Acoustic Saddle Shim - What Material?

What's Hot
As per title, what should I shim my acoustic saddle with, any tips/do's & don'ts etc.

It's a custom made saddle with an overhang to intonate for lower tunings, so isn't as cheaply replaced as a regular saddle so I'd prefer to just shim it if that'll sound ok.  

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I have shimmed saddles before with slivers of bone, ebony and rosewood depending on bridge material and have not noticed and change in tone, there may well have been a change but I couldn’t detect it. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Andy79 said:
    I have shimmed saddles before with slivers of bone, ebony and rosewood depending on bridge material and have not noticed and change in tone, there may well have been a change but I couldn’t detect it. 
    Where do you get slivers of those following materials from? 
    This guy is famous in shim land 
    http://www.guitarsaddles.com/SaddleShim.asp

Otherwise just get some veneer off cuts from eBay, use a blade and a steel ruler to trim them
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Andy79 said:

Otherwise just get some veneer off cuts from eBay, use a blade and a steel ruler to trim them
    Ah the Elephant Ivory guy!  

I think I'll give him a miss... 

Thanks for the info though. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4152
    Andy79 said:

Ah the Elephant Ivory guy!  

I think I'll give him a miss... 

Thanks for the info though. 
    Wow....I've had a couple of bone saddles from him in the past but he didn't used to sell ivory (apart from fossilized walrus...) otherwise I'd never have bought from him. Certainly won't again.

On the OP - I've used rosewood to good effect (I actually had a little block very kindly sent to me by @octatonic after asking a similar question on here....I used all of it otherwise I'd pay it forward to you). This may not be the best way to do it but my approach was to get the shim roughly the right size and then glue it to the bottom of the saddle, and then do the final trimming and sanding with it on there.

I didn’t know he was selling ivory.....
    i have some ebony you can have if you want. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11873
    As per title, what should I shim my acoustic saddle with, any tips/do's & don'ts etc.

It's a custom made saddle with an overhang to intonate for lower tunings, so isn't as cheaply replaced as a regular saddle so I'd prefer to just shim it if that'll sound ok.  

Thanks
    ask the guitar maker first
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Thanks guys
  • As per title, what should I shim my acoustic saddle with, any tips/do's & don'ts etc.

Thanks

I have had same problem with my Martin guitar you can take help of Michael Stone he is guitar expert and deals with high quality bone saddle, I think he is top rated bone saddle guy in Amazon.. You can contact him at Macnichol.com

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Lowden used to shim all their guitars with rosewood ( same thickness as an under saddle pick ) to make installation of electrics easy without adjusting the saddle. Always worked well and sounded great.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4757
    artiebear said:
    Lowden used to shim all their guitars with rosewood ( same thickness as an under saddle pick ) to make installation of electrics easy without adjusting the saddle. Always worked well and sounded great.
    One of my acoustics had too much taken off the saddle by a luthier in the process of setting it up, and now has a rosewood shim just dropped (not glued) in the saddle slot. I can't hear any difference. I just need to remember it's there if I take the saddle out...  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    I hope @camf doesn't mind me cutting and pasting the reply I just posted to his question as part of this... :)

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference, to be honest! As long as the material is hard enough that it won't actually absorb vibration - and it would need to be as soft as some sort of rubber for that really - then I can't see any reason it should affect the tone. Piezo undersaddle strips don't seem to.

I do think the hardness of the material makes a difference when it's the actual saddle itself, because the strings are pressing directly onto it and that will affect the energy that's passed from the strings down into the bridge, or reflected back into the string vibration - but at the bottom of the saddle, the whole lot is just moving up and down together.

I've used wood, bone, card, plastic and even metal - in fact, I've seen cut-off pieces of wound strings used - and never heard any difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yep, I just put a slice of an old plastic bank card on top of an LR Baggs Anthem Element, stuck the saddle on top and, to me at least, it sounds just like it did before. And it turned out to be exactly the right height too. :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I didn’t end up making it myself in the end, not actually sure what’s in there! I ended up getting a pickup installed in the instrument and it got shimmed at the same time 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Pretty sure my Brook came with some rosewood shims. I used one in my Epi jumbo acoustic, worked great!