Download Highlights on Sky Arts.

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
edited July 2019 in Music
Anyone else watching?

About halfway through the first episode....

Joe Elliot’s voice is buggered.  Halestorm were dull but Lizzy Hale is a great singer. Lamb Of God were Lamb Of God. 

Best thing so far is Whitesnake. Despite now looking a bit like Cilla, Coverdale can still do it... the band are really good, too and Tommy Aldridge can still smash the hell out of his kit, even though he’s in his nineties now. ;-)

Blimey how Donington has changed though.  I’m now being treated to some South African techno lot called Die Antwoord who, twenty years ago would have been killed under a hail of piss filled bottles. Still, the crowd seem to dig them. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Watched last night between 10 and 11, will catch up on the rest tomorrow.

Some entertaining stuff. Some rubbish. And quite a variety in the quality of sound mix, you'd have thought Sky would have at least levelled stuff. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I’ve flicked through although it’s not really my cup of tea. Joe’s voice is shot but it always was, he’s always been a limited singer at best. The bit I saw of Whitesnake was Coverdale talking and growling, if he can still hold a tune I watched the wrong few minutes. One of the Whitesnake guitarists seemed to be playing a different song to the rest of the band which didn't help either; I'm about 30 years too late for anything I liked about them I guess. 
    I have watched the Sky Download coverage before and it's always been badly done so even the most ardent rockers must struggle with how it's chopped up.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    My 13 year-old daughter thought Def Leppard were awful, Whitesnake were hilarious ("They look like grannies gone wild!") and Lamb Of God were definitely her sort of thing.

So, there you go; Youth has spoken... 
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I always go through the sky arts download programmes each year. My favourite part is when it gets so heavy that guys start skipping round in circles.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I've got them recording this weekend, so will watch over a few nights some time next week. Hopefully they show some/all of Slipknot and Tool's sets, but based on previous years, it'll be the odd songs dotted into the coverage. 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    There’s no Tool.  I think there’s three Slipknot tracks. Sorry. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    RobDavies said:
    Haha! No Tool is weird. I can only assume that was their choice. JMK is weird. 

Episode 1 was decent with some absolute tripe mixed in. 

You’re not wrong about Joe Elliott! He really struggled at times. Phil Collen is still unbelievable and I still really love their 80’s Hysteria guitar Tone. 

And Lizzy Hale’s voice is quite incredible
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    edited July 2019
    What channel (if that's even the right word) is this on?  I probably don't have access to it.

Edit: Sorry, should've read the whole thread title.  Sorry.  I'm a fucking idiot.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    I think there were maybe 5 bands on the bill I'd want o see, and I'm guessing they won't be featured. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I don't like everything in the two episodes, but I still enjoy watching the bands I'm not into. I just like seeing the variety and hearing things I've not heard before.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    RobDavies said:
    I know it has been rumoured for literally 20 odd years but I really hope they do a live video compilation before they disband....I'd be surprised if there were another album after the one in Aug and would be a shame if phone footage was the only record of them. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Is there any of the smaller stuff on sky arts? I really enjoyed Alcest and Toska.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