Used, non-bank-breaking Porsche or similar - what are you experiences?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    TimmyO said:
    I wouldn't be seen dead in an MX5 
    My boss ten years ago had a nearly new 911 and always nagged me to use it for running errands, I always took the Ford Focus instead. 

I did try it once and it drove ok, but I spent the whole time sliding down in the seat in case anyone I knew saw me. I would definitely have felt slightly less of a cock in an MX5.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited July 2019
    p90fool said:
    TimmyO said:
    My boss ten years ago had a nearly new 911 and always nagged me to use it for running errands, I always took the Ford Focus instead. 

I did try it once and it drove ok, but I spent the whole time sliding down in the seat in case anyone I knew saw me. I would definitely have felt slightly less of a cock in an MX5.

You could look even slightly less of a cock again in an Abarth 124 Spider. 

I’m not sure I’ll ever buy a toy car but if I did it would probably be a Mustang.

Until then cars are just transport and my next one (leased) will probably be electric if affordable.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:

Pity. You're missing out on a great car. 

If you want a sports car, you need money to burn (think what it'll cost, then double it, then also have a couple of grand saved for a rainy day) and you need to accept it'll be no fun to drive - it is purely for show. Too much traffic means no going fast, the suspension is crazy hard, the seats are designed for racing, not comfort and everything is there to push you to focus on driving fast - which you can't do. 

Porsches are common, and therefore uncool, now. In Cambridge there are loads of 911s. I actually get excited when I see a Caterham - all the same costs, but very different and much cooler. Might scratch the itch. You could also consider Japanese - if you got lucky, you might find a Honda NSX, officially the coolest car ever. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I say all of the above as someone with a friend in the racing engineering industry who drives nothing but sports cars. He loves them. But he gets to commute on autobahns and take them around tracks and mountain roads throughout Europe... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    My pal just got a 911 4S...about 12 years old, pretty mint £30k...nice,...but the fact is he discovered he really can’t afford to run it daily....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    rlw said:
    A brief Porsche tale.   My GT3 was in for a service and the bill was looking like the cheapest ever at sub £500.   But there was a small oil leak at the front of the engine which couldn’t be resolved any better without removing the engine.  Did I want to do that - 10 hours out and 10 hours back - and we could also resolve any other issues that were concealed by the engine.
    Long story short, the bill for that service was £5.5k plus vat and included a new subframe which just fell apart when removed, oil pipes and rads and loads more shit.
    I had a couple of empty credit cards so just swallowed heavily and paid up.  And that was on a FPSH car with low miles and little track use.
    And that’s what you need to be aware of.  Every Porsche I owned - 4x911 and a 944t cost a fucking fortune to run, easily eating up any short term price growth.
    Have you looked into getting their warranty?
    Too old
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    If you want the best Porsche Warranty- buy your car off Cridfords and get their warranty that they self underwrite.

Re running costs, I simply don't get this- Porsches are dirt cheap to service as long as you use JZ Machtech and those guys.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    p90fool said:
    TimmyO said:

We can never be friends 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    That sounds like Porsche are out the window as a sensible weekend car, for me anyway
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101

Pity. You're missing out on a great car. 

TimmyO said:

+1. If/when I sell the NSX, I'll most likely get a warmed-up MX5. Maybe one of the BBR versions. It has always been a superb car. My first had (I think) about 133bhp and something closer to 200 would be about perfect.

I had thought about the TT Quattro Sport (Mk1 for the Bauhaus looks) as that's a sure-fire future classic. Less fun than the MX5, though.
    I think of it like an Ibanez Turbo 109598w5XYZ9847521 Artiste would provide the opportunity to play all manner of wonderful songs, but I wouldn't hang one around my neck. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Similarly a Huyandai something is the Harley Benton with a pickup upgrade. There may be far better players than me gigging one daily with great success, but I'm too brand-whorey to go that route. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited July 2020
    The i30 N performance gets great reviews, but it sounds like you're not looking for a hot hatch.

Personally I'd get a BBR MX5 with the 220 kit. Plenty quick and great to drive.

If you want a straight line weapon for very little money then a Golf R with a Revo stage 1 tune will get to 60 in under 4 seconds. Or you could go all out and get a stage 3 with 450+bhp.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694

Off the record, all Porsche engineers agree that, in the basic disciplines that combine under the blanket term ‘handling’, the Cayman is the best sports car Porsche currently makes. And that includes any 911.'

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman-2005-2013/ride

I suspect I'm at the big softy end of wanting to own a sports car.

I find no pleasure in having "the fastest" but I do love the notion of having something which is obviously a sports car rather than an entirely practical car. But that doesn't mean I'd want to discard such taste and style as I have :-) 

I've never revved an engine at the lights and never bought a magazine telling me how to make my car go quicker, and I'd not have a beer with those who have :-) 

I really like the look of the Cayman - when the time comes I may or may not be able to afford something like that. I think the thread has already taught me that the 911 idea is a step too far realistically. Probably. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Wasn't Sporky doing something similarly mid-lifey?  

Where'd he go??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    TimmyO said:

I find no pleasure in having "the fastest" but I do love the notion of having something which is obviously a sports car rather than an entirely practical car. But that doesn't mean I'd want to discard such taste and style as I have :-) 

I've never revved an engine at the lights and never bought a magazine telling me how to make my car go quicker, and I'd not have a beer with those who have :-) 

I really like the look of the Cayman - when the time comes I may or may not be able to afford something like that. I think the thread has already taught me that the 911 idea is a step too far realistically. Probably. 
    So you want something that looks sporty but comfortable but you’re not really bothered how fast it goes or doing traffic light GPs? Tbh you sound like a perfect candidate for a Jag XK. The XKR if you want something with some ooomph. 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Sounds like you've got the Porsche itch and there's only one way to scratch it. :)

On the Cayman... there'd always be that nagging feeling that it's not 'the' Porsche. No matter how good it is.
    boogieman said:
    TimmyO said:

So you want something that looks sporty but comfortable but you’re not really bothered how fast it goes or doing traffic light GPs? Tbh you sound like a perfect candidate for a Jag XK. The XKR if you want something with some ooomph. 

no something that IS sporty, no particular comfort preference, and not bothered about it being fastER than thing x 
    Red ones are better. 
    In case anyone starts to peg me as doing what's going on in the other thread, I'm not asking for anyone to suggest what I might want, but to share their experiences of going down any vaguely similar route, because it will be interesting and educational. 
    Red ones are better.