Fake Elixir strings - I wonder how many Elixir reviews have been based on these?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
Anyone else bought any?
I got some from ebay
Only £2 cheaper than the normal price, so no reason to expect them to be cheap fakes
I got the magnifying glass out, and no coating was visible

I wonder how many who think they've tried Elixirs and don't like them have tried fakes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Anyone else bought any?
    I got some from ebay
    Only £2 cheaper than the normal price, so no reason to expect them to be cheap fakes

I wonder how many who think they've tried Elixirs and don't like them have tried fakes?
    If there is no coating they will probably sound better.

With strings I only buy from a major seller, who I know will have genuine stock.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    crunchman said:

lol or wis... ?

:)

I hate the slippery feel too, so I'm sure I'd notice - in fact I do when I play a guitar without realising it has them on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited July 2019
    crunchman said:
    Anyone else bought any?
    I got some from ebay

With strings I only buy from a major seller, who I know will have genuine stock.
    yeah, I'm sure the counterfeiters use the best materials and machinery
    (For the packaging)

I've still got them here, unused, I can sell them to you for £7 incl postage, lol
    edited July 2019
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

lol or wis... ?

I hate the slippery feel too, so I'm sure I'd notice - in fact I do when I play a guitar without realising it has them on.
    personal preference, I thought it worth publicising
    as expected, when I asked for a return, he instantly refunded me and didn't ask for them back
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    I wonder how many have bought them and then told everyone how much better they sound and feel than the EB’s they used to have fitted.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    That's what happens when you buy cheaply, you get free strings.
    edited July 2019
    Sassafras said:
    yeah, do you want them, I don't
    same thing happened a few years ago when I bought a Canon camera battery with a 15% or 20% discount. Happily on that occasion, the counterfeiters couldn't spell properly.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    Strings are so fundamental on a guitar that the very idea of buying them cheap makes me smile.  Support your local shop - at least the strings will be genuine even if a little bit more costly than from some eBay supplier or AliExpress.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Sassafras said:
    yeah, do you want them, I don't
    same thing happened a few years ago when I bought a Canon camera battery with a 15% or 20% discount. Happily on that occasion, the counterfeiters couldn't spell properly.
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I can no longer play guitar so they'd be wasted on me even if they are counterfeits.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Strings are so fundamental on a guitar that the very idea of buying them cheap makes me smile.  Support your local shop - at least the strings will be genuine even if a little bit more costly than from some eBay supplier or AliExpress.
    I had a £5 off voucher sent to me from ebay, would not normally dream of buying strings from ebay

Having said that, I don't think I have a local shop anymore. Probably 40 mins to get to the nearest shop now
    I certainly think it would be weird to simply pay more than a small amount extra for strings to help keep a business open that doesn't stock any guitars that I want to buy anyway. I have bought guitars and accessories from local stores when available and paid extra, but not large amounts extra. I've asked them to buy in guitars for me and paid over the mail order prices. Both stores closed down anyway.