Fitting Jazz Bass Bridge Cover

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
Just taken delivery of a Classic 60's Jazz bass and would like to fit bridge and pickup covers. The covers arrived without screws and pickguard screws are too small and I'm wondering which screws are a fit.

I've downloaded a template for locating the screw holes but the template seems inaccurate, the hole points do not match exactly to the cover holes (variation of 2mm, not a lot but enough to put everything out of whack).  Using the template I've managed to find a position that looks true but I'm unsure how best to proceed. The finish is urethane, doesn't seem overly thick, does anyone have tips on installing these things?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Pickguard screws should be the right size, Fender used the same ones.

In which direction is the template out? Obviously if it puts the cover too far forward that's a problem - just move it back far enough to clear the bridge and the ball ends.

I would put some masking tape on the body to mark the positions, that way you can use a pen/pencil without indenting the finish until you're sure it's right. Then drill through the tape, which should help to stop chipping. (Although original Fenders very often are chipped around the holes.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:
    Pickguard screws should be the right size, Fender used the same ones.
    Yes, you are right. Looking at them in the packet they looked too mall for the holes but I've checked and they do fit okay.

In which direction is the template out? Obviously if it puts the cover too far forward that's a problem - just move it back far enough to clear the bridge and the ball ends.

The template gives positions for two styles -

The Modified holes conceal the pickup completely, whereas the Stock holes allow the pickup screws to stand proud of the cover which I think is the correct location. Here's a pic with it in Stock position. The perspective is slightly skewed but you get the idea. As you can see the bridge plate holes are wider apart than the template.

Thanks for the tip about drilling through tape, I'll do that.

Ah, I see - it's the spacing not the front-to-back location. It looks to me like the holes need to be where the 'cross hairs' intersect the outer circles, rather than the middle of the cross-hair. (ie very slightly further to the bass side than you have it there, but only fractionally.)

I think the correct position is with the pickup fully covered, actually - just as long as it doesn't hit the ball ends it will fit OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23924
    Bass weight increases. 
     No muting at the bridge.

Its a nope from me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Mission accomplished...

Strung with Fender Nylon Tapewound 58-110's. First time with tapewound; think I prefer plain flats but they're perfectly okay strings. I'll play them for a month or two and see how they settle down. Loving the Jazz neck, further up the board it reminds me of the Ric, with its flat back, very easy to play. Surprised at how low output the pickups are but I've been playing a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound until very recently so that might explain it. Pickup heights are a bit low too, so I'll have a play with it. Straight out of the box intonation and setup was damn near perfect. V impressed.

ps. If the covers look out of whack to you, please keep it to yourself ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited July 2019
    JezWynd said:
    The template gives positions for two styles
    The second option on the template is to allow for higher mass bridges such as the Leo Quann BadAss.

No muting at the bridge.
    Worse!

On older bridge covers, there would have been a foam strip glued on inside to act as a permanent string mute.

Plink. Plonk. Plunk.
    Be seeing you.
    JezWynd said:
    The template gives positions for two styles
    The second option on the template is to allow for higher mass bridges such as the Leo Quann BadAss.

No muting at the bridge.
    Worse!

On older bridge covers, there would have been a foam strip glued on inside to act as a permanent string mute.

Plink. Plonk. Plunk.
    I wondered what the modified option was for (it’s the one I used as it hides the bridge pu completely). I thought that the high mass bridges were larger and sat further back on the body, which would mean the modified position wouldn’t work?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23924
    Can’t play right over the bridge pickup for that Jaco tone either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That looks fine to me. You wouldn't want the cover any further back, or the lip on the bass side would be over the arm contour and leave a gap under the edge. (It is very slightly as it is, but not bad.)

Not sure what the difference in the positions is, I've never fitted one to a bass that didn't have one originally.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    ICBM said:
    Not sure what the difference in the positions is, I've never fitted one to a bass that didn't have one originally.
    60s vs 70s position?
    ICBM said:
    That looks fine to me. You wouldn't want the cover any further back, or the lip on the bass side would be over the arm contour and leave a gap under the edge. (It is very slightly as it is, but not bad.)

Yes, you're right, there's a slight gap under the back of the plate on the bass side but moving the cover further forward would mean it touches the string ball ends which could give problems. The placement of the bridge seems to have moved with different versions of the bass, some look to have it set so far back that fitting a cover would be impossible, or perhaps the body shape has subtly changed in different versions of the Jazz Bass?
    BTW. Can anyone tell me if using tapewounds affects the output from the. pickups? Output is quite low; there's room for the pickups to be raised a couple of mm but I'm wondering if the strings are having an effect or it's just a case of low output pickups. They sound fine, certainly have the Jazz Bass signature sound, so no complaints there.
    JezWynd said:
    BTW. Can anyone tell me if using tapewounds affects the output from the. pickups? Output is quite low; there's room for the pickups to be raised a couple of mm but I'm wondering if the strings are having an effect or it's just a case of low output pickups. They sound fine, certainly have the Jazz Bass signature sound, so no complaints there.
    Nylon tapewounds usually have a slightly lower output than roundwounds or flatwounds, simply because less of the string is metal.

ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    Nylon tapewounds usually have a slightly lower output than roundwounds or flatwounds, simply because less of the string is metal.
    Thanks ICBM, I wondered if that might have an effect. I think I'll stick with the tapewounds; now I've adjusted to them they are very pleasant to use, they have a double bass like feel and sound. Probably not the best idea to fit strings I've never used on a bass I've never used - too many variables when it comes to resolving issues.