Flying in a blue dream....

What's Hot
I guess all of us have records from our childhood that we return to time after time. For me it's Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream. I was 12 when I first heard this record and had been playing guitar for a year. It completely blew my mind then and still does today, almost 30 years after I first heard it. After listening to FIABD I bought Surfing and played both albums over and over on my Walkman. I still have the cassettes! At the time I never listened to the Extremist and waited until about 2015 before listening to any of Satch's post-1992 stuff. Much of it is epic but none of it moves me like FIABD.

For me Flying in a Blue Dream is just a perfect, complete album. Some might knock Satch's vocal efforts although I find them no distraction from what is just a tour de force of guitar work and musicianship. Definitely my favourite Satriani album and probably one of my all time favourite records ever. If albums were allowed on the desert island this one would definitely be coming with me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    The title track is unbelievable. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got into Satriani after my dad bought me Extremist on cassette. I wore it out. 
    I learned Tears in the Rain for one of my guitar exams. 
  • My fave track on FIABD is without question the Forgotten Part 2. So full of emotion. I know some people find it cheesy but to me it is epic. In 2015 in Southend I met Satch at the gig and he was super cool. Asked him about celtic influences as I definitely hear it in a lot of his music. I enjoy climbing and mountaineering and whenever I'm up in the hills I hear Satch tunes in my head.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Totally awesome!! 
    Love it :D
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Whenever I listen to FIABD I have a very vivid memory of heading up to Lancaster University for the very first time on the train, listening to the album on my Walkman and wondering what this whole new world was going to be like. 

One of the first friends I met there loved the album too, she had a strong emotional connection/memory to I Believe. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Great album. Not listened to it in years, but will listen to it in a flight home tonight. 
    Will dig the vinyl out this week, and give it run. 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Not really into ‘guitar albums’ but this still gets a few plays every year. Great album
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Not one of my very favourite Satch albums, but the title track is epic. I would certainly have learned that a long time ago if it had been within my ability to play it.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Love it. The title track is my go-to Lydian song. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Only got into Satriani this year, the album I keep going back to is Time Machine. 
  • Holy shit, just listened to The Bells of Lal pt.2 for the first time. Smoking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Holy shit, just listened to The Bells of Lal pt.2 for the first time. Smoking.
    Ah yeah!
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Remember seeing the tab for mystical potato head groove thing and nearly shitting myself. Then saw him do it live and actually shit myself.  

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Remember seeing the tab for mystical potato head groove thing and nearly shitting myself. Then saw him do it live and actually shit myself.  
    Mystical turtle-head poo thing?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    scrumhalf said:
    Mystical turtle-head poo thing?
    Amazing. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Love the title track. How to play perfect technical guitar but make it musical at the same time, a pretty rare thing it seems. I dug out Engines of Creation the other day, haven’t  played in years. It’s not a patch on FIABD but it is much better than I remembered. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    edited July 2019
    I saw him on the tour of this album at the Hummingbird in Bham.. (30/05/90). I'd never seen guitar playing like it.. The hand over hand section in Potato Head Groove Thing was a complete mind bender.. I think the title track is my favourite thing of his.

It's an unbelievable record.. this and P&W released within the same 12 months and they're still milestones. What a great time to be a guitar fan .
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    boogieman said:
    Love the title track. How to play perfect technical guitar but make it musical at the same time, a pretty rare thing it seems. I dug out Engines of Creation the other day, haven’t  played in years. It’s not a patch on FIABD but it is much better than I remembered. 
    Well, it depends on your outlook. For me EoC is his best album, he went off on a tangent and it worked superbly. Every other album he has ever produced (and I do like them) is basically the 'safe' Satriani template.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    Well, it depends on your outlook. For me EoC is his best album, he went off on a tangent and it worked superbly. Every other album he has ever produced (and I do like them) is basically the 'safe' Satriani template.
    Yeah of course it’s all personal opinion. I do like EoC and it has some great tracks but it sounds a bit like a film soundtrack in places. FIABD is a more rounded album to my ears.