Tina S - bloody hell!

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've been playing for 39 years and I'm still shit.

That's not trying to counter your argument.  It's just a fact.   :s

But seriously (not that that wasn't serious), yes, she's been playing for 14 years.  The last 3 of those years are, as far as I can see (without making too much effort), undocumented.  She may have done exactly what you suggested.  And she IS still very young, there's plenty of time for her to develop her playing in all sorts of ways.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited July 2019
    I sometimes wonder if I play a different instrument to other "guitarists" on here.

This sort of stuff leaves me cold.

R.
    Horses for courses init.  I really like this kind of stuff but every time I hear another "blues" track full of "emotion" it just becomes a yawn fest.

I appreciate the inventive stuff sure ... but most of it is a rehash and sub-<insert great of choice here>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    It's really hard to play the first part without a string muter as it's all tapped and all over the place - can be done but it's difficult (the guy who did the original arrangement didn't use one). It's actually a really fun piece of music to learn and the arrangement is very cool - the tapping ideas at the start can be adapted/used in other things and it's really satisfying to play. Saw it years ago and the thing that impressed me most was her patience in learning it all - it's something ridiculous like 50 sheets of music.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Bezzer said:

...but every time I hear another "blues" track full of "emotion" it just becomes a yawn fest.

I'm right there with you. I can only draw the conclusion that it's because when 90% of guitarists hear "it's got to be played with emotion" they think it means "it's got to be sad and slow just like the thousands of tracks everybody else has done before".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Bezzer said:
    I sometimes wonder if I play a different instrument to other "guitarists" on here.

R.
    Horses for courses init.  I really like this kind of stuff but every time I hear another "blues" track full of "emotion" it just becomes a yawn fest.

I appreciate the inventive stuff sure ... but most of it is a rehash and sub-<insert great of choice here>
    Interesting non sequitur there...

I'm not particularly talking about the genre, rather the guitar-for-guitars-sake stuff.

I like to think of myself as a musician who happens to play guitar, so I tend to focus on the overall performance or song, and not my own gymnastic ability.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Bezzer said:

R.

Noodle on a major blues scale, throw in the change from "Lenny", waggle the neck a lot...now that's a YT hit! ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    edited July 2019
    Interesting non sequitur there...

I'm not particularly talking about the genre, rather the guitar-for-guitars-sake stuff.

I like to think of myself as a musician who happens to play guitar, so I tend to focus on the overall performance or song, and not my own gymnastic ability.

R.
    That's sort of what I meant too, it's all subjective so one what one person wants to listen to is not the same as anyone else.  An extension of the "leaves me cold" comment in your original post.

Was not intended as belligerence for the sake of an argument.

Your last sentence there sums it up really, "I tend to focus on the overall performance or song, and not my own gymnastic ability" ... that is fine for whatever it is you're playing (I assume, I have not heard your music, but the way you phrased that implied such).  However, the same could be said for those playing with a high level of said gymnastic ability ... for their music, and for what they want to achieve, they ARE focusing on the overall performance or song.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Some of the criticism seems unfair.

We’ve reached the point where electric guitar is being taught to some youngsters in the same way as traditional classical instruments.  And that's inevitable: it may be a relatively new instrument but it's been a successful one and it was never going to remain outside the family of conventional instruments forever.

Part of the culture is to develop technique to the point where the student can play the repertoire at very high levels of technical difficulty. They showcase that by performing technically challenging pieces. That seems to be what’s happening here.

You can't achieve what she wants to achieve by knocking out a nicely felt version of "Sultans of Swing".  People who can do that are a dime a dozen. 

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451

You can't achieve what she wants to achieve by knocking out a nicely felt version of "Sultans of Swing".  People who can do that are a dime a dozen. 

No, you can't...but that does teach you the bits that guitar-athletics students don't seem to learn nowadays, mainly control of the instrument and the benefits of finger strength and fine control over the strings. Those are the things that give a player their own unique voice, and they're what separate the guitar from most other instruments - the fact that you can play the same note any number of ways and have it sound different from the others.

The two things aren't mutually-exclusive. You can learn to play fast and learn to get the basics right at the same time, especially in the first 15 years of playing! So many don't, though.

Also, please shrink the font in your sig, as per the rules ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Keefy said:

An observation (sour grapes if you will): There is a black band of something wrapped around the neck between the nut and the first fret - presumably this is to stop open strings from ringing, which suggests to me that the player hasn't got their string-damping sorted.
    Like Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe and Bumblefoot do? 

Yep. I guess if you use monstrous gain levels and want to fly around the fretboard, you haven't got fingers spare to mute open strings.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited July 2019

No, you can't...but that does teach you the bits that guitar-athletics students don't seem to learn nowadays, mainly control of the instrument and the benefits of finger strength and fine control over the strings. Those are the things that give a player their own unique voice, and they're what separate the guitar from most other instruments - the fact that you can play the same note any number of ways and have it sound different from the others.

The two things aren't mutually-exclusive. You can learn to play fast and learn to get the basics right at the same time, especially in the first 15 years of playing! So many don't, though.

Also, please shrink the font in your sig, as per the rules
    Well I can't know for certain, but my guess is that if she played a technically simple, lyrical piece she'd do a much better job of it that you're giving her credit for.

As for the sig font, I changed my signature (for maybe the 3rd or 4th time) and the big font appeared.  I presumably did something to make that happen but no idea what.  I didn't know I was breaking any rules, but I didn't like the big font and tried editing it a few times to get back to the original size with no joy.  If someone can tell me how to do that I'll happily do it.

Edit: I had another muck around with it and seem to have got it back to normal size, although still not exactly sure why it went big or why it now isn't.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Wish I could play like her.....that's all !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Keefy said:
    Keefy said:

An observation (sour grapes if you will): There is a black band of something wrapped around the neck between the nut and the first fret - presumably this is to stop open strings from ringing, which suggests to me that the player hasn't got their string-damping sorted.

Yep. I guess if you use monstrous gain levels and want to fly around the fretboard, you haven't got fingers spare to mute open strings.
    I guess yes ( I say guess because it ain’t really my kinda thing) but if it works it works. I don’t think it’s cheating or some inadequacy if it gets you the result you want. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Bezzer said:

...but every time I hear another "blues" track full of "emotion" it just becomes a yawn fest.

I'm right there with you. I can only draw the conclusion that it's because when 90% of guitarists hear "it's got to be played with emotion" they think it means "it's got to be sad and slow just like the thousands of tracks everybody else has done before".
    I think that it does have to generate emotion.

TBH, I found the playing a bit bland, albeit impressive, and I skipped forwards a couple of times in the videos to see if anything happened.
    Keefy said:
    Keefy said:

I'm guessing the guitar is DI'd into a DAW to record it - so even with decent muting it'd be a lot harder to stop all noise from coming through as it's a bit less forgiving. It's possible to play it through an amp with finger muting (without a muting device) without any extraneous noise though. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    12 seconds for me....you can probably tell what I think of it, that dirty word:

Dr*vel

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    scrumhalf said:
    I discovered this about half an hour ago. It's been many years since my gob was so smacked.

would sound better without the backing track
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789

Dr*vel
    Or you could always try learning parts of it and see if it improves your own playing at all ;)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

Dr*vel
    Or you could always try learning parts of it and see if it improves your own playing at all ;)
    Why would I want to do that? This type of widdly widdly playing turns me cold and sounds shit. I don't want to sound like that.