Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

THE THORPYFX TOURBOX Commences - Team Medic & Warthog Thoughts & Reviews

What's Hot

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    soma1975 said:

@ThorpyFX Is new new dual boost the same size as the team medic? 

All the new pedals are the V2 smaller enclosures. The Heavy Water is the most stunning of all the Thorpy finishes. I played around with it last night and it's glorious!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Cool. I'm having a dual boost rangemaster/Bad Bob thing built for me at the mo but I think that particular Thorpy pedal would be right up my street. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    edited August 2019
    @noisepolluter ;;
    @soma1975 ;;

I never expected such detailed reviews chaps; excellent stuff, and I like how you related to the gear and your current set ups. 
    A very big thanks to all so far, and we appreciate your time and insights.

I think a few have already highlighted the 'musical' nature of the Team Medic EQ; I agree and hitherto, i feel that most of us would not think an EQ could be so musical and influential !
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Have we got a schedule list for this @Wazmeister ? Not sure when it's coming my way. 
    Fuengi said:
    Have we got a schedule list for this @Wazmeister ? Not sure when it's coming my way. 
    Mark, do you fancy being up next ?

Its due to arrives with Liam @failed_astronaut so you could be next week ? 
    I sent it on to @mark_jwedge last weekend. No idea who has it now or whether it has been sold for 5 magic beans.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:

Yes, that would be great. Good timing for me too. 
    Fuengi said:
    Fuengi said:

Yes, that would be great. Good timing for me too. 
    Excellent - all yours mate !
  • Posted to @failed_astronaut special delivery this morning so should be with him tomorrow.

Really enjoyed testing out the pedals this last week. Will get my review up asap
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I think I've been skipped in the list? @Wazmeister ;
    Cheers

• Thanks guys, I'll try to put together some thoughts on my expectations this afternoon.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    Cheers
    Hiya Winton,

No, you have been skipped mate :)

There is no fixed running order, as it needs to change to meet reviewers work and holiday needs. 
    The main aim in this period is to acccomodate people's holiday, requests and needs.

Do you want to follow after @Fuengi ?
    Cheers
    Hiya Winton,

There is no fixed running order, as it needs to change to meet reviewers work and holiday needs. 
    The main aim in this period is to acccomodate people's holiday, requests and needs.

Send it to @Winny_Pooh first then to me, that's absolutely fine.
    Fuengi said:
    Cheers
    Hiya Winton,

Send it to @Winny_Pooh first then to me, that's absolutely fine.
    No mate, it's ok - you're next on the list :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    That's kind, cheers fellas :)
  • Ok so my review is a bit late but I tried to film a couple of little demo videos of the team medic and warthog but as I have no clue what I am doing it took three days for me to get them on YouTube!!

So first impressions were the same as all the other Thorpy pedals, rock solid build and very pleasing aesthetic. The new smaller form factor is awesome. 

So the scope and range of tones from these two pedals is superb and particularly with the team medic they can both be used in a variety of ways so instead of trying to show the whole range of what each pedal can do I tried to make a video of how I would use the pedals in my rig and compare them to the pedals I already have doing that job. So the warthog would be my main drive, a spot currently taken by a petty John gold and the team medic would be my solo boost, a spot currently taken by a Boss GE-7. The GE-7 is one I actually bought from Thorpy and has been modded by him so is a superb EQ in its own right.

Rig used is a 2008 R8 Les Paul with oil city Beano pickups, warthog, petty John Gold, Greer Lightspeed, GE-7 then the team medic into a Top Hat Emplexador head and Modulus 2x12 with a V30 and G-12h 70th anniversary.

Overall thoughts - the warthog isn’t a pedal I would use simply because I am a firm fan of British voiced pedals. However it sounds superb, what struck me is how dynamic and articulate it is. It also is a very clear pedal, even under heavy drive the notes are clear and ring out true. It has more clarity and dynamics then even the petty John and makes me think that the more British  voiced Gunshot could be the perfect pedal for me.

The team medic and the GE-7 was a much closer run thing but the team medic just shaded it as it has a touch more clarity and dynamics again but also the sound seemed to have a very pleasing harmonic quality to it, someone else said ‘musical’ and I can see what they are saying. The EQ is very powerful but never sounds harsh or fatiguing.

Anyway, hope the links to the videos work. I have never done anything like this before so it’s a bit shit and was just recorded on my phone but it was fun nonetheless.

Massive thanks to @Wazmeister ;
    and @ThorpyFX for doing this, it has been great

https://youtu.be/rHD81zBF2Wk

https://youtu.be/OZqq1R1S3Xc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lovely review and clips mate. 

• My initial impression is that the Team Medic is a bad pedal. It is a bad pedal because 5 minutes after plugging it in and tweaking the knobs a bit, I realised how sh*t my rig sounded before!

At "reasonable" house volumes, the Warthog isn't quite getting to shine but I can tell that there is a lot in it that I can use so I'm looking forward to giving it some welly at a couple of gigs this week.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    Lovely review and clips mate. 
    Cheers bud
    Ok so my review is a bit late but I tried to film a couple of little demo videos of the team medic and warthog but as I have no clue what I am doing it took three days for me to get them on YouTube!!

So first impressions were the same as all the other Thorpy pedals, rock solid build and very pleasing aesthetic. The new smaller form factor is awesome. 

So the scope and range of tones from these two pedals is superb and particularly with the team medic they can both be used in a variety of ways so instead of trying to show the whole range of what each pedal can do I tried to make a video of how I would use the pedals in my rig and compare them to the pedals I already have doing that job. So the warthog would be my main drive, a spot currently taken by a petty John gold and the team medic would be my solo boost, a spot currently taken by a Boss GE-7. The GE-7 is one I actually bought from Thorpy and has been modded by him so is a superb EQ in its own right.

Rig used is a 2008 R8 Les Paul with oil city Beano pickups, warthog, petty John Gold, Greer Lightspeed, GE-7 then the team medic into a Top Hat Emplexador head and Modulus 2x12 with a V30 and G-12h 70th anniversary.

Overall thoughts - the warthog isn’t a pedal I would use simply because I am a firm fan of British voiced pedals. However it sounds superb, what struck me is how dynamic and articulate it is. It also is a very clear pedal, even under heavy drive the notes are clear and ring out true. It has more clarity and dynamics then even the petty John and makes me think that the more British  voiced Gunshot could be the perfect pedal for me.

The team medic and the GE-7 was a much closer run thing but the team medic just shaded it as it has a touch more clarity and dynamics again but also the sound seemed to have a very pleasing harmonic quality to it, someone else said ‘musical’ and I can see what they are saying. The EQ is very powerful but never sounds harsh or fatiguing.

Anyway, hope the links to the videos work. I have never done anything like this before so it’s a bit shit and was just recorded on my phone but it was fun nonetheless.

Massive thanks to @Wazmeister ;
    and @ThorpyFX for doing this, it has been great

https://youtu.be/rHD81zBF2Wk

https://youtu.be/OZqq1R1S3Xc
    Mark, man... another GREAT review !!

I echo your thoughts about the Warthog's ability to be racous, and yet keep the clear notes underneath. 

And our first videos ! Loved em mate, and thanks for goign to all that trouble.
    I really enjoyed the comparison of the Team Medic and the GE7 - I thought the TM sounded deeper and way better. Awesome, in fact. Your playing really came to life as the power and drive errupted. The note sustain on 2.55 was beautiful !

So rarely do we get those kind of comparison videos, and they really help to show off the cost vs benefits of each pedal. The Thorpy stuff really shone here imho :)

Cheers Mark - awesome.