"Your item is over-priced..."

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Don’t worry. We’ve all had our run ins with lemons on the internet. It’s easiest and best to ignore. 
    Some people do it in real life. I had a local guy who wanted to buy a JTM45 off me sit there noodling through it on my guitar, tell me he's definitely interested and that I'd "never get more than £300 for it".

I threw my phone over to him, showing him the current eBay bid of £660. 

The eBay deal went fine, the local guy fucked off.  
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    JezWynd said:

I'm all for a haggle but if something is more expensive than you can afford, why be dick about it?
    Don’t assume that they can’t afford it. Lots of rich people get that way because they begrudge paying the going rate for anything. 
    THIS

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Ironically, I didn't look at the price of your LPB Strat and I read the desc and pics- my first thought was 2k guitar.

My second thought however, was to inbox you and tell you it was overpriced just for the craic.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    There are chancers who over-price their items and there are chancers who offer low bids.
    • I often see current Chinese-made Rickenbacker (aka. Chickenbacker) bass copies being advertised for more than you can buy them from Aliexpress.
    • I also see some vintage Japanese ones being offered for as much as a real Ric and described as better (none of them are worth that and they aren't).
    • OTOH, I recently offered a Matsumoku Japanese Ric copy on FB and I received a message with a "final" offer of about a 3rd of the bottom-end of its value, shipped to Holland; I didn't even bother responding.
    The question about calling out overpriced items is interesting; in a forum/community such as this, do the members have a duty to advice/protect buyers when they see rip-off prices.

As to market value, one easy check is what items have recently sold for on ebay. (That's no good for Ric copies, though, as they are banned!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    prowla said:
    As to market value, one easy check is what items have recently sold for on ebay. (That's no good for Ric copies, though, as they are banned!)

Or even what they've sold on here
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    I don't mind a lowish offer and am happy to negotiate. Recently though, I have started to bar bidders on eBay, if the offer is really low. Just out of spite really.
    You have to remember that the vast majority of people who are selling guitars are not as obsessive and price sensitive as fretboard members. 
    For closet dealers the low offer strategy is probably worth trying as it costs nothing.  There are closet dealers about that use multiple accounts to brow beat you with one account then come to your rescue with another. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Had my immaculate R9 for sale for 2700.

I got a message saying, nice guitar but way way overpriced. I'd be interested if you can drop the price to 2000.
    You should have countered with the suggestion that you hoped to trade up to a Harley Benton with pickup upgrades.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited July 2019
    <MINI RANT>

Does anybody else ever receive messages from fellow forum members, having a pop at you for selling items at price higher than than they're willing to pay?  I'm all for a haggle but if something is more expensive than you can afford, why be dick about it?

Somebody (not a regular), who shall remain unnamed, has messaged me about two items now, both times with rude and patronising messages about pricing (the latter being my CS Strat, which I believe is fairly priced - as do those who contributed to my post asking for advice on value). 

I've just, for the first time, discovered the 'Ignore' button.

Grrr.

PS - if you see this, Mr X, you're still a ****ing bellend (yes, sorry, I lost my rag in my last message...sorry, Admins).

</MINI RANT>
    Yes I've had it happen here on the forum... it's not the right way to ask for a price reduction. And usually ends with me telling them "politely" to **** off.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    There are some lowballers on here.

I advertised a PRS in the Classified on here once (years ago now), and I had someone telling me I asking too much, and would never get more than £1000 for it.  I ended up getting around £1200 for (after commission) it by selling it on consignment in a shop.

He could have saved himself 15% on what the eventual buyer paid, but there was no way I was going to take £200 less than I could get elsewhere.

There are also people on here who are totally unrealistic and asking 20% too much, but I just don't bother with those ads.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    I’ve actually been offered £200 more than it’s apparently ‘worth’. 

I don't mind offers, at all, but to be dogmatically told that I’m wrong for the second time by the guy was just annoying. 

Don’t get me started on people’s valuations on trade items which I never asked for...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    thegummy said:
    History has shown time and time again that (some) people on this forum (and others) are utterly obsessed with what other people choose to price gear at. There's a thread every second day about something thats "overpriced" on eBay.

Why these people get quite so upset I have no idea. Even if something is overpriced, who cares? 

I hear loads of people moaning at decisions Gibson, for example, make; not just to do with price but other decisions such as what to sell, in what sized packs things are available etc.

