New watch day

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited July 2019
    Actually, seeing as the watch nerds are liable to be in the house- any recommendations for (automatic) aviation style watches of similar quality/value/price to the SKX range?

As appealing as the SKX013 and SKX007 are I've always been more drawn to aviator style watches y'see... 
    In my collection I've a got a NOS German Laco aviator in the box complete with spare strap.

They are great value for money and a proper aviation watch company with a history rather than some of the wannabee's around. 

Laco-Aachen-Type-B-Dial-Miyota-Automatic-Pilot-Watch-Sapphire-Crystal-861690
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    That Laco is nice. Will check them out.

My main problem seems to be that my wrists are relatively small (42mm is really pushing it) and I also seem to have expensive taste---every time I see "the one" its guaranteed to cost £4k :-D
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    ^ 42mm is my max diameter too. Not a fan of frying pan flyers, I tend to prefer divers & military styles & chrono's.
    These are as close as I get to Aviations, a Pulsar quartz (shock, horror) and an old Ollech & Wajs hand winding Selectron (although not marked as such).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ 42mm is my max diameter too. Not a fan of frying pan flyers, I tend to prefer divers & military styles & chrono's.
    These are as close as I get to Aviations, a Pulsar quartz (shock, horror) and an old Ollech & Wajs hand winding Selectron (although not marked as such).

That O& W is nice. 

I'm more of a dive and chronograph collector too. 

A made a crappy site a while back about my Omega Speedmaster collection...

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052
    Neil said:

That O& W is nice. 

Nice Omega collection and I'm very impressed that you knew the legendary Chuck Maddox.
    Do you by any chance have any association with Chronomaster Watches??
    Neil said:

That O& W is nice. 

Nice Omega collection and I'm very impressed that you knew the legendary Chuck Maddox.
    Do you by any chance have any association with Chronomaster Watches??
    No, that's a different Neil. 
    ^ That's a relief, I'd be embarrassed talking about my random group of rag tag watches with a professional seller  :3 ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ That's a relief, I'd be embarrassed talking about my random group of rag tag watches with a professional seller  :3 ;)

Professional sellers sometimes know less than us talented amateurs.  ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    This thing is scarily accurate. I set the time to my phone a week ago and now it’s less than half a minute off. I’ve adjusted it now because by chance the second hand was within a second or two of the seconds on my phone - we’ll see where it is in a week.
    This thing is scarily accurate. I set the time to my phone a week ago and now it’s less than half a minute off. I’ve adjusted it now because by chance the second hand was within a second or two of the seconds on my phone - we’ll see where it is in a week.
    Wow! That is very unusual for a 7S26 movement!

The normal accepted maximum variation is +/- 30 seconds per day.

Are Seiko using the 6R15 in their 007's nowadays?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I think I'm just lucky. My Sea Urchin was on about +3-4 seconds a day for the first six months, then settled down to about -15-20 seconds.
    Out of curiosity I synched my Orange Monster 7s26 on the 20th.
    It wasn't possible to get an exact time synch as it's not hackable as you know, but I noted it was +20 seconds ahead of real time (computer).
    6 days later, it is within 5 seconds ± 2, so has lost 15 seconds or so in that period.
    It used to be much more accurate until I dropped it about 6 months ago, now it runs slightly slow & it has never been serviced, only worn.
    It appears that Seiko were typically modest about the performance of the movement 
    Out of curiosity I synched my Orange Monster 7s26 on the 20th.
    It wasn't possible to get an exact time synch as it's not hackable as you know, but I noted it was +20 seconds ahead of real time (computer).
    6 days later, it is within 5 seconds ± 2, so has lost 15 seconds or so in that period.
    It used to be much more accurate until I dropped it about 6 months ago, now it runs slightly slow & it has never been serviced, only worn.
    It appears that Seiko were typically modest about the performance of the movement 
    They are a cheap movement and all vary so much which is why they give that broad spectrum of accuracy.

One 7s26 of mine I've has a while gains a minute or two over a week.

It's due a service and I enquired with a very good chap I know. Unfortunately the cost is almost that of a new watch so I'd rather buy a new one.. 

Whereas you think nothing of spending £150 servicing an old Omega it's a different value proposition on a cheaper Seiko. 
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I think a 007 is next on my list as I seem to have developed a liking for Seiko and now have 4 of them, all Japanese:

With this modified Sea Urchin being the latest addition: