Net admins: phishing/spam from name-servers.com and enom.com?

goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
THis is a bit bizarre: I just changed some contact data on one of my domains (registered at Netcetera). That was smooth enough, but a few hours later I got two emails:

1 - As of January 1, 2014, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has mandated that all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and Registrant contact modifications. Please click the link below to verify the Registrant email address. You have a 15-day window from the time of the contact change to verify the email address. After 15 days, the domain(s) associated with this Registrant contact will be suspended until the e-mail address is verified.

2- As part of our ongoing data privacy and security efforts, we're requesting that you set your data use consent preferences.

(LINK DELETED)

You can learn more about how and why we process the data we collect by accessing your consent management page using the link above.

The links in both emails are to organizations I've never been in touch with before: enom.com and name-services.com and the full links include encoded IDs. Ordinarily, I'd say that these are both phishing exercises, and they've just taken the public records of data change to send an opportunistically-timed phishing message.

But I've got a nagging feeling that they are legit.

Ideas please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments