What to make next?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27468
I’ve got a Tele neck.  I’ve got a Strat neck.

I’ve got piles of Ash all planed and waiting to be bodied.

I’ve got some tasty looking Walnut for the tops.

Assume whatever pickups & bridges are either to hand, or just a “buy now” button click away.

But I’ve already got enough Strat-esque guitars.  And enough Tele-ish ones too.

So, what to build next???

Ideas please!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Jag or Jazz?
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Very hollow tele thinline
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Reverse Meteora.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    A thinline jazzmaster.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    It’s got to be a hollow body. How about getting some of the sycamore which @Rabs is talking about and doing a carved top?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27468
    Jason said:
    Jag or Jazz?
    They just don’t do anything (positive) for me ...

Very hollow tele thinline
    Hmmmmmm ...

Reverse Meteora.
    A what???

Sesh said:
    A thinline jazzmaster.
    Another “Hmmmmm” and another “don’t do anything for me”!

Roland said:
    It’s got to be a hollow body. How about getting some of the sycamore which @Rabs is talking about and doing a carved top?
    Some of the walnut came from Mr Rabs originally.  I’ll look through his posts ...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2019
    Fender Coronado inspired?
    Strat or Tele neck would work...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Double cut thinline Tele. 

With a bigsby, obviously.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    How about a @TTony very own design?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Forget the design for a minute. That’s fourth on the list of priorities. Above it are what techniques you want to practice, what tools you will “need” to do it, and what would be interesting materials to work with.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    @Roland ;

I’ve done next to no top carving, so that would be a good aspect to practice.

I remember watching @Andyjr1515 earlier builds, that were done (IIRC) on a B&D workbench with a sharpened spoon, so let’s assume that I have whatever tools are necessary.

Materials - I’d like to use up some of my stocks, so the body will be Ash (poss Cherry or Mahogany), with a top that could be Walnut, Maple or some nicely figured Sapele (left over from a door I made!).  The neck will be a T or S style bolt on.

Something Coronado influenced (ie less the bigsby) is an option, if only as a starting point for a self-design (not least because a quick search found no online plans for a proper Coronado).
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    IMO, you should build an acoustic guitar.  Seems like you've built a lot of electrics but there seems to be no acoustic guitar represented.  
    IMO, you should build an acoustic guitar.  Seems like you've built a lot of electrics but there seems to be no acoustic guitar represented.  
    I think even Andy would be hard pushed to build an acoustic with just a sharpened spoon!
    ;)

My capabilities (incl patience) are probably more aligned with the power tool processes of electric building rather than the fine craftsmanship of acoustics, ditto the materials that are piled up around my workshop.
    TTony said:
    I think even Andy would be hard pushed to build an acoustic with just a sharpened spoon!
    ;)

My capabilities (incl patience) are probably more aligned with the power tool processes of electric building rather than the fine craftsmanship of acoustics, ditto the materials that are piled up around my workshop.
    Funny you mentioning that

Admittedly, it's a dessert spoon I'm using this time - not just any old spoon...

;)

TTony said:
    @Roland ;

Something Coronado influenced (ie less the bigsby) is an option, if only as a starting point for a self-design (not least because a quick search found no online plans for a proper Coronado).
    Actually - there is something very attractively striking about the Coranado shape.  

My only gripe about the design is how far forward the bridge is...

...but, then again, if one was to making one's own, one could put the bridge anywhere that @TTony ; might want to put it  :)

Funny you mentioning that

Admittedly, it's a dessert spoon I'm using this time - not just any old spoon...

;)

Is that something that we know about, or a secret project hatching in your living room?

Black Limba?

Possibly something vaguely Coronado-ish, but with a centre block and a set of Strat p'ups.  Because I've a set of Oil City Stone Tones that are going to waste atm.  With a StewMac super 5-way switch thing because I like the way that works in my other Strat-ish.

And some designery holes rather than the trad f-holes (that I despise!).

Or is that just too weird?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Not wierd at all, if you are making from scratch you may as well make it unique?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

TTony said:
    Is that something that we know about, or a secret project hatching in your living room?  Black Limba?

Yes - a bit of a background job.  Haven't got round to kicking off a thread yet.  I'll treat that as a reminder ;)  And yes - Black Limba

Now....back to your Coranado :)

I've failed to find any Coronado plans anywhere on the www.

So, this weekend, I'm going to start with a Yam SA700  for an outline-ish, and then amend that to something approximating the Coronado.

I might also get around to finishing the other thing that's been part-built for about 18mths.