Fano SP6 - Anyone had/played?

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8790
Been offered one of these bad boys in trade for some of my tat.

Looks rather fun, in a Swiss Army kind of way, but never had one in my sweaty paws, and nowhere to try one before I sally forth...  Rather than waste my time and his if I don't like it, anyone ever had the pleasure?  If so, thoughts, good, bad or indifferent?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Not played one but have long wanted to try a Fano PX6 which I think looks gorgeous. 
    Nearest I've come to one is a fella I know who plays a Fano bass which he loves.  So really not much help here!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Had a GF6 Alt De Facto, and a JM6.

GF6 was waaay too heavy, but played incredibly well - sold it with a very heavy heart

JM6 was very good, but I didn't click with it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I had one a few years ago.  I'd really wanted one for ages.  I think the Tele-meets-LP-Special design is really well thought out, the hardware and pickups are good, I like the variations they do with different knobs and scratchplates.

It was hard to find one anywhere so in the end I imported from the States.  When it arrived it wasn't quite as described - mahogany body rather than ash and half a pound heavier than they'd claimed.  As a result I rather took against it, as I tend to do, and never really grew to like it.

In terms of sound and playability it was fine, but I wasn't blown away.  It was one of the older ones with a "Tone Styler" rather than a tone control, and I didn't much like that.

In the end I part-exchanged it against a Custom Shop Strat.

So, a bit of a negative review but I must say I still like the design and I would consider buying one again if I found an example I liked better.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    I really like the idea of the sp6 and I'll be hopefully building a set neck version soon to satisfy my curiosity, alder body and roasted flame maple neck appeals to me as a different tone than I'd normally expect from a short scale

Shell pink with matching headstock plus an oiled neck would look good or indeed anything different to what is normally expected

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    A Telecaster bridge plate on anything other than a Telecaster just looks wrong. Makes it look as though the designer has cut corners somehow. imo.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    A Telecaster bridge plate on anything other than a Telecaster just looks wrong. Makes it look as though the designer has cut corners somehow. imo.
    This is because you're a traditionalist, I'm not mad on pure fenders so see this a different way, I'd like to mix and match from both sides, i love vintage guitars too btw but I'm mainly a Gibson fan, even then there are improvements to make, unless it's vintage spec anything goes for me 

Plenty of people do like it 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2190
    Is it an 'alt de facto' or one of the newer 'standards'?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited July 2019
    I've fancied one for ages but never got round to personally getting one sweaty. They do look and sound great and I will find it hard to resist when you sell @JerkMoans. I probably already request dibs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    I have a Dennis era PX6 with twin Lollar mini humbuckers. One of the the best made, best sounding and inspiring guitars that I've ever bought. Great balance, kinda firebird non-rev body with a chunky tele neck that doesn't dive.  @JerkMoans ;-)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8790
    Grunfeld said:
    Not played one but have long wanted to try a Fano PX6 which I think looks gorgeous. 
    Nearest I've come to one is a fella I know who plays a Fano bass which he loves.  So really not much help here!
    All observations gratefully received, compadre.  My own Fano experience is limited to a Novo, which I loved very much and passed back and forth with that @mgaw one until he broke the Sacred Oath and sold it to someone else.
    Jalapeno said:
    Had a GF6 Alt De Facto, and a JM6.

GF6 was waaay too heavy, but played incredibly well - sold it with a very heavy heart

JM6 was very good, but I didn't click with it.
    The message I'm getting is consistent good quality, which is a plus :)
    Philly_Q said:
    I had one a few years ago.  I'd really wanted one for ages.  I think the Tele-meets-LP-Special design is really well thought out, the hardware and pickups are good, I like the variations they do with different knobs and scratchplates.

It was hard to find one anywhere so in the end I imported from the States.  When it arrived it wasn't quite as described - mahogany body rather than ash and half a pound heavier than they'd claimed.  As a result I rather took against it, as I tend to do, and never really grew to like it.

In terms of sound and playability it was fine, but I wasn't blown away.  It was one of the older ones with a "Tone Styler" rather than a tone control, and I didn't much like that.

In the end I part-exchanged it against a Custom Shop Strat.

So, a bit of a negative review but I must say I still like the design and I would consider buying one again if I found an example I liked better.
    I think getting an instrument that wasn't 'as described' to such an extent, particularly with all the palaver of importation from the States, would justifiably peeve even the most Zen of coves. 

I think the one being proffered my way is newer, with a 'proper' tone control, so more food for thought.
    I really like the idea of the sp6 and I'll be hopefully building a set neck version soon to satisfy my curiosity, alder body and roasted flame maple neck appeals to me as a different tone than I'd normally expect from a short scale

Shell pink with matching headstock plus an oiled neck would look good or indeed anything different to what is normally expected

Sounds super smashing cool.  Can't wait to see it!
    JezWynd said:
    I did think it looked a bit incongruous, much like the Novo Serus T type jobs, but then I think the fusion of various different bits/styles/concepts is the 'point' of the thing.  Still pondering.  Who says a Funk band can't play rock?!!
    JezWynd said:
    This is because you're a traditionalist, I'm not mad on pure fenders so see this a different way, I'd like to mix and match from both sides, i love vintage guitars too btw but I'm mainly a Gibson fan, even then there are improvements to make, unless it's vintage spec anything goes for me 

Plenty of people do like it 

...and I think I do :blush: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Fishboy7 said:
    'Standard'

In fact it's this one.  This actual one:

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    merlin said:
    I've fancied one for ages but never got round to personally getting one sweaty. They do look and sound great and I will find it hard to resist when you sell @JerkMoans. I probably already request dibs. 
    I'll keep it warm and moist for you.  As per.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    PC1971 said:
    I have a Dennis era PX6 with twin Lollar mini humbuckers. One of the the best made, best sounding and inspiring guitars that I've ever bought. Great balance, kinda firebird non-rev body with a chunky tele neck that doesn't dive.  @JerkMoans ;-)
    More 'quality' endorsement.

Feck it, I think I'm gonna engage :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    They are good quality, Dennis era ones are highly sought after.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    JerkMoans said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    'Standard'

In fact it's this one.  This actual one:

Looks great.  I think they're made by different people now - although I could be wrong - so that adds an element of the unknown, they may feel different.

One thing I noticed, they're using different tuners.  Mine had Gotoh slot-headed tuners, which I thought was really cool on a 3+3 guitar.  Not exactly a deal breaker though.
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 372
    edited July 2019
    I honestly don't know re the post Dennis builds as I've not tried one but that Blue Single cut sure looks and sounds lovely. 
    @JerkMoans  ;;

[img]https://i.imgur.com/YSUQuD4.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom