Transformer power supply cable

DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
edited July 2019 in Making & Modding
My power Decibel 11 power supply has two 12V outs that I've never used so I've made a couple of these transforming cables with very cheap Chinese transformers off Amazon. The supply reads 9.13V on the meter at the pedal end now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Those aren’t transformers - they’re either a voltage regulator or a simple series diode dropper. Transformers don’t work on DC.

You may not need them, in fact - most 9V pedals will work perfectly happily at 12V, although it’s unwise to go any higher than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    edited July 2019
    Fair enough, voltage regulator/series diode dropper!

I was moved to do this when I was playing with the bias on my home made Mk2 Tonebender plugged into the 12V and smoke started coming out.

But that might just be the result of when someone who doesn't even know what a transformer is tries to make a pedal! o
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    That sounds more like the bias was set too far to 'on' and the transistor drew too much current - it might not make much difference what the supply voltage was. Does it still work? Smoke and transistors is not usually a good combination...

Any standard pedal which doesn't have 10V caps in the power supply - and it would be bad design to do so, since a poorly regulated 9V supply can put out up to 14V, unloaded - should be fine at 12V providing that supply is *also* regulated.

The big risk is when you get to 18V - either intentionally or with an unregulated 12V supply, which can be that high unloaded - since that can fry ICs and 16V caps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Got a link to those converters?
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    I got this pack of 2:

MagiDeal 2 Pieces DC-DC Step-down Power Module 12V (11-16V) to 9V 2.5A Car Power Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0799FKK29/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l9FkDbYHZ3AC0
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    DannyP said:
    I got this pack of 2:

MagiDeal 2 Pieces DC-DC Step-down Power Module 12V (11-16V) to 9V 2.5A Car Power Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0799FKK29/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l9FkDbYHZ3AC0
    Thanks,

R.