Cars you miss

What's Hot
randellarandella Frets: 4088
I'll admit I'm enjoying Emp's car epic. It's also got me thinking.

Which of the cars in your past do you miss?

I'll kick off. I passed my test and spent several years driving a Citroen AX GT. It wasn't fast (a 320 TDi would absolutely bury it in a straight line) but I've never driven anything since that comes close to the feeling of connection it had on a familiar twisty road. 

I've thought many times that it must be rose tinted specs, but was gratified to discover that Chris Harris has one (or at least did).  So there are at least two of us who think the same ;)

The car doesn't have to have been yours. The aforementioned AX wasn't mine. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    Vauxhall viva. Maxed out at 60 mph, handled like a pig on stilts but got me and my mates everywhere we needed to get. They don’t make ‘em like that any more!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    I have never known anyone with an AX who didn't end up upside down in it at some point...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I have never known anyone with an AX who didn't end up upside down in it at some point...
    *makes mental note to never ever accept a lift with any of @stickyfiddle 's mates*

;)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited July 2019
    I remember in a friend's AX if there were two of us in the back and we rocked from side to side we could make it change lane.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
    My BMW E30 M3

It was written off in the 2007 Sheffield flood. Never mind the small matter of what they’re worth these days, it was a lovely car that was a bit of a dream to actually get to own. Not super fast by today’s standards at all but there was definitely something special about the way it drove and it looked fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Mrs ICBM used to have one, and it did have an alarming tendency to fly on the smallest bumps, and go sideways if you took a corner too fast, but neither of us ever turned it over. They do weigh remarkably little though, only about 650Kg if I remember right.

I do miss my BX 1.9TRS estate a bit - which also weighed very little and was ludicrously fast for a family car... the only car I've ever come across where the 0-60 time and maximum speed were actually better than the manufacturer's claim. (And yes the speedo did read correctly.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My original mini cooper. 
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Fiesta ST 2015. My first car and it got nicked. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    My RX-8. Wankel engine meant red line at 9500 rpm and 60mph in second gear. Was like taking off in a jet, the acceleration just doesn’t end!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 839
    I never owned one but I still get weak at the knees when a Saab 900 goes past. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    *makes mental note to never ever accept a lift with any of @stickyfiddle 's mates*

;)
    :D 

To be fair it was the Clio drivers who were worse...! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    stickyfiddle said:

It was the Peugeot 205GTi which was best known for being found upside down in a field :).

My BX had the twin-carb version of the same engine, and it was plenty in a car that weighed at least 50% more...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Pretty much all of them. Another one will be added to the list when I sell my AMG. 
    ICBM said:
    stickyfiddle said:

It was the Peugeot 205GTi which was best known for being found upside down in a field :).

My BX had the twin-carb version of the same engine, and it was plenty in a car that weighed at least 50% more...
    Pfft! By the time I was 18 none of us could afford one! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    mk2 VW Golf. Going around corners on three wheels. <evil grin>
    Be seeing you.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    ford capri, never owned one but a mate did and we had great fun in disused car parks. The back end on those was so light and the grip so bad, you only had too look at a corner too fast and it flipped out. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    edited July 2019

I had a 40th Anniversary Mini that I really loved (not the one in the pics but exactly like it).

Drove like a go kart, and made any drive enjoyable. 

Crashed it, was repaired, but it was a Mini so went rusty. 

Lovely car. 

Next got an Audi A3 1.8 turbo. Completely different but a lot of fun to drive still. 

Cam belt went in that. Had the engine rebuilt but was never the same. Shame as again it was a lovely car. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    My Seat Toledo. BAsically the original shape Leon with a boot. I had the hard to find TDI with the FR 150bhp engine. Went like stink and was so much fun the drive. What made it better was that it looked so unassuming.
  • My mk1 golf gti. I loved that car. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    My first VW Camper, Devon conversion. Was a lovely thing until tin worm took hold