Hows your typing speed?

What's Hot
KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
edited July 2019 in Off Topic

I've been going through the tutorials on this website and can't believe how difficult it is to type properly (using all fingers on both hands, and look at the screen instead of the keyboard). Spent my whole life using two fingers on each hand to type, whilst staring at the keys. Relearning and trying to do it properly is a real bitch.

Im on about 25 words per minute, which is absolutly tedious. With my normal method I'm about 50 words per minute.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    My typing speed is excellent.

My spelling speed is crap, however.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    132 words per minute apparently (I did the first test by clicking on the yellow box). But I think I kinda type too fast as I have to go back and correct mis-spelt words due to incorrect key strokes.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14190
    tFB Trader
    My dad was taught to touch type - So can use all fingers on both hands - Can type without looking at the keyboard

I keep a finger on my left hand ready to cover the A and S, as they are in many words - Both my right hand is one finger only and ducks n dives as required - So in short nothing special 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2019
    Earlier this year I was really cheesed off with my typing.
    I'd been stuck at 30wpm forever.  Like forever and it never improved.  It was a universal constant -- like the speed of light (but slower), or the 4 minute mile before it was broken.  Nothing seemed to get it better but then I committed to doing some daily practice and my first goal was 40wpm.  Now I'm heading for 60wpm.  I'll probably stop there.

On that test it says I'm 45 wpm at 97% accuracy. 
    On this test, and I much prefer this one, I'm ~55 wpm at the moment, again with accuracy >96%.

I'm above 30 wpm and actually I'm pretty chuffed with with my 55wpm.  In the grand scheme of things it's nothing but to me, yeah, daily practice works.  How long?  3-4 minutes a day minimum (one or two old records on a YouTube playlist).  Tbh I usually listen to 4 or 5.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    75wpm, I type with all fingers and without looking at the keyboard but not proper touch typing...I also commonly transpose adjacent letter in certain words..like "copmuter" 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    132 words per minute apparently (I did the first test by clicking on the yellow box). But I think I kinda type too fast as I have to go back and correct mis-spelt words due to incorrect key strokes.
    That's the easy test with no punctuation, numbers or capitals. I scored 87 on that one. I just edited my original post with the bigger test. Try that one.

Yeah, I do that too, type fast whilst looking at the keys, and then go back and edit everything I typed wrong. I just decided it's time to sort it aht.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    In 1972 when I entered the sixth form at school, the head introduced us to a lady who was going to do typing lessons for anyone interested.  What did I say......"I'll have a secretary if I need some typing done".....WRONG !!!
    We were still using log tables and a slide rule at the time, just to put it into context.
    I've not measured my typing speed, let's just say "pedestrian at best".
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Keiko said:
    That's the easy test with no punctuation, numbers or capitals. I scored 87 on that one. I just edited my original post with the bigger test. Try that one.

Yeah, I do that too, type fast whilst looking at the keys, and then go back and edit everything I typed wrong. I just decided it's time to sort it aht.
    84 on that one, but had to go back and correct a lot of spelling mistakes due to my "type-too-fast" syndrome. Also I got a new keyboard and its slightly wider and different layout to what I used before so I will press incorrect keys.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I've found as I've got older that my hand/finger speed has changed, and I'm transposing letters because one hand is no longer as fast as the other.

Also I got a new keyboard and its slightly wider and different layout to what I used before so I will press incorrect keys.
    An unfamiliar keyboard can wreak havoc with my typing.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    I realised in the late 80s that it would be a very good thing to learn and got Typing Grade 1 after going to classes.
    I'm not great and I look at the keyboard, but it helped me get a good job on 2 occasions.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    I touch type around 50 won with few errors, but that’s usually faster thank I can think of what I’m writing so plenty fast enough. 

I assume faster speeds are only really useful for secretarial work; retyping handwritten things etc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    Mt typinf sperd id reslly gret  =)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    91.2wpm, 99% accuracy on that test. I never explicitly learned to touch-type, so there are probably bits of my technique that are "wrong". Having effectively learned typing "on the job" as a programmer, though, my typing style is geared to odd character combinations rather than words and sentences, so it's not entirely surprising that I'm not exactly the quickest around.

I have to touch-type, though, because I'm using an Apple keyboard on Linux but with a standard British layout, so a lot of the labels on the keys don't actually match the characters that appear when you push them.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    I can touch type with all digits on my right hand. Unfortunately the left I can only use 1 or 2 so that slows me down.

Shared a computer with a woman in training a few months ago and she was in charge of typing. She fixed her left hand in place ready to use the shift key, and had just her right index finger pointing out for typing across the entire keyboard.
    That was a tiresome 5 days.
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Learnt to touch type during an apprenticeship back in the seventies. Still do it to this day but not at the speed that I could once manage. Same with guitar and bass playing really  :/
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I use voice input, f*** the typing  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    91.2wpm, 99% accuracy on that test. I never explicitly learned to touch-type, so there are probably bits of my technique that are "wrong". Having effectively learned typing "on the job" as a programmer, though, my typing style is geared to odd character combinations rather than words and sentences, so it's not entirely surprising that I'm not exactly the quickest around.

I have to touch-type, though, because I'm using an Apple keyboard on Linux but with a standard British layout, so a lot of the labels on the keys don't actually match the characters that appear when you push them.
    CRYRDD EQ 2019 AND DEMCEE EQ ' '

I'm really quick at that stuff
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    On the OP test 62wpm/98% but it's a frigging pain in the arse with the restricted edit Window - I normally type until I reach a natural break, then use keyboard shortcuts to navigate back to errors and correct them. On that, all of the quick navigation keys are disabled, as is one of the delete keys, so you have to stop and deal with it immediately, which is very off-putting.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I got 77.2 wpm @ 96.8% accuracy on my laptop on a wobbly table in the cafe.  They taught typing at our school in the 90s, I think everyone should learn it.  I type on this at home, which was fine until I decided to start editing music on it

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    That was interesting.  Got 64.8 WPM and 97.8% accuracy.

Which is staggering seeing some of the crap I type, clearly I'm better at copying than thinking.