Boss SY-1

What's Hot

Comments

• This is very much my thing too. I'd *love* to get some nice, squishy synth sounds. I dial in a big muff to sound a bit like a glitch synth but it means it doesn't sound muffy! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690

I think this looks awesome!! As a solo artist having things that can expand the sonic landscape at my feet is hugely helpful.

Personally I think a middle ground between the SY300 and the SY-1 would best suit my needs. The ability to switch a sound with my feet and not bend down and turn dials is essential, so maybe one day in the future we might get a SY-200, with a few presets and a bit more choice over which parameters can be  adjusted with an expression pedals.

Maybe they could release that at the same time as the RV-200 :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The Enzo covers my needs for synth + presets at the moment, but a SY200 would be brilliant
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    with the new form factor *200 pedals, an sy200 would be really cool. But would it just steal the sales from the 300?
    i imagine they're thought process is - want simple - sy1, want bells and whistles - sy300.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Does anyone know when these are due to get into shops? Definitely on my want list but want to keep hold of my money until they're actually available...
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Beexter said:
    Does anyone know when these are due to get into shops? Definitely on my want list but want to keep hold of my money until they're actually available...
    Asked PMT the other day who said their first preorder batch will ship by the end of this month but was due to all sell out on preorder very soon, probably have now. They said the second wave of preorder would ship in August. So this might be when they hit shops generally.
    I expect this will be same/similar for other suppliers.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Yes, I've just cancelled my pre-order as the delivery date has been pushed back... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    I'll wait until they actually hit stores. No major rush. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Ahhh! more gear lust - want one.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • New demo by McRoclikn. Sounds awesome straight into an interface. Will be brilliant for  post apocalyptic retro/futuristic  soundscapes

https://youtu.be/syVfJjuM-84
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17583
    tFB Trader
    Rabea demo sounds amazing.

I really want one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Sweetwater demo, worth checking out even if only for the long-haired bloke's wardrobe malfunction :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    For some reason I find Rabea's demos quite grating, despite the fact he's a talented guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I definitely fancy one of those, I love synth sounds on guitar. One of my favourite ever tracks is Pat Metheny's Are you going with me
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    Anyone got theirs yet? As I'm working from home today, I thought I'd pop into the local music shop to pick up my second (!) pedalboard and new expression pedal that he's been holding for me for a while. 

And guess what pedal he had in his Boss cabinet....he said he was going to tell me eventually! 

So I only had five minutes because I had to get a prescription, but I cycled through all the sounds and spent a bit longer on the ones I really liked the sound of and...well, to be honest, this thing is incredible. Yes, a few of the sounds on the dial of 1-11 within each preset were perhaps forgettable, but I'd say a good 70-80% of the sounds in the pedal are very usable. 

Wonderful range of analog and digital sounding synths in the Lead and Pad sections, an incredible Sequencer section with some amazing arpeggio sounds and a really useful Rate knob, a really versatile Organ section (oo er)...there's so much in this pedal. Considering each notch on the dial gives a range of 11 presets each...there's just so much to choose from. It even had a decent bitcrusher, and the 11th preset for each of the sections tended to be a harmonised octave section. 

It's so easy to use, with fantastic note tracking, and yes you have to ensure a bit of consistency of attack but it's nowhere near as fiddly as the Meris Enzo or even the fairly simple EHX Synth 9. And it's all polyphonic! 

If you want a synth where you can perfect and really deeply edit every element of the synth sound, as well as adding other effects within the same box and save presets, then the Meris Enzo is probably still your best bet. But it can be a very fiddly beast and doesn't lend itself to speed or brevity. 

But for sheer versatility, ease of use and price, the Boss SY-1 is incredible. Absolutely blown away by it, and now I just need to find a way to afford it. 

I used one of the new Player Teles into a Katana 100 in the shop, as that reflects most closely my home setup. I don't know whether you'd maybe want a compressor before the SY-1 just to even out the attack and definition and ensure the sound is consistent, but the results from just putting the guitar through the pedal into the amp were very good. Even better when I dialed in some delay and reverb on the Katana's top panel. 

I know some might prefer the SY-300 (?) for deeper editing etc, but the fact that Boss have managed to fit some very usable synth sounds of this quality into one of their regular stompboxes is just astounding. Granted, some of that 20%ish of sounds that weren't as impressive sounded more like your rough multi-fx approximations, but the rest were genuinely excellent quality. The only drawback is that you might need to write down your favourite settings unless you have an eidetic memory. 

I know I'm waffling on but honestly, if you can find one in a shop, try it out and spend some time with it. It's brilliant. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Does the sy300 have everything the sy1 does (plus more obviously) ?

sgosden said:

Does the sy300 have everything the sy1 does (plus more obviously) ?

I think so - the SY-1 is effectively a scaled-down version of the SY-300. I'd imagine some of the sounds are not quite up to the same quality as those of the SY-300 but I might be wrong. 
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    Just glad i put all my synths in the loft a few years ago....
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Did the same with guitar synths, loved the sound but hated the silly hex pickups and the rubbish tracking - this has peaked my interest though as it does away with both
    John_A said:
    Did the same with guitar synths, loved the sound but hated the silly hex pickups and the rubbish tracking - this has peaked my interest though as it does away with both
    DO IT DO IT DO IT. 

The shop owner is now teasing me with a cheeky finance deal. Sigh.