Anybody do Atomic CLR repairs in UK?

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
It looks like my Atomic CLR has broken, it lost volume during a jam today and now no sound output. Lights come on, but no volume. Its about 4 years old so out of warranty. Is this the sort of thing an amp tech can fix? If so are there any good amp techs in Northampton/Warwick area? Cheers.
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Any thoughts on this? Will see if I can get the amp module out and look for any obvious issues.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I can almost guarantee it will have a switch mode power supply and a class D power amp, most of the modern active monitors that I come across have. I don't think many amp techs will touch it, unless they are geared up for fault finding this type of kit. I suspect schematics for it aren't available either. Definitely worth you having a quick check round, though I suspect one or more of the switching MOSFETs has died or the controller chip.   
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I usually swerve this sort of kit.

I would contact the manufacturer to see if there is a UK service centre.
    Ok, thanks for the advice.Will contact Atomic support in the USA.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Quick update for those interested - there’s no UK/Europe repair facility, so had to ship back to the USA (Took 10 days and £30). Repair will take 2-4 weeks! Will update this post when repaired.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Has been repaired by Atomic, took 4 weeks - needed new power module. Cost about £200 including postage to USA and back.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    mrkb said:
    Has been repaired by Atomic, took 4 weeks - needed new power module. Cost about £200 including postage to USA and back.
    To be honest that's a fairly typical outcome with Class D amps; even manufacturers won't trouble shoot them to the component level. 

I expect the manufacturer did not develop the power module but are using an off-the-shelf module from a 3rd party.
    jpfamps said:
    mrkb said:
    To be honest that's a fairly typical outcome with Class D amps; even manufacturers won't trouble shoot them to the component level. 

I expect the manufacturer did not develop the power module but are using an off-the-shelf module from a 3rd party.

Yes it uses a Hypex SMPS400 power module - I did think about buying one in the Uk and fitting it myself, but wasn't confident I could test it properly without damaging anything else in the amp module. Power amp module would have cost £100, so Atomic charged a fair price for repair costs - I think they have replaced another circuitboard as well.

Anyway - Im glad is working again, but hope its stays reliable for many years!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1