Jet City 20H

What's Hot
Just snagged one of these for a silly price. I’m thinking of getting a tech to do some mods. Anyone have any good mod recommendations in order to get the most out of it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Firstly, what do you think it's lacking that needs changing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955

Anyone have any good mod recommendations in order to get the most out of it?
    Just find the right speaker cab for the sound you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Put a bright cap on the gain control so you get nice sparkly cleans. Full gain is unaffected, but at halfway it's a proper, almost Voxy jangle instead of mud. 

I think I used the standard vintage Fender value of 47pf, but you can experiment. 

I also put a Metro fx loop in mine, it was a doddle to fit. 
  • I’m waiting for it to arrive so I have no idea what it’s lacking however I like the fact that it’s open to easy mods and playing around with.

@p90fool thanks for that, I understand that the loop was changed for later versions so I’ll prob get that done. The cap sounds worth doing too!

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    Dan Gower has modded these in the past, vids on YT.

Hot rodded marshall type thing.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I find my 20HV sounds a little too "fat", or "full" for my taste (sorry for useless description).  I'm currently trying out swapping the 47k slope resistor for a pot to vary this value.

Adjusting downwards to 33k (Marshall value) does trim some of this "fullness" out of the sound.  More experimenting needed but so far I think 35k sounds great.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    I really am baffled as to why there is a need to think about modding gear before it’s even been tried.

I don’t understand buying new guitars an immediately changing pickups either.  Very popular on TGP it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    SimonC said:
    I really am baffled as to why there is a need to think about modding gear before it’s even been tried.

I don’t understand buying new guitars an immediately changing pickups either.  Very popular on TGP it seems.
    I quite agree. I always spend an absolute minimum of 2 minutes before I decide on completely modifying the item so it becomes something totally different to what I bought.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.epic-tone.com/online-store/Jet-City-20H-HV-Mods-p87313323

Im think of giving the Brown Iris mod a go from these guys, they appear to be the approved dealer for Jet City mods
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    SimonC said:

Who invited the fun police? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    SimonC said:

I kind of agree, but the 20h doesn't have an FX loop and sounds different to the models which have, so if you have the skills to fit one, why not? 

It's also a bit drab sounding with the gain lowered, but that's fixed by a 20p capacitor in ten minutes. 

It is after all, a very cheap, good-sounding amp - you could easily spend and extra grand to get something similar with every feature you want.

Guitars are even more obvious candidates for me, what if you like everything about a guitar except the pickups? 

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    I find my 20HV sounds a little too "fat", or "full" for my taste (sorry for useless description).  I'm currently trying out swapping the 47k slope resistor for a pot to vary this value.

Adjusting downwards to 33k (Marshall value) does trim some of this "fullness" out of the sound.  More experimenting needed but so far I think 35k sounds great.
    Lowering the slope resistor adds bass and low mids, so would make the tone "fatter" or thicker
    clarkefan said:

Lowering the slope resistor adds bass and low mids, so would make the tone "fatter" or thicker
    Genuinely not my experience, though I admit I have cloth ears. I'm away for a few days so will test again when I get back.
  • I’ve got some mods on the way from Epic Tone, the Brown Iris, capacitor upgrade, saturation and depth mods. Really interested to compare the before and after. 

nice little project to get stuck into
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    clarkefan said:
    clarkefan said:

Genuinely not my experience, though I admit I have cloth ears. I'm away for a few days so will test again when I get back.
    Just getting back to this, I've had more time with this now and have to stand by my earlier comments.

Modulus _ Amps was correct when he said this would add bass, it did.  Not dramatically but it's there.

But it's like the amp itself is not as "full", or as "fat" as it was at 47k, if that makes any sense, I'm rubbish at describing sound.  May be a mids thing?

But I like the difference.  It's also not dramatic but then this is what I can get away with at home volumewise, I'm not talking about gig volume.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    The single best mod you can do is putting a good effects loop in there. If you get in touch with them (the US company, that is), they'll sell you a loop module which comes with instructions for fitting it after the master volume (which is exactly where it should be).
    <space for hire>
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Have your epic mods arrived?  They look interesting. 

How much was the shipping and import duty? 
  • Yes they have arrived. The parts were shipped from Germany and delivery was included in the price, the instructions were then emailed to me.

im waiting for a amp tech to fit it all although he’s currently on holiday. I’m rubbish with electrics so didn’t want to touch it myself
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Yes they have arrived. The parts were shipped from Germany and delivery was included in the price, the instructions were then emailed to me.

im waiting for a amp tech to fit it all although he’s currently on holiday. I’m rubbish with electrics so didn’t want to touch it myself
    Who do you use? Is it Henk perchance over in Horsham? I've realised we're neighbours - I'm in Haywards Heath too!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)