DIY - drilling and fixing into block work/brick work

What's Hot

Comments

• Thanks everyone! For confirmation

1. Definitely a stud wall. I can pick up yellow/red on stud detector (which means metal, which means nails - tapping the wall confirms) 

2. Had a lot of wine. Naked wines is decent. Recommended. 

3. Will check out cordless - girlfriend gave permission to save longer and get one. Winner winner! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    These are really good, 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Combi-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00L3XK06C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1M7EBOLFO4ZTP&keywords=bosch+cordless+drill&qid=1563122247&s=gateway&sprefix=Bosch+cordle%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-5

And Amazon frequently offer them at £49.99 which makes them a steal.  I have 2 sets and just fitted a load of kitchen cupboards using  them.  

Good grief, if I found that for 50 I'd eat it. Okay, I'll see if an offer comes up soon. Perhaps I can get the shelves (lady pretty damned requests, "rustic style floating". Bet that ain't cheap...) 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Thanks everyone! For confirmation

1. Definitely a stud wall. I can pick up yellow/red on stud detector (which means metal, which means nails - tapping the wall confirms) 

3. Will check out cordless - girlfriend gave permission to save longer and get one. Winner winner! 
    Maybe not nails.....lots of partitions are done using metal uprights now,

Did you find the depth from the plasterboard to the wall?

Studs may just be Top Hat metals about 25mm deep,...or full studs, maybe 50-75mm deep.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    TTony said:
    These are really good, 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Combi-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00L3XK06C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1M7EBOLFO4ZTP&keywords=bosch+cordless+drill&qid=1563122247&s=gateway&sprefix=Bosch+cordle%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-5

And Amazon frequently offer them at £49.99 which makes them a steal.  I have 2 sets and just fitted a load of kitchen cupboards using  them.  

Good grief, if I found that for 50 I'd eat it. Okay, I'll see if an offer comes up soon. Perhaps I can get the shelves (lady pretty damned requests, "rustic style floating". Bet that ain't cheap...) 
    Look out on Amazon Prime day *tomorrow* - or set up an alert on camelcamelcamel.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • spark240 said:
    Thanks everyone! For confirmation

Maybe not nails.....lots of partitions are done using metal uprights now,

Did you find the depth from the plasterboard to the wall?

Studs may just be Top Hat metals about 25mm deep,...or full studs, maybe 50-75mm deep.

I don't know anything you just said. But I intend to drill a pilot hole, bit by bit, to see plasterboard depth. I anticipate it to be a standard 12mm, and it is timber framed. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2019
    Just one quick mention floating shelves holding a lot of weight is a bad idea, due to their design they will take less weight than normal shelves
  • underdog said:
    Just one quick mention floating shelves holding a lot of weight is a bad idea, due to their design they will take less weight than normal shelves

Hmm okay, perhaps we should look at regular shelves with brackets. I'll see what I can find :) 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    TTony said:
    These are really good, 

These are £50 on Prime day now.

LuttiS said:

Good grief, if I found that for 50 I'd eat it.  
    These are £50 on Prime day now.

That’s his lunch sorted for today then
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:

I checked and, when mounted into masonry, these ones are rated to 35kg Inc shelf weight - we won't get near that I don't think, more likely 20 ish. 
  • TTony said:
    TTony said:
    These are really good, 

Look out on Amazon Prime day *tomorrow* - or set up an alert on camelcamelcamel.

@ttony got it! 50 quid, plus a 70 piece titanium bit set for 15 quid, also bosch. Thanks for the heads up! 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6902
    Good deals. You may as well get the electric screwdriver for £20 and finish the set off. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    C'mon people. A £50 battery drill is like a £100 Squier, when any self respecting bloke wants a custom shop Dewalt DCD996. Worth every penny will drill 28mm holes in brick no problem. 

And no, Screwfix are not cheap. Find the model you want then get online or wait for an eBay 20% off. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18727
    hywelg said:
    C'mon people. A £50 battery drill is like a £100 Squier, when any self respecting bloke wants a custom shop Dewalt DCD996. Worth every penny will drill 28mm holes in brick no problem. 

And no, Screwfix are not cheap. Find the model you want then get online or wait for an eBay 20% off. 
    YMMV  ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Good deals. You may as well get the electric screwdriver for £20 and finish the set off. 

I already have an electric screwdriver :) it's cheap and nasty black and decker, but works well enough for flat pack stuff. 

hywelg said:

Ooo, that's the dream. Nice, big, clean holes is hard, dense material. 

Anyone remember that music video? Push me, and then just touch me until I get my satisfaction. 
    'Ooo, that's the dream. Nice, big, clean holes is hard, dense material. '
    Easy tiger, you haven't got your shelves up yet 
    :3

If you do ever find a need to make nice, big or small, clean holes in hard, dense material, then do yourself a favour & get an SDS+ rotary hammer drill.
    My house is 17th century, stone walls as thick as your new ones and lots of super hard 'river stones'.
    I burnt out loads of good drill bits (even with a Bosch corded hammer drill).
    So, I got a 'cheap' Titan SDS+ drill & bits and this thing is a world away from a traditional drill.
    A slight leaning in pressure is all that is needed, the drill does the work & to coin a phrase, it's like a knife through butter.
    Yes it's big, corded, heavy etc. but it does the job as a good tool should..
    They can be picked up for £50 or thereabouts.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    If the OP needs to drill largish holes in masonry, hire a drill and bits for the job.  Waste of money buying a tool that will be unused when the work is completed.  Get a decent cordless drill/screwdriver like a DeWalt plus a small set of drill bits for the smaller ongoing tasks like hanging pictures etc.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    If the OP needs to drill largish holes in masonry, hire a drill and bits for the job.  Waste of money buying a tool that will be unused when the work is completed.  Get a decent cordless drill/screwdriver like a DeWalt plus a small set of drill bits for the smaller ongoing tasks like hanging pictures etc.
    The OP has bought a Bosch cordless Li-on drill driver that @TTony ; suggested (see top of the page).
    As for hiring an SDS, it's definitely an option.
    Although at £20-30 per day, set against the £50 I paid for a drill plus bits that I have used several times (along with my neighbours, which also generated free wine & goodwill)... I know which I'd do  ;) :)

I’ve got 2 of those cordless Bosch units, 1 for drilling and 1 for screwdrivering - because it’s efficient that way.

They were all I needed to put together 15-20 kitchen & utility cupboards, into solid walls.  Obvs you need decent drill *bits* too, but those drills should be up to the job that tPD described.

I’ve also got a f ck off (corded) SDS drill (cheapo, £50ish from Screwfix) for when I need to drill into heavyweight concrete.  Completely unnecessary for putting up kitchen cupboard/shelves - and would actually be way too heavy & awkward to use for that job.  But for very occasional use, buying a cheapo makes more sense than hiring.

Right tool for the job.  Makes the job a lot easier.  
  • For the record, I'm definitely not doing anything too heavy duty - just need to get through plasterboard, insulation and either the studs or (as recommended by the builder) the blockwork behind.

I'm probably going to drill a small test hole somewhere safe and see exactly what's going on behind the plasterboard...