NGD - Avalon Pioneer 12 string

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
I got this direct from the Avalon factory last week after a couple of months wait

I thought I should post my impressions of it is; as,in the absence of an extensive dealer network, internet forum comment is probably important to them.

Tuning - This was my biggest worry about buying a 12 string unseen - that because of the extra tension on the neck I would have to be constantly tuning it. In fact the Avalon can withstand an hours practice and still be in tune. After a couple of hours it's only slightly out - really only noticeable to my tuner.

Sound - When played hard it's got a bright, piercing piano like tone, with an amazing amount of projection. But it seems to take on a more intimate character when played softer.

Playability - This really surprised me. I had once tried a Taylor 12 string in a shop and this Avalon actually seems to have a lighter easier action than the Taylor, I would not have thought it possible that a small Northern Irish workshop could rival Taylor for playability but it seem to have happened. However the neck on the Avalon maybe chunkier than on a Taylor.

Looks - This was not a prime consideration. But it looks gorgeous, the wood looks higher grade than used on similar priced Martins and the Sycamore binding gives it a classy touch.

Here are some photos of it in the factory of it in construction and then completion
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Congratulations. Sounds great. Can’t see the photos?
    whats the nut width and fretboard radius?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Sorry I can't seem to work out how to attach the photos - which is a pity as they are quite an interesting photo journey of a guitar's construction. Will try again tommorrow evening.

Re nut and fretboard radius - I am not sure. It's certainly got a wider string spacing than my Guild D20.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    IMHO You've got the perspective wrong - how can a large factory in the USA hope to match the quality of hand-made instruments from a small workshop that made all the Lowden guitars for 15 years

I bought a new Taylor when I started getting expensive acoustics, soon after being very nhappy with it I had to sell it at a loss, frankly they are very poor compared to any Avalon
    I think you have to link to the photos, you need to host them somewhere yourself, plenty of free places available
    Thanks! here is the link to some photos of it being constructed-https://imgur.com/a/fuAvCOR

I think you are probably right about the Taylor comparison - I was just making the point that Taylor 12 strings are supposed to be renowned for their ease of play and they must invest millions of dollars in this one design aspect alone, so leaving aside the other areas that Avalon may be superior in, it also seems to have beaten or matched Taylor at their own specialty.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    It looks great Ted. Avalon have been a recent revelation for me and I'm awaiting delivery in a couple of weeks of a redwood / bog oak lefty Ard-Ri model (S-body). I've had several Taylors, a couple of Martins and even a Lowden F23C and my current Avalon L2-20 wins  on comparison with any of them.  Avalon are a great company to deal with, too.
    Yes I am very happy with it and getting happier. I suspect the disadvantage that Avalon has compared with the other brands you mention is that is does not have a wide dealership. However good a guitar is, things like tone are personal and perhaps need to be investigated before buying. For instance I don't personally care for the Gibson sound, but I would not have determined this without trying one.
    I am not sure how you get round the need to have dealers to demo the instrument.
    Ted said:
    Yes I am very happy with it and getting happier. I suspect the disadvantage that Avalon has compared with the other brands you mention is that is does not have a wide dealership. However good a guitar is, things like tone are personal and perhaps need to be investigated before buying. For instance I don't personally care for the Gibson sound, but I would not have determined this without trying one.
    I am not sure how you get round the need to have dealers to demo the instrument.
    They came to some guitar shows a few years ago, but that is quite an overhead

Ted said:
    They came to some guitar shows a few years ago, but that is quite an overhead

Avalon are now advocating custom builds rather than off-the-peg model
    you can visit the workshops for a day, try the demo guitars, and they will assist with your travel costs if you order one