Rickenbacker Vintage Case Poor Fit or Normal?

What's Hot
LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Just purchased this Rickenbacker Vintage Case from Soundaffects bargain price of £295.Normally £395
 1.There is a 2+cm gap on the lid when guitar is inside.
This means the lid needs to be forced closed..Also leaves a gap when closed
2.The pocket does not close properly.Right side sticks up.This is not the cause of the gap.
3.Just to add the stitching is broken on the handle.
  Does anyone have one of these cases that has the same closing/gap issues ie is this just normal?Would like to hear other owners thoughts on this.Loose stitching aside,just probably a one off. 
More Photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubcLsE3zg3vkfx877

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18384
    I think you probably already know the answer to your question.
     The fit & finish on a Rickenbacker case at that price point (even if reduced) is frankly shocking.
    That handle is not going to stitch itself back together either.
     I would be getting it returned & replaced immediately, or refunded if they have no more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Normal. This is what vintage-type cases are like. The one for my 660/12 was similar.

Whether you think it's acceptable or not is a different question.

We're basically so used to modern products that are made with far better accuracy that we forget what things were like in the past, and why those modern products were developed in the first place... not to mention that a case like this really doesn't protect the guitar very well. But they do look nice.

It will close slightly better if you take the bridge cover off, by the way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams, your guitar is the wrong size for the case. 

When supposedly closed, the lid MUST be pressing the highest points of the guitar. (Probably, the metal bridge cover and the end of the fingerboard.) This is eventually going to result in damage somewhere.

Take the guitar and case back to the retailer. Demonstrate the problem. Negotiate either a replacement or a refund.
    Be seeing you.

When supposedly closed, the lid MUST be pressing the highest points of the guitar. (Probably, the metal bridge cover and the end of the fingerboard.) This is eventually going to result in damage somewhere.
    It's mostly the bridge cover - the neck is parallel to the body on a Rick, so the other high point is the nut. Bear in mind there's a 2:1 ratio from the hinge to the clasps compared to the hinge to the bridge, so the 1cm-high cover will hold the case open by 2cm.

Over time the padding in the case lid indents and it becomes a better fit. I'm not saying this is necessarily how it should be, but it's normal for this type of case and you're unlikely to get one that fits much better if you replace it - although you might, if only because they're not made very accurately and this one might be at the outer end of the range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Normal. This is what vintage-type cases are like. The one for my 660/12 was similar.

Whether you think it's acceptable or not is a different question.

We're basically so used to modern products that are made with far better accuracy that we forget what things were like in the past, and why those modern products were developed in the first place... not to mention that a case like this really doesn't protect the guitar very well. But they do look nice.

It will close slightly better if you take the bridge cover off, by the way.
    Can't entirely agree with this point, after all, guitar cases are all less than about 100 years old.
    So prior to this, say the 18th century we couldn't make cases for carriage clocks for example (or gun cases) that were not better, more accurately made than the 'vintage type' Rickenbacker cases?
    Hmmmm I don't think so.
    It sounds more like the salesman's " they all do that, Sir' excuse for selling an inferior product.
    As for removing the bridge cover, were they not meant to be there as an 'original, authentic' feature?
    I have a bog standard Epiphone LP case that perfectly fits my Gibson Studio 60's Reissue, with a Bigsby/Vibramate fitted, so I'm afraid I'd be less than impressed at paying 5-6 times as much for a case that didn't fit properly from a premium manufacturer. 

Reminds me of something about the law of diminishing returns  ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I wouldn't be overjoyed if I'd just spent 300 quid on it. Especially that handle, looks really rough.
    It sounds more like the salesman's " they all do that, Sir' excuse for selling an inferior product.

As for removing the bridge cover, were they not meant to be there as an 'original, authentic' feature?
    I have a bog standard Epiphone LP case that perfectly fits my Gibson Studio 60's Reissue, with a Bigsby/Vibramate fitted, so I'm afraid I'd be less than impressed at paying 5-6 times as much for a case that didn't fit properly from a premium manufacturer.
    Not disagreeing with that at all, but this is how vintage guitar cases of this type are. If you want a better case, buy a modern moulded plastic one... which won't be the authentic vintage silver Rickenbacker case. Or a cheap plywood one from China.

edited July 2019
    ^ I don't think we are disagreeing at all  3
    I still find the it's OK if something is crap but authentic, thing a bit weird, but that might lead us back to another guitar thread   
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Send that back. 
    I bought a case of similar excellence for my elderly 4001 bass. (The bass arrived in something highly spurious.) My issue was the little bent metal strip on the inner face of one of the clasps. At first, it waggled and fouled the tongue. Then, the strip dropped off altogether. It worked a lot better after I bashed it back in with an 'ammer!
    Be seeing you.
    I bought a case of similar excellence for my elderly 4001 bass. (The bass arrived in something highly spurious.) My issue was the little bent metal strip on the inner face of one of the clasps. At first, it waggled and fouled the tongue. Then, the strip dropped off altogether. It worked a lot better after I bashed it back in with an 'ammer!
    I have the original case for my 4001... it does fit OK even with the pickup cover on, but I don't think I'd use it even to carry the bass to a band practice, let alone a gig. A Mono gig bag is much better protection for it.

Insert these words into a common phrase  "Triumph" " Form" and  "Function"  ;)
    This phenomenon is not unique to G&G cases for Rickenbacker guitars.

I have a Hiscox Liteflite case that fits an old PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow snugly. In the same case, a 2014 SE Custom 24 is not properly supported. There is a gap between the heel and the floor of the form-fit moulding. Consequently, the neck tilts up and the headstock is close to the lid lining.
    Be seeing you.