New acoustic odyssey

What's Hot
monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
edited July 2019 in Acoustics
https://guitars.com/inventory/ab9845-new-martin-custom-0000-18-14-fret
So, after 25 years of playing my Landola (obscure old Finnish rosewood/spruce jumbo, very nice), I’ve decided its time to get something slightly better.

Cue weeks of poring over reviews, YouTube clips, forums etc. trying to figure out what to get. It’s tricky as I play a bunch of different styles. A lot of finger-style, folk/jazz/blues, but also strumming and picking, and I like to be able to attack the strings and get some good dynamics out.

So I’ve been going round in circles. I started thinking 000-18, then maybe OM for more punch, then maybe just go for a dread, or maybe a slope shouldered dread for a bit more balanced frequency response… or a jumbo… etc. etc. 

I know I just need to play a load of guitars and find one I love. I’m in Leeds and there a few shops, but not a massive range of higher end stuff, so I need a trip to London at the least, although I’m, also tempted to schlep down to Exeter and spend an afternoon at Project Music.  I did play a bunch at PMT and of those the OM21 was the winner, over the dreads, 000-28EC, CEO-7 and a few others.

On a louder tip, I’m kind of tempted by the Country Boy in the classifieds, but I think the Slope D would be more suitable… also fancy a Collings CJ or Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner but they’re not too easy to find over here and not too cheap...

Then I discovered the Martin M-36, and it looks just the ticket - half OM, half dread, plenty of bass, nice to strum. Looks like a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADHbw0x0No 

A similar alternative is a 0000-18GE custom that a few US stores are doing. I prefer the look of these (not crazy on the 3 piece back of the M-36), but I need to pin down whether I want rosewood or mahogany.

Aaaanyway. Just a brain dump. I’m having as lot of fun going through the process and I’ve learnt a lot about scale lengths, guitar history, tonewoods etc over the last few weeks D 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have the specs you mention...spread across different guitars.

I have a Santa Cruz OM Grand which is the 0000 shape. In sound and "feel" terms, I'd say it's closer to being an OM than a dread (though I haven't played the Martin version).

I also have a Martin Sinker Mahogany OM - which is lovely - as well as an OM21. 

I think Martin OMs and derivatives are fantastic - I don't think you can go wrong, it's just a question of which flavour you prefer. That 0000-18 GE will no doubt be fantastic.

Enjoy the chase!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
    Thanks! Yeah I realise the correct solution is to buy 2 (or possibly 3) guitars, bu tI thought I'd start with a good all-rounder...
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ll throw in my two pence. Given 2 grand to spend and tasked to find a great all rounder I would buy a D18 with no hesitation. In my opinion the current production is the best mass produced guitar at that budget. It’s incredibly well built and super light. Does a ton of different styles with class. 
    Only downside it may be a bit bottom boomy for fingerstyle but there’s comprise everywhere you look. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I'd get an OM21.

Or a 28 if you prefer the more complex tone (although the differences are only supposed to be cosmetic there's lots of anecdata reinforcing the view that the 21 tone is a bit ballsier and fundamental whilst the 28 is a bit more complex). 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    The Bourgeois JOM is similar to the M36 (the body has more depth) but it depends on your budget because they are not cheap. Here's one in action

Ah that JOM looks lovely, great playing too. Would love to pick up something like that or a  Santa Cruz OM Grand if it came up second hand... 

Def open to a D18 - I played one at PMT which was not nicely set up, which put me off of course, but I hear a lot of good stuff about them. 

And yeah, I did like the OM21 I played.... we shall see...
  • OM21 is a killer guitar. It would get my vote. 

I like the D18 too - especially for bluegrass and heavy picking. It's good for fingerpicking too but for jazz and folk I'd take the OM21 over it anyday.
  • I have a 00-15, OM28e Retro and D18GE. They are all *very* different. The Mahogany/Rosewood ‘thing’ is, in my experience much bigger than one might expect. Certainly than I originally bought.

The ‘hog produces strong fundamental tones which are clear and crisp. The Rosewood more complex overtones. One might describe it as a ‘richer’ tonal pallet or a sound with more ‘colour’. Perhaps one could say the sound spectrum is ‘wider’.

For me the D18GE/OM28 comparison is most difficult to describe. The D18GE does everything you could ask of it, beautifully. Delicate finger style, big strumming and flat picking too. So does the OM28, although really heavy strumming doesn’t work quite as well. But they sound so different and get very different reactions from listeners. Most people seem to prefer the OM28; I can’t help wondering why they don’t ‘get’ the D18GE. But maybe they didn’t grow up listening to bluegrass...

The point I’m making is that you are right; you do need to play as wide a range of instruments as possible and recognize that if, say the OM 21 is the one which sings most sweetly to you, it’s worth trying several of them if you have access to the shops.

it took me a couple of years to work out that the guitar in my head is mahogany. At that point I dismissed Rosewood as not my sound, but after a lot more playing instruments and in the search for a contrasting sound I bought the OM28e.

The only q. I have now, as I get older, is will I be able to play the D18GE long term or should I find an OM18GE (or equivalent) and replace it with something physically slightly smaller. My Ovation Adamas’ II deep bowl is starting to feel a bit ‘big’.

You don’t mention if you would consider 2nd hand. It’s worth considering seriously if ‘new’ isn’t a significantly important part of this instrument’s value/purpose for you.

Enjoy your journey of discovery and please let us know where you end up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872
    I started with all the advice that as a fingerpicker I'd prefer an OM.

Well I don't - I like jumbos and dreads. 12 fret ones even more so

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Im with you on this ToneControl. I prefer a big guitar for fingerstyle. For me, nothing really beats my Yamaha FG300 or Harmony 1260, can’t get much bigger than that old ugly tank. But then I tend to always damp the bass to a thud with my palm so I need a big bass.  Also I’m not chasing that diminishing last few percent you can only get by spending loads of cash. 
    I suspect that the OM recommendation is because they are a little easier to mic up
    Really though, it just needs a little care, and some EQ, and you know that you need to EQ any acoustic guitar anyway

But when  you play them, the bigger guitars have so much more range for me
    in the North, you could try Frailers in Runcorn @monkaiboy ;
    they have a good selection, but sadly many have old strings (same as many stores), but there are a lot of the main brands available there second hand, and now Lowdens too
    Personally, since you live in the UK, I'd also recommend phoning up Avalon guitars
    For an amazing experience, visit the acoustic music centre, but most guitars there are too expensive for most people, not sure what your budget is
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Come and try the Country boy you won't be disappointed
    it does look rather nice
  • You may also want to consider the Martin GPC guitars. They seem a good cross between an OM and a dred. I have a GPC35E and it does all the things, and does them well. Plus the pickup system in them is killer

@Woodandwires said:
    Where are you based?
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    If you are contemplating a trip to Project Music in Exeter, you might like to pop down the A30 a bit further and visit the nice people at Brook Guitars. They could do something really special for you if you are prepared to wait - and the visit would be an experience in itself.

I would agree with ToneControl that Avalon are also worth a call - great guitars and great people to deal with.

For both, I speak from recent personal experience.