Problem with Power Supply Brick

What's Hot
surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 132
Just been using my board and all of a sudden everything went dead and it looks like the power supply is the problem.  No pop or noise, everything just went dead.  Had it for years and its never failed and I'm assuming that it has just died and needs to be replaced.  However, I thought I would just ask if there is anything obvious I can try to be 100% sure its the power supply and not some other issue.

The power supply (10 x 9v) is plugged into a 6 gang with on/off switches on each socket.  Have tried plugging it into another socket but no joy.  The 6 gang is working fine, everything else plugged into it is working as it should.  There is an on/off switch on the brick and have obviously checked this.  Can't think of anything else I can do to identify the problem.  None of the pedals plugged into the power supply are working so.....?!  The brick is not fused so it's not a fuse that's gone.

Any ideas?

Can't remember what brand it is but this is it:

https://i.imgur.com/JLper5q.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    It will - or should! - be fused, internally. Does it look possible to take it apart, or is it a glued/heated-together casing?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 132
    Yes, it can be taken apart and have just done that, photo below.  Not impressive!!  And......no fuse sadly.  

I'm guessing this means it's only fit for the bin?  If this is the case, I suppose you wouldn't be able to recommend an OK but cheap'ish power supply that will work for 9 pedals?

https://i.imgur.com/0Tp8Dta.jpg
    Ah, I was expecting the actual power supply to be in there - I thought the cable looked a bit skinny, but I thought it must be just edge-on in the pic!

This is just a regulator and distribution box - the actual supply must be in a separate box, presumably there's one either halfway along the cable to the wall or a typical wall-wart plug box.

You first need to find whether the power is getting to this box. If it's not, either a fuse has gone in the power box or the cable is broken - which is possible, they very often break at the ends of the flexible moulded strain relief. It looks like the LED in the switch is probably driven directly from the incoming voltage, so if that doesn't light up then power isn't reaching the box, or the switch has failed. Have you tried shorting across the switch from the red wire to the white?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Right, it must be the wall-wart plug box as there is nothing between the wall plug and the distribution box.  No way to get into it, completely sealed unfortunately.

Given that the power supply broke down when in use and no movement to cable or board I suspect it is more likely to be a fuse than the cable but, as you say, it could be either.  

I haven't tried shorting across the switch as I have no idea how to do it! :)  But I would be very happy to give that a try if you could explain how I do it?  Many thanks.  When the power supply is plugged in the LED on the switch doesn't light up so that seems to confirm that power isn't getting to the switch or that the switch is dead. 

Thanks for the help @ICBM, really appreciate it.  Be great to know for sure if it was dead or fixable as I hate chucking anything away that could be repaired. 
    Plug into the wall, and just touch something metal to both the switch terminals - it’s totally safe, the voltage will be very low - and see if the light in the switch comes on. If it doesn’t, the fault will be in the wall box - you’re right that if it just stopped working it’s unlikely to be the cable, and even if it is you can’t replace it unless you can open up the wall box. But if it just stopped like that it’s also unlikely to be the switch as well.

Sounds like a write-off unfortunately.

ICBM said:
    Plug into the wall, and just touch something metal to both the switch terminals - it’s totally safe, the voltage will be very low - and see if the light in the switch comes on. If it doesn’t, the fault will be in the wall box - you’re right that if it just stopped working it’s unlikely to be the cable, and even if it is you can’t replace it unless you can open up the wall box. But if it just stopped like that it’s also unlikely to be the switch as well.

Sounds like a write-off unfortunately.
    Brilliant, thanks so much for that.  Have just tested the switch and dead as a dodo unfortunately.  It's great to know that its beyond repair and time to buy another one.  What I hate doing is buying a replacement for something without being 100% sure that it's a gonner.

In light of this, any suggestions as to an inexpensive replacement that, ideally, will power 9 pedals?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    9 makes it a bit tricky - most of the cheap supplies do about 7 or 8, plus a couple of ‘special’ outlets.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a *detachable* power supply - most do now - since you can then just replace that bit if it fails.

Best of all are the proper directly mains-powered ones, but they tend to be more expensive.

sweepy said:
    Thanks so much for that @sweepy, really appreciate the advice.  To be totally honest I use effects very little, other than a Boss RC-3, boost and reverb.  The rest just sit there most of the time!  My basic ignorance of pedals extends to power supplies too and the MXR unit that has just died has been my 2nd el cheapo power supply but they have both lasted a good many years.  However, I can see the sense in buying a decent power supply not only because it will probably be quieter but also because it will offer a greater level of protection for the pedals.  Unfortunately the price of the Palmer is prohibitive at the moment although it looks like a really superb bit of kit and also offers 3 extra power sockets over and above what I need.
    ICBM said:
    9 makes it a bit tricky - most of the cheap supplies do about 7 or 8, plus a couple of ‘special’ outlets.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a *detachable* power supply - most do now - since you can then just replace that bit if it fails.

Best of all are the proper directly mains-powered ones, but they tend to be more expensive.
    Thanks once again for that @ICBM, genuinely appreciate the advice.  I will definitely ensure that I buy one with a detachable power supply, that makes perfect sense, and I'll keep my eye open for mains powered units and see if there are any in my price range.  As @sweepy suggests, buying a decent quality unit is definitely the way to go.  Maybe sell a couple of little used pedals and buy one!!!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861
    Save for a zuma. Never look back. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    Just had a look at them and they do indeed look like the Rolls Royce of power supplies!  I really will seriously consider this but it's going to be a while until I can save up 250 notes!!  :)  Thanks for the nod @skunkwerx ;

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861
    surfguy13 said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Just had a look at them and they do indeed look like the Rolls Royce of power supplies!  I really will seriously consider this but it's going to be a while until I can save up 250 notes!!  :)  Thanks for the nod @skunkwerx ;

Aye sorry, I know you said you're not looking for expensive stuff! 

I did things kind of in reverse, bought the zuma to power a bunch of inexpensive effects. With an amp that cost £100 less than it new! 

but it for me anyway has lived up to the hype. 

£250 is a big expense, no doubt.
    Kinda funny when you think its that much for something thats not heard, probably not seen, and just quietly doing its thing... but then thats the most noticeable thing about it, the fact its not! Haha. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    The thing with a really good power supply is that you can keep it more or less forever so it’s not like a pedal - no matter how good - that you might replace when your taste or musical need changes.

Agree totally with both @skunkwerx and @ICBM. ; You get what you pay for and there is nothing worse than just shelling out for cheaper power supplies when you can buy something like the zuma and it's there for good.

I had a look around at reviews of cheaper power supplies and eventually decided to go with a Donner DP-1 as it had a pretty good write up considering the price, which was £26 with Amazon.  Got it running yesterday and it seems well made in an alloy casing with a detachable wall-wart plug as @ICBM suggested.  Also has bright LEDs for each port.  Quite decent quality leads too and also a couple of reverse polarity leads.  I was surprised how quiet it is, MUCH quieter than my last one, and used it for a couple of hours last night with no issues.  How long it will last is another thing but I am definitely going to get my hands on a decent alternative in the medium term.

Many thanks for all the really useful help/advice