and not ashamed to admit it.
    Dream Theater  around 2002 Bristol Colston Hall, ,Truly incredible.
    Rammstein, cardiff motorpoint around 2012 , Single best Sound i've heard, Crystal clear and loud enough but nowhere near
    ear splitting.

worst gig was Alter Bridge @ Cardiff motorpoint around 2014, so loud the band was white noise, took around 10 months for my hearing to somewhat recover.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    John Martyn at the Royal Exchange in Manchester in 1990 would probably be my all time favourite - he was always ‘variable’ live - but that night was sublime....
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    keithf said:
    MSG 1982 Cardiff, I cried and not ashamed to admit it.
    Dream Theater  around 2002 Bristol Colston Hall, ,Truly incredible.
    Rammstein, cardiff motorpoint around 2012 , Single best Sound i've heard, Crystal clear and loud enough but nowhere near
    ear splitting.

worst gig was Alter Bridge @ Cardiff motorpoint around 2014, so loud the band was white noise, took around 10 months for my hearing to somewhat recover.
    I saw YES in Colston Hall and it is a great venue.

Worst gig was Whitesnake, courtesy of David Coverdale and the sound check.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12337
    REM and Radiohead both at Glastonbury 2003
    Springsteen in Hyde Park in 2012

And possibly the best of the lot were Sigur Ros - in Brixton in 2012 and in Reykjavik at the end of 2017. I'll see different great gigs in the future but I'm sure I'll never see anything that repeats the feels of those two.
    I was at Glastonbury 2003 but weirdly both R.E.M. And Radiohead weren't as good as when I'd seen them in the 90s. Love Sigur Ros and am jealous of that. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    The Bronx at The Charlotte, Leicester in 2003.
    Sleep at Alexander Palace, ATP 2014ish
    Monster Magnet, Rock City, Nottingham 2002

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Hmm.. Tough to call, been so many..

I think though it has to come down to the BB King gig I went to at the Royal Albert Hall..  It was an odd gig really. I think it was on his 76th birthday or something. It was more like " A night with" than a normal gig. He spent a lot of time talking to us and sometimes his playing was a bit off.. At one point I think he played a wrong note but thought his guitar was out of tune and started to tune it.. Kind of painful to watch.

Not such a good gig you may be thinking..  the thing is this was for the first 45mins to an hour this went on, and it was still cool just to see him live and listen to his stories and enjoy some of the music.. Then it all stopped and they brought out some chairs.. No one knew what was going on.. Then out comes Slash, Ronnie Wood, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi and possibly slightly oddly Mick Hucknalll??

The rest of the night was just one big ole jam and was incredible.. I had always seen YouTube videos of loads of great players all on stage at once but had never seen it in person until this point..  

The only other gig that came close is the Hyde Park BST gig I went to I think it was in 2014..  Faith No More, Soundgarden, Motorhead and Black Sabbath all in one day..  And my first time seeing Sabbath.. Also an incredible day.

I even got my own footage of the BB King gig  :) (just had too, its a bit jumpy but I was very excited)

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    I can't separate the following:
    U2, Unforgettable Fire Tour, Manchester Apollo, Nov 1984
    INXS, Kick Tour, Manchester Apollo, Dec 1987
    Jeff Healey Band, Manchester International, Sometime in 1988-1989

I'm gutted that I had tickets to see SRV at the Apollo in late 1990, but, of course, he never made it.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Gilmour @ Pompeii. 2016
    Crowded House Sydney 1996
    Bowie S and V 1990
    Coldplay Stade de France 2012

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I saw an unknown band called Van Halen open for Black Sabbath in 1978.  I say unknown -- we hadn't heard anything and knew nothing about them.  Well, that was going to change.  Anything I write is going to look clichéd but they really were f*cking incredible.  Like rock n roll but bigger than anything, ever.  Poor Sabbath had to follow that.

New Order a couple of months after the end of Joy Division.  They were playing in an old church in west London.  There was no stage, the band was in the middle and perhaps a hundred of us in the audience.  I don't remember them being any good, just really close.  I'm not quite sure why this came to mind as a "best" gig.  Maybe because it was really different.  I can still remember so much about it. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Beastie Boys & Rollins Band - Birmingham Hummingbird 1992
    Jesus Lizard - Leicester Princess Charlotte 1992
    Rage Against the Machine - Notts Rock City 1993
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Roger Waters - Wembley Stadium 2013.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    There are so many.

Led Zeppelin, Bath Festival June 28th 1969 - day before my 15th birthday and the most exciting thing I'd ever seen.
    Free - Godalming Angel July 20 or 21 1969, the night/day man landed on the Moon.
    Pink Floyd, Crystal Palace 1972 and the strongest acid I ever took.
    Weather Report at Ronnie Scotts early 1973.
    Little Feat at the famous Rainbow concert 1974; thankyou I was there and have a bloody backstage pass and a story to prove it.

I'm just boasting. I've got lots more too. There is no 'best' gig as your tastes change over the years. I've been very lucky. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited July 2019
    viz said:
    Vai at the Astoria
    And I just saw Stevie Wonder at Hyde Park and it was bloody excellent
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    Monster Magnet underworld 93
    16 Horsepower ath the la2, the Garage and Borderline 
    Scorpions supporting Priest 
    The Heads/Oneida at the underworld
    Candlemass/ Trouble Stockholm for the DVDs 
    Iron Maiden hammy o 86

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    Oh and The Devil's Blood at the underworld 
  • ting tings- oxygen 2008- couldn't believe how good they were.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    ting tings- oxygen 2008- couldn't believe how good they were.
    I saw them once on some festival that was on TV.. I agree they were really good the way they build up their songs with loops and stuff.. Quite impressive.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 628
    Motörhead, Split Enz, The Adverts, X-Ray Spex, at Maidstone College of Art, various gigs between 1976 and 1977.
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Victoria Palace Theatre, London, 1980
    The Smiths, Nottingham Rock City, 15th February 1984.
    Genesis, Birmingham International Arena, 1984.
    Sleater-Kinney, Auckland, 2006.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    edited July 2019
    1. Power Trip at The Underworld last year.   Never seen as much energy from a band or audience in equal measures.

2. Anthrax/Onslaught at Hammersmith Palais 1986

3. Suicidal Tendencies at The Astoria 2 in 2007

4. Metallica at Donington in 1987.  I'd seen them before (with Cliff) but this was something else. Someone smacked me on the head with a can of piss because I started a mosh pit.

5. Carter USM at Kilburn National in 1991.  I've been to some gnarly thrash and hardcore gigs in my time but this was properly scary - literally lifted off my feet and carried forward at 45 degrees by the crowd, as the band hit the stage.

6. The Macc Lads at The 100 Club in 1987.  Their material hasn't aged well but it was good fun back then. I was way too young to be allowed in The 100 Club.

7. PIL at Sub 89 Reading.  Incredible to see such an icon as Lydon, up close and personal.

8.Candlemass at The Marquee (Wardour st) in 1988.  Bunked off school to get there nice and early. Did my first ever stage dive and cut my head open on a monitor.

There are dozens of others, but I'm in danger of getting carried away.... 

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Sex Pistols/Clash/Heartbreakers - Anarchy Tour Nov 76
    The Clash - Bristol Locarno Combat Rock Tour 82
    Joy Division - Leeds Futurama 1979
    New Order/Echo and the Bunnymen - Liege, Belgium 1984 
    Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets - Roundhouse May 2019