Fair enough saying "I wish it was this way/cost this much" but they say it as if Gibson ought to be ashamed of themselves and should take peoples' feelings in to account when making decisions.
     ;) 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    When they take the top price that their guitar has sold for on ebay and then the bottom price your guitar has sold for and offer it as a trade. 
    Just Get Tae Fuck man 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When they take the top price that their guitar has sold for on ebay and then the bottom price your guitar has sold for and offer it as a trade. 
    Just Get Tae Fuck man 
    Haha. I want an Just Get Tae Fuck button added. 

Admins?

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • On a tangent, it is slightly bemusing to watch a piece of gear that you've sold to a fellow forumite come up for sale here again, only at quite an increased price, then hang around in the classifieds for over a year and get bumped endlessly...  TOTALLY their business and decision to price it however they like, and arguably that means that I under-valued it; perhaps they don't need to move it that fast.  But honestly, if I could have sold it for what you're asking bud, I really would have!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    I think some sellers attitude stinks.  If you want your stuff to sell, bite your tongue and be nice. No matter how much of a dick you think the potential buyer is being. This is basic customer service / sales knowledge. Any idiot can respond by being rude, it takes a bigger man to bite your lip and be nice to them anyway. 

You can take the moral high ground and "be in the right" but it wont sell your stuff. Being nice, sells your stuff.

If someone low balls you, make a counter offer ffs. If you reject them straight away you've lost the sale.

As someone who sells two or three items per day on ebay (not guitar gear) I can tell you thats how I get about 90% of my sales. Someone offers, I counter and then that may repeat two or three times until we agree on a price. Very few people pay the asking price, most will want a bit taking off - thats just the way people are. If I rejected every initial 'low ball' offer I got then I would barely sell anything. Basic haggling. Theres a reason that sytem is there on ebay.

If someone tells you your price is to high, there is no need to be nasty about it. Ask them how much they want to pay, and be prepared to come down a bit on your price within reason. Start the haggling process not the arguing process.

Common sense to me, but some people dont seem to get it. Good luck with your sales if you have a bad attitude towards your buyers.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited July 2019
    Does anyone remember the guy on Harmony Central amp forum who would "sell" on one forum something he was yet to buy from another forum. 

He got rumbled in the end and stung by a set of users who "agreed" deals with him and then held out on competing so he was left having to come up with more and more spurious excuses to get out of deals lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    @Keiko If you check my feedback, you will see I've had no issues on here.  This guy messaged about a guitar I was selling for a friend telling me his price was too high, I told him it wasn't mine and non-negotiable.  I got a load of crap back.  Then I list one of my own, pretty much the same story, because basically he was right/I was wrong.  It was never going to be a sale, hence my final respond that he is a f***ing bellend.  Because he is.

I'd like to think most people who deal with me find I'm reasonable, will usually flex on price, meet people halfway, etc. as are most I have dealt with on here.  I'll try and work out a trade where possible but, if I don't want what you're offering, you better sweeten the deal, because I don't owe anybody a favour and don't want to take something I don't want without it being appealing.  But, hey, some people are idiots and I think there's no harm in telling them.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Keiko said:
    I think some sellers attitude stinks.  If you want your stuff to sell, bite your tongue and be nice. No matter how much of a dick you think the potential buyer is being. This is basic customer service / sales knowledge. Any idiot can respond by being rude, it takes a bigger man to bite your lip and be nice to them anyway. 

You can take the moral high ground and "be in the right" but it wont sell your stuff. Being nice, sells your stuff.

If someone low balls you, make a counter offer ffs. If you reject them straight away you've lost the sale.

As someone who sells two or three items per day on ebay (not guitar gear) I can tell you thats how I get about 90% of my sales. Someone offers, I counter and then that may repeat two or three times until we agree on a price. Very few people pay the asking price, most will want a bit taking off - thats just the way people are. If I rejected every initial 'low ball' offer I got then I would barely sell anything. Basic haggling. Theres a reason that sytem is there on ebay.

If someone tells you your price is to high, there is no need to be nasty about it. Ask them how much they want to pay, and be prepared to come down a bit on your price within reason. Start the haggling process not the arguing process.

Common sense to me, but some people dont seem to get it. Good luck with your sales if you have a bad attitude towards your buyers.

Customer service doesn't really apply when it's just someone selling their own guitar on the internet.

There's a world of difference between someone wanting to sell their own guitar for a specific price and someone looking to make as much profit as they can on several items every day. A lot of people selling their guitar can wait until they get a reasonable buyer willing to pay the right price, they're not in a hurry to shift it on as part of some business.

I don't think anyone's suggesting replying to a polite offer with abuse just because it's too low, it's when they're obnoxious about it by saying it's "over priced" or "you'll never get more than x" for it. People who say things like that don't deserve respect. Maybe they're used to small businesses cow towing to their arrogance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    Applause for @thegummy ;

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom