"Your item is over-priced..."

What's Hot

Comments

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    mbe said:
    Anyone said, "Your item is over-priced..." to a shop?
    No but I would never say that to a private seller either, I would say how much I would be willing to pay or perhaps share evidence of sold items on ebay which I guess you could argue amounts to the same but at the end of the day its sellers decison what value he wants to set and what he wants to sell for and I am always respectful of that. The OP is all about once that stage is reached in negotiations the person allegedly got abusive.

For what it's worth though I have offered stores under the asking price and done very well out of it in the past. You don't ask you don't get
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    CMW335 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    impmann said:
    JezWynd said:

I'm all for a haggle but if something is more expensive than you can afford, why be dick about it?
    Don’t assume that they can’t afford it. Lots of rich people get that way because they begrudge paying the going rate for anything. 
    THIS

I've had someone on here give me a story, I needed to sell, so dropped my trousers a bit.

When he turned up to collect he proudly informed me he'd been on a tour of the South East picking up other amps he'd bought off others on here. So I guess he wasn't that hard up after all.

It pissed me off even more when the amp was relisted a short while after for more than I sold it for. 

You live and learn. 

In this scenario though you have been made an offer you are happy enough with to sell for so whats the issue? Perhaps you would still be trying to sell it now if not for that guy.

Not a dig at you I just think people are quick to get all upset if buyers try and sell gear on at a higher price but said it before we are all grown up enough to decide the prices we are happy to buy or sell for. Once that parts done then what does it matter what the new owner does?

If buying gear I stick to some simple rules

1 - I don't buy new as I know I will likely lose money even if i try and sell it next day still in its cardboard box

2 - I don't buy anything second hand for a price I don't think I can recover should I want/need to sell it on and yeah I go in with low offers to kick start negotiations

When Selling

1 - I mark up a little to account for lowballers with the exception of the forum where i generally list things at my desired price

2 - I never sell at a price I am not comfortable with and I don't care what the new owner does with it

Either way I am always respectful that buyers and sellers have their own valuation and their own best price, if I don't want to meet that price then I move on I certainly don't get abusive. 

No dig taken.

I didn't appreciate being told a story taken into account when considering the offer made, which then appeared to be total bullshit.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    mbe said:
    No, however I have had several well known retailers make extremely insultingly low offers on gear I have attempted to trade in.
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:

A bit melodramatic I’m sure we all like a bargain nothing wrong with trying to get one. Nobody is forcing anyone to sell and it works both ways as I have had numerous offers under my asking prices on almost anything I have sold ever... never accepted one I didn’t want to and never cared what happens to the item when I do sell.
    So, in your opinion, is there never anything wrong with trying to get a bargain or are there some occasions when it would be immoral?
    There's an infinite amount of scenarios you can judge that on I am comfortable with how my moral compass is set. I am talking about the simple tactic of offering under the asking price for a second hand item then negotiating from there if that makes me a bad guy then I'm guilty, flog me.. I am not going to enquire about someones personal circumstances before making an offer on their guitar.. do you do that? Do you always go in and pay someones asking price without making an offer?
    It sounds like that in a roundabout way you're accepting there are plenty of circumstances that making low offers would be exploitative but that you justify it by assuming the seller is also a "profit as much as possible" type who will simply confidently say no to any offers that don't satisfy them.

The reality is, though, that a lot of people selling are not that type of person and are often very much in need of money. They might not have got any offers for a couple of days then feel forced to take your low offer in fear that no others will come and they'll be left without money that they need.

Could understand if the maximum you would pay is under their asking price so telling them to get back to you if it doesn't sell for more but you say you're offering lower than you would pay in the hope that there are circumstances - that you don't want to know about - cause them to accept and get you a bargain at the other person's expense.

Obviously I can't stop you doing anything, just like there's no way to really stop anyone doing terrible things they do but when you say there's nothing wrong with it that's not correct, you just don't care about it. It's the same logic as those people who claim there's nothing wrong with 10'000% pay day loans because no one "has to" take one.

Edit: forgot to answer your question - of course I wouldn't make a low offer, surely that would be clear by me saying it's not right. If someone's price was too high I'd just continue looking.
    I am not sure which one of us has the grip on reality here to be honest. You are determined to assume I am the type to swindle pensioners out of their savings so by all means make that assumption I will stick with the reality I know.

Get off your high horse, ebay and reverb both facilitate offers and the seller can choose whether to utilise these (many are happy to do so) just the same as a seller can state no offers in their descriptions on here. in those scenarios I move on if I don't want to meet the asking price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    Anything ‘used’ is up for negotiation as far as I’m concerned, and any offer can be ignored, countered or rejected. Cars, houses, guitar gear, you name it.

If something is priced competitively it’ll sell. If it isn’t then it'll hang around for ages til someone who hasn’t done their homework buys it or the price comes down to a competitive level. I usually don’t bother replying to chancers but if something is still around after a month, as hard as it might be, I’ll be willing to listen to offers. If someone wants to tell me something is overpriced they’d better have empirical evidence!!
  • This I get, totally.

BS stories to get lower prices. 

Or, I can only afford - a grand less than you're asking (I had that from a shop on ebay - albeit didn't know it was a shop) and people turning up in a range rover, with big guitar collections. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    CMW335 said:
    mbe said:
    No but I would never say that to a private seller either, I would say how much I would be willing to pay or perhaps share evidence of sold items on ebay which I guess you could argue amounts to the same but at the end of the day its sellers decison what value he wants to set and what he wants to sell for and I am always respectful of that. The OP is all about once that stage is reached in negotiations the person allegedly got abusive.

For what it's worth though I have offered stores under the asking price and done very well out of it in the past. You don't ask you don't get
    i bought a squier strat once from a young kid (early 20s not 6) who clearly didn''t have a lot, he had priced it with the affinitys and it was a standard in great nick so I paid him more than his asking price.  

This week I sold a strat to another young kid who was off to uni so I let him have the hard case I didn't want to include, he did pay me a bit extra not the value of the case, plus I gave him a pedal as he was just getting into them.
    edited July 2019
    munckee said:
    CMW335 said:
    mbe said:

i bought a squier strat once from a young kid (early 20s not 6) who clearly didn''t have a lot, he had priced it with the affinitys and it was a standard in great nick so I paid him more than his asking price.  

This week I sold a strat to another young kid who was off to uni so I let him have the hard case I didn't want to include, he did pay me a bit extra not the value of the case, plus I gave him a pedal as he was just getting into them.
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread I dropped my asking price by £300 on a guitar for another FBer who really wanted the guitar but didn't have the cash so I took a small deposit and waited a few weeks for the rest. I was offered full price in the meantime and didn't take it as I had accepted a deposit. I have also given stuff away in the past, loads of stuff to people in greater need including money. My wife shaved her head for MacMillian Cancer Support and I threw in a hefty contribution but lets not deviate from the objective here to affirm my status as a complete charlatan bereft of morality by someone who has never met me or knows nothing about me.

btw the same person who bought that guitar offered me a trade a year down the line and said I could choose from a list of stuff he had amounting to over £10ks worth and that my very guitars best price was £500 more than he paid me. Doesn't upset me in the slightest, amused me rather as I sold at a price I was happy with and nobody forced the transaction. As far as Im concerned the guys done nothing wrong, his guitar now he can set the price for it.. just a bit silly to offer it back to the person he got it from for £500 less  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    CMW335 said:
    munckee said:
    CMW335 said:
    mbe said:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I dropped my asking price by £300 on a guitar for another FBer who really wanted the guitar but didn't have the cash so I took a small deposit and waited a few weeks for the rest. I was offered full price in the meantime and didn't take it as I had accepted a deposit. I have also given stuff away in the past, loads of stuff to people in greater need including money. My wife shaved her head for MacMillian Cancer Support and I threw in a hefty contribution but lets not deviate from the objective here to affirm my status as a complete charlatan bereft of marality by someone who has never met me or knows nothing about me.

btw the same person who bought that guitar offered me a trade a year down the line and said I could choose from a list of stuff he had amounting to over £10ks worth and that my very guitars best price was £500 more than he paid me. Doesn't upset me in the slightest, amused me rather as I sold at a price i was happy with and nobody forced the transaction.
    I wasn't trying to do that just I have improved deals on circumstances as I find them. Conversely I put a tv unit on eBay years ago and a lady paid quite a lot more than it cost to buy new. She wasn't particularly nice so I let her pay it. 

I wasnt highlighting morals. 
    munckee said:
    CMW335 said:
    munckee said:
    CMW335 said:
    mbe said:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I dropped my asking price by £300 on a guitar for another FBer who really wanted the guitar but didn't have the cash so I took a small deposit and waited a few weeks for the rest. I was offered full price in the meantime and didn't take it as I had accepted a deposit. I have also given stuff away in the past, loads of stuff to people in greater need including money. My wife shaved her head for MacMillian Cancer Support and I threw in a hefty contribution but lets not deviate from the objective here to affirm my status as a complete charlatan bereft of marality by someone who has never met me or knows nothing about me.

btw the same person who bought that guitar offered me a trade a year down the line and said I could choose from a list of stuff he had amounting to over £10ks worth and that my very guitars best price was £500 more than he paid me. Doesn't upset me in the slightest, amused me rather as I sold at a price i was happy with and nobody forced the transaction.
    I wasn't trying to do that just I have improved deals on circumstances as I find them. Conversely I put a tv unit on eBay years ago and a lady paid quite a lot more than it cost to buy new. She wasn't particularly nice so I let her pay it. 

I wasnt highlighting morals. 
    Sorry it wasn't aimed at you I quoted your post to demonstrate my similar acts of kindess  =)

The comment was aimed at @thegummy who has asserted that I am a proper wrong'un 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    mbe said:
    Yes, you ask, “what’s your best price”  always some wriggle room with a Shop
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    CMW335 said:
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:

A bit melodramatic I’m sure we all like a bargain nothing wrong with trying to get one. Nobody is forcing anyone to sell and it works both ways as I have had numerous offers under my asking prices on almost anything I have sold ever... never accepted one I didn’t want to and never cared what happens to the item when I do sell.
    So, in your opinion, is there never anything wrong with trying to get a bargain or are there some occasions when it would be immoral?
    There's an infinite amount of scenarios you can judge that on I am comfortable with how my moral compass is set. I am talking about the simple tactic of offering under the asking price for a second hand item then negotiating from there if that makes me a bad guy then I'm guilty, flog me.. I am not going to enquire about someones personal circumstances before making an offer on their guitar.. do you do that? Do you always go in and pay someones asking price without making an offer?
    It sounds like that in a roundabout way you're accepting there are plenty of circumstances that making low offers would be exploitative but that you justify it by assuming the seller is also a "profit as much as possible" type who will simply confidently say no to any offers that don't satisfy them.

The reality is, though, that a lot of people selling are not that type of person and are often very much in need of money. They might not have got any offers for a couple of days then feel forced to take your low offer in fear that no others will come and they'll be left without money that they need.

Could understand if the maximum you would pay is under their asking price so telling them to get back to you if it doesn't sell for more but you say you're offering lower than you would pay in the hope that there are circumstances - that you don't want to know about - cause them to accept and get you a bargain at the other person's expense.

Obviously I can't stop you doing anything, just like there's no way to really stop anyone doing terrible things they do but when you say there's nothing wrong with it that's not correct, you just don't care about it. It's the same logic as those people who claim there's nothing wrong with 10'000% pay day loans because no one "has to" take one.

Edit: forgot to answer your question - of course I wouldn't make a low offer, surely that would be clear by me saying it's not right. If someone's price was too high I'd just continue looking.
    I am not sure which one of us has the grip on reality here to be honest. You are determined to assume I am the type to swindle pensioners out of their savings so by all means make that assumption I will stick with the reality I know.

Get off your high horse, ebay and reverb both facilitate offers and the seller can choose whether to utilise these (many are happy to do so) just the same as a seller can state no offers in their descriptions on here. in those scenarios I move on if I don't want to meet the asking price.

I haven't assumed anything, I'm saying that, just like you think someone is wrong to scam pensioners, I think your tactic of offering less than you feel something is worth and are willing to pay in the hope that they have some reason to accept that offer is wrong.

I don't think it's on the same level or assume you would go any further than you openly say you would.

The pensioner scammer would probably just tell you to get off your high horse too because it isn't a meaningful thing to say, it just means "don't judge me for doing something immoral".

Do you really not think the reality is that some people will feel forced to take the lower price due to being in unfortunate circumstances? The idea of "they don't have to accept" is the same as the pay day loans I mentioned.

I'm glad to see you made active attempts to prove you're a good person; I definitely don't get any joy out of calling anyone out or feeling morally superior, it depresses me to see people boast that they don't care if they're exploiting someone because it's a dog eat dog world.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm just going to leave this, it's an emotional thing for me and not interesting discussion for anyone to read or join in on.

Of course cmw is very welcome to reply but I'm just going to clarify I don't assume anything about you other than what you've said and leave it at that.

Sometimes emotions can make me argue when I only intend to be on this forum to discuss.
    thegummy said:
    I'm just going to leave this, it's an emotional thing for me and not interesting discussion for anyone to read or join in on.

Of course cmw is very welcome to reply but I'm just going to clarify I don't assume anything about you other than what you've said and leave it at that.

Sometimes emotions can make me argue when I only intend to be on this forum to discuss.
    hug?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Why has this turned into some kind of shitfest ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:
    thegummy said:
    CMW335 said:

I haven't assumed anything, I'm saying that, just like you think someone is wrong to scam pensioners, I think your tactic of offering less than you feel something is worth and are willing to pay in the hope that they have some reason to accept that offer is wrong.

I don't think it's on the same level or assume you would go any further than you openly say you would.

The pensioner scammer would probably just tell you to get off your high horse too because it isn't a meaningful thing to say, it just means "don't judge me for doing something immoral".

Do you really not think the reality is that some people will feel forced to take the lower price due to being in unfortunate circumstances? The idea of "they don't have to accept" is the same as the pay day loans I mentioned.

I'm glad to see you made active attempts to prove you're a good person; I definitely don't get any joy out of calling anyone out or feeling morally superior, it depresses me to see people boast that they don't care if they're exploiting someone because it's a dog eat dog world.
    Wow heaven will be a lonely place for you if that’s what we are judged on at the Pearly Gates.

You seem determined to assume one extreme, how about the other where the seller I am offering to has exploited the guy he got it from, has deliberately marked up his price or bought something dirt cheap maybe even stole it. Should I give those guys full asking price?

I have never boasted about exploiting anyone nor have I set out to exploit anybody. You seem to have a real hard on for me for some reason so can I request politely that you stop perpetuating that I am some monster because I have made an offer under an asking price on a guitar. I’m taking that as a personal attack and totally uncalled for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Why has this turned into some kind of shitfest ? 
    Can only apologise for my part in that. It won't continue.
    thegummy said:

My last reply came before I saw this one. I too am happy to leave it at that, like you say it’s off on a tangent now and of no value to others.
  • I do wonder what has happened to this forum, seems to have changed in the years I've been a member and not for the better.

Lots of keyboard warriors and assumers.

Remember, like a certain UK USA diplomate, once youve called someone inept, you can't really run away and say I'll leave it at that, please don't respond. 

Posts about price do seem to become a bit of a bear pit, so perhaps best avoided by people with tempers and the keyboard warriors. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I do wonder what has happened to this forum, seems to have changed in the years I've been a member and not for the better.

Lots of keyboard warriors and assumers.

Remember, like a certain UK USA diplomate, once youve called someone inept, you can't really run away and say I'll leave it at that, please don't respond. 

Posts about price do seem to become a bit of a bear pit, so perhaps best avoided by people with tempers and the keyboard warriors. 

That's all very true, seen a few unwarranted attacks on here lately and didn't expect I would be on the receiving end of one.