PSA Marshall Origin 20 dropped again

What's Hot

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    ICBM said:
    newi123 said:
    @ICBM ;

Have you managed to directly compare an Origin, JCA20hv and Studio Classic at any point?
    No - I've never played the Origin at all, and not directly compared the Jet City and the SC.

I know what you mean about the look of the SC20V on the 2061 cab - that's what the guitarist in my band had, briefly - but I found the amp disappointing... as he did, which is why it got sold immediately. Wrong application probably - it sounded very good for low-gain classic rock with the guitar straight in, but when pushed with pedals at band volume it just didn't work well at all.
    Cheers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    My Origin 50h Head was only £364 and sounds immense - where can you get a proper LOUD old-style Marshall for anything near that? Seems ppl hung up on the Vietnam element than wanting a classic sound... Dumb.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Mind boggling on the price, there must be some very poorly paid workers building those.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Mind boggling on the price, there must be some very poorly paid workers building those.

Either that or loss leading to create sales 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    impmann said:
    I expect the former given what wage rates are likely to be in Vietnam. I can't see Marshall deliberately making a loss on even their cheapest amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    What's the verdict on these? Good for Classic Marshall tones? Reviews when they came out said they sounded a bit anaemic unless fully cranked. Do I need to be awake at 5am to see them for a decent price?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    ICBM said:
    impmann said:
    I expect the former given what wage rates are likely to be in Vietnam. I can't see Marshall deliberately making a loss on even their cheapest amps.
    Why not?

Fender did with the Mustang range to get back their crown as Biggest Selling Amp Maker in the US after Line6 stole it...

Perhaps it may be that there are a lot unsold right now and its the quietest time of the year for the MI. Cashflow is tricky during the summer...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    newi123 said:
    @ICBM ;

Have you managed to directly compare an Origin, JCA20hv and Studio Classic at any point?

I currently have the Jet City and just wonder if the Marshalls would do anything very different? And part of it is vanity in it would be nice to have a little Marshall sat on the 2061cx.......... :-)

Using the Jet City for an edgy clean, pedals all in front and playing rock. Cheers
    Have the Jet City JCA 20HV and the Origin 20 Combo, they are similar, the Jet City has a bit more gain and doesn't seem to have the Marshall "bark"
    An Origin 20 head arrives tomorrow, so the combo will go......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    @paulnb57 interested to hear how you find the origin head against the jet city!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    johnl said:
    What's the verdict on these? Good for Classic Marshall tones? Reviews when they came out said they sounded a bit anaemic unless fully cranked. Do I need to be awake at 5am to see them for a decent price?
    Yes and Yes!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've also had the Jet City and it's way gainier.

I like the Marshall more for what I do.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    johnl said:
    Do I need to be awake at 5am to see them for a decent price?
    Nope

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180124321454001--marshall-origin-ori20h-20-watt-head
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Very tempting to grab the combo as a second amp for stereo or run a preamp into the fx return.   I think the combo looks pretty cool.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2019
    They sound great too even with the 10" V Type which I think sounds better than the 12" Midnight 60 in the 50w.

The 50H can sound huge through a 2x12 or 4x12, these are a bargain now!
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 207
    Do they sound at all decent at low volume?
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Just checked those Jet City amps, the 20H is now £189.

Are these any good? Thinking about getting one to leave in the rehearsal space.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Jet-City-20H-Valve-Head/2DX3
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited July 2019
    bloomer saidrd:
    Do they sound at all decent at low volume?
    It’s all subjective but to my ears the 20c really benefits from an attenuator at home volume. You need to crank the master 2/3 rds of the way up to get any filth but when you do it sounds amazing. Without the attenuator it’s too loud even on the low output setting imho.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Yeah, if you put Gain and Master at 12 o'clock (5) the 20 w head is clean, quiet and a bit "meh". Move both to 2 o'clock (7) or more and bingo!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Ossyrocks said:
    Just checked those Jet City amps, the 20H is now £189.

Are these any good? Thinking about getting one to leave in the rehearsal space.
    Yes, they’re great. They’re basically a no-nonsense modern rock amp with a bit more gain and tone range than a Marshall, and better build quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Mine's here and sounds great through a 4x12 even at home volumes.  I think it'd be magic wound up.

For the price they're a steal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom