Analogman King of Tone / Kingtone Duelist

What's Hot
ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 364
Has anyone owned and *gigged at proper volume* both of these? If so how did they compare in your opinion? 

I should be coming up on the KoT waiting list within the next 6 months so I'm considering flogging my current KoT for a Duelist, not sure whether to pull the trigger...  
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Maybe a stupid question but why not buy a duellist instead of another KOT?
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 364
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe a stupid question but why not buy a duellist instead of another KOT?
    I put myself on the list for another KoT when i got my first one anyway, so when I get to the top i can get one in the specs I really want, and sell the current one, they seem to go for a bit - would be silly to have all three but i just wanted to see what people thought of how they compare in advance 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9508
    Chris, Ive gigged both very recently...

In my rig (and it's all rig dependant, naturally) the clean/boost of the OD was great on the KOT. I didnt like the drive side as much, as my amp is already breaking up (a Carr Mercury V).

The Duellist works live on any setting and at any volume.

The KOT went, and the Duellist survived.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chris, Ive gigged both very recently...

In my rig (and it's all rig dependant, naturally) the clean/boost of the OD was great on the KOT. I didnt like the drive side as much, as my amp is already breaking up (a Carr Mercury V).

The Duellist works live on any setting and at any volume.

The KOT went, and the Duellist survived.
    interesting! I use the KoT into a Two Rock clean channel, both sides in the "clean boost" mode but they stack to make a great gain sound, the duelist piqued my interest as it seems to have a similar 'not so compressed' but still dirty sound to it but the two sides are different, whereas the KoT for me sounds best in clean mode so i essentially have two of the same pedals at exactly the same settings in one box... 

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited July 2019
    I have both on my board. They’re both fantastic and you can’t really go wrong with either IMHO, but they are slightly different. Thoughts...

Below is in the context of a strat into a Carr Rambler set pretty clean.

The only setting I use on the KOT‘s both sides is the boost mode. The KOT does not excel in the other settings but my word the boost is absolutely stunning. My red side is high gain (HG) and the gain is cranked fully up - this gets to a pretty decent mid gain tone. Yellow side for general boost. HG red side is crucial for me. They’re set different for me so it’s not like having 2 of the same thing. Both on together is pure joy!

The KOT integrates itself really well with your amp. Lows are slightly rolled off but it’s more gradual than the lower end shelving with the Duellist in stock setting, however you can boost the lows with Duellist with the flip switch which then takes it to being more bass-y than the KOT. 

The Duellist feels more like a pedal ontop of your amp sound for me, but it nails that classic TS sound you’ve  heard all your life (at any volume). It generally is more compressed. The left side sounds killer for leads, and in general I use the Duellist for the more mid focussed TS sounds. However both sides together is too much / too compressed, so it’s one side or the other.

TBH in a live context I tend to see what works best for the venue and listen out for what is needed in the mix. I try to get 3-4 settings between the two pedals - together I get everything covered. However, KOT both sides on together is usually where it’s at.
    edited July 2019
    One more point, I’d say the mid push you hear with the KOT is at a slightly higher frequency than the Duellist. This will interact with your guitar and amp’s resonant peaks etc. so it’s all linked!
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 663
    I’ve had both, at different points. I had the KOT for a couple of years, and it sounded great with everything I used it for. Sold it just cos I fancied a change and wouldn’t rule out owning another at some point.

I didn’t like the Duellist, and sold it after a couple of weeks. I didn’t like it for some of the same reasons as above. I guess it comes down to guitars/amps/rigs preference.

The TS Side was good though, and I don’t like TS type pedals. I couldn’t justify keeping it for one side though
    BBBlues said:
    I have both on my board. They’re both fantastic and you can’t really go wrong with either IMHO, but they are slightly different. Thoughts...

Below is in the context of a strat into a Carr Rambler set pretty clean.

The only setting I use on the KOT‘s both sides is the boost mode. The KOT does not excel in the other settings but my word the boost is absolutely stunning. My red side is high gain (HG) and the gain is cranked fully up - this gets to a pretty decent mid gain tone. Yellow side for general boost. HG red side is crucial for me. They’re set different for me so it’s not like having 2 of the same thing. Both on together is pure joy!

The KOT integrates itself really well with your amp. Lows are slightly rolled off but it’s more gradual than the lower end shelving with the Duellist in stock setting, however you can boost the lows with Duellist with the flip switch which then takes it to being more bass-y than the KOT. 

The Duellist feels more like a pedal ontop of your amp sound for me, but it nails that classic TS sound you’ve  heard all your life (at any volume). It generally is more compressed. The left side sounds killer for leads, and in general I use the Duellist for the more mid focussed TS sounds. However both sides together is too much / too compressed, so it’s one side or the other.

TBH in a live context I tend to see what works best for the venue and listen out for what is needed in the mix. I try to get 3-4 settings between the two pedals - together I get everything covered. However, KOT both sides on together is usually where it’s at.
    great info, thanks! 

sounds like I should give the Duellist a go...

@ChrisCox1994 today I prefer the Duellist! You definitely need both ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ive just written my thoughts on TGP, so Ill add them here;

Ive owned both till about a month ago; the KOT was sold...

So, my rig is based upon a Carr Mercury V. So, a vintage Marshall derivative, which I play mainly clean with a touch of break up. Im also basing these findings on playing ‘live/rehearsal’.

So, the Duellist is loosely based on BB (left side), TS (right side). It is a powerful, solidly made and well engineered pedal. The BB side seems more transparent to me, and is my main choice. Both sides excel for solo boosts and ‘cut-through’.

Ive owned several KOTs (go figure) and some custom colours. The KOTS strength is its transparent nature, and works with any amp, imho. But it inly really comes to life at amp volume i.e. live.
    The clean boost side is incredible, and one of the best boosts Ive encountered. The OD/drive side was less favourable in my rig.

So, I sold the KOT. Wouldve like to have kept it, but £400 is a lot for just a boost.

Id love to sell the Duellist, as I need money for a car. However, I just cannot part with this incredible pedal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, my findings are very similar to Tims @BBBlues ;
    Fuel to my GAS flame, thanks! 

Just realised its side mounted jacks on an already wide pedal  :/ not a fan of that when space is an issue 

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Fuel to my GAS flame, thanks! 

Just realised its side mounted jacks on an already wide pedal  :/ not a fan of that when space is an issue 
    The Duellist isn't a wide pedal at all. Don't be ridiculous!
    How very rock and roll