Used, non-bank-breaking Porsche or similar - what are you experiences?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
Caveat: this is mostly idle curiosity - it'd be next year before I was in a position to actually consider it seriously, but it's on my mind so thought I'd open the conversation  =)

So this is VERY much a midlife worst type thing but I do know that at some point I'd LOVE to waste a few quid on owning a sports car (not a soft sport-Y car but something like a 911 or similarly "proper")

I'll never be paying for anything almost new, but I'm also aware that "there's nothing so expensive as a cheap Ferrari" as someone said in another thread recently. 

So has anyone been down this route - bought a modestly priced well engineered sports car just for the glow of ownership for a while? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
    (by all means mock away :-)
    Red ones are better. 
  • By all means get the Porsche...
    ... but how will you live with those nagging doubts... when you continually ask yourself... "Why didn't I go the extra mile - and get a Veloster?"
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By all means get the Porsche...
    ... but how will you live with those nagging doubts... when you continually ask yourself... "Why didn't I go the extra mile - and get a Veloster?"
    :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Cayman S is a seriously good car
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Morgan... and a WW2 flying jacket... and you're done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cayman S is a seriously good car
    Noted, ta
    Red ones are better. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Ok, so I only have second hand experience of this...but basically my FIL bought a 1994 911 993 (M reg) approx 8-10 years ago for around 14k from a bloke near leeds. 

It certainly wasn't mint or pristine, BUT my FIL is VERY meticulous when it comes to purchases like this, so wouldn't have bought a dud and lo-and-behold, when I took him up there to collect it, it was very well looked after. Usual wear and tear but the interior was pretty spotless and was generally in good nick. 

He's spent a few quid here and there replacing and fixing a few bits of rust and other bits and pieces (soundproofing in the doors etc), but nothing major. 

If he sold it now, he'd quite easily make a tidy profit on it. 

For example, this one is listed on AT: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906128945232?advertising-location=at_cars

Similar condition to FILs. 

Basically, if you get the right one, you'll be getting an investment, from what I can gather. 

Servicing isn't cheap, but then if it's not an every day car, you won't be putting the miles/wear on it to warrant "regular" servicing. And if you're handy mechanically, you can do some of it yourself. 

The 993 is a lovely example. I got the pleasure of driving it back to our wedding reception venue when we got married (he's never let me near it since :D ). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24208
    The only thing I know is that the Cayman is a far better thing to drive than a 911.

Having driven my brother's ones, the Cayman is is lovely. It's far better designed, but also it suffers from "cheap" and "not a 911" views. Depends whether driving or posing is more important!

• Emperor Porschelous must surely have some viewpoint on this !?! ;)

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    Cayman - with a Porsche warranty.

Failing that (ie if you don't want to spend that much and/or want space in the car for more than 2 normal size humans), a mk2 TT (manual, petrol) which are available from £5k upwards nowadays with decent/full service histories.

I came close to the latter a couple of months ago.  Except that I then fell into the "for £2k more, I could get .... " trap. 

Which, when you go through that loop a few times, you end up looking at nearly new mk3 TTs instead.

And then you realise that with the discounts available, you might as well buy a brand new one.

Well, that was how my brain worked!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    edited July 2019
    Older 911s spent most of their time trying to spin you in to a hedge backwards. It wasn’t until the late 90s that they stopped being death traps in the wrong hands. 

I’d go for a 997 Carrera 4S, NOT the convertible version, as they’re only driven by recently divorced ladies. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I've got a Lotus Elise for my toy car; I've never looked at another car and thought I'd rather have that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d go for a 997 Carrera 4S, NOT the convertible version, as they’re only driven by recently divorced ladies. 

Hmmmm.... where do I find these recently divorced ladies?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    I’d go for a 997 Carrera 4S, NOT the convertible version, as they’re only driven by recently divorced ladies. 

Just look out for a 997 convertible.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    prowla said:
    I've got a Lotus Elise for my toy car; I've never looked at another car and thought I'd rather have that.
    I've been looking at those. What's that like in terms of running costs and depreciation? 
  • TTony said:

Just look out for a 997 convertible.  

Truth be told... I was hoping for someone a bit younger... not somebody rapidly approaching their first millenium.
    Oh... and she doesn't have to be convertible.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    celentium said:
    prowla said:
    I've been looking at those. What's that like in terms of running costs and depreciation? 
    I would worry about whether you can get in and out of one first...

But srsly, get a Toyota-engined one and you'll be fine.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    If you go for a 997, get the 3.6. The engine is far less problematical.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

joneve said:
    That one would be drastically out of any imagined budget
    Red ones are better. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16085
    Caymen is a great car
    Audi RS4 is faster, smoother, equal handling in the hands of a good driver, more comfortable, more practical and more reliable
    oh and did I say 'less girly "
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom