Thickest sounding 12" speaker at low volume?

What's Hot
algroves1algroves1 Frets: 17
I've got custom Tweed based 1x12 combo that I'm searching for the right speaker for.  The amp is based on a single ended tweed champ with a 6SN7 in the preamp.  I use it at home with a combination of power scaling and a Swart night light jr.  It sounds fantastic but I'm looking for the perfect speaker to finish it off.

I've tried a Greenback in it that was too stiff and barks and makes everything sound too much like a Marshall.  Right now I've got an Eminence Jet City branded speaker that is better - less brittle, softer attack and less efficient so I don't need to attenuate as much at home.  However It's not a very complex sounding speaker and lacks some lower mids and thickness.

Due to the layout of the chassis in the cab I can't fit an alnico speaker in there sadly.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Al
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    See if you can find an old Goodmans Audiom 12P - very thick and smooth sounding, and with a flat magnet about the same depth as an H Celestion. Their power rating is very optimistic so you normally need to be careful with them, but that won’t matter with a Champ.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Cannabis Rex ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Cannabis Rex ?
    +1

So long as you don’t need lots of top end sparkle then I think this is a great speaker.
  • algroves1algroves1 Frets: 17
    Thanks all.  Listening to clips on the Eminience site, the Texas Heat also sounds really good.  Has anybody used one of those?
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Wgs reaper?
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    Dominic said:
    Cannabis Rex ?
    +1

So long as you don’t need lots of top end sparkle then I think this is a great speaker.
    +1

the C-Rex is actually pretty even sounding once it is well and truly broken in. Still takes some of the presence of a really bright amp though. Definitely dark out of the box! Took at least 6 months if not a year of gigging and practices to get mine as sweet as it is now...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    What sort of volume are you actually playing at, below the level of an acoustic guitar?

Big speakers just sound rubbish if you are just tickling them