Les Paul Or SG?

What's Hot
I wanted to get a few opinions on whether to look at an LP or an SG. I've been playing LP style guitars for years but after my last band practice i really felt I could do with something with better fret access. Im hoping to pull the trigger on something soon but Im not sure which one. 

Anyone out there who has gigged an LP and an SG who can offer some advice? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    SGs FTW! Great upper fret access, much lighter, more comfortable, more versatile sounding. 

But do play one both sitting and standing if you haven't already - they're geometrically quite different so many LP players struggle to adjust
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    As @stickyfiddle says, try an SG sitting and especially standing. I love both, but always find SGs require way more adjustment than Flying Vs, Explorers or even Firebirds. 

You may love it and never go back, but check you absolutely hate it before you spend money. 
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    SGs are probably better for a gigging guitarist due to the weight and fret access. It won’t sound the same as a les Paul though. You’ll notice the sound difference too, but the audience won’t. The only disadvantage is potential neck dive.
  • Calum13 said:
    SGs are probably better for a gigging guitarist due to the weight and fret access. It won’t sound the same as a les Paul though. You’ll notice the sound difference too, but the audience won’t. The only disadvantage is potential neck dive.
    What would you say are the main sound differences?
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I’ve gigged both and enjoyed them both enormously. For more lead stuff an sg is superb as the shifted neck placement puts the 12th at a far more comfortable position. 

Obviously the upper access is great. 

Down sides i found were that they can be much easier to go out of tune while playing due to neck movement. 

Nice and light though so you hardly notice them, although neck dive can be an issue. 
    Calum13 said:
    What would you say are the main sound differences?
    SGs are a bit "snappier" and more wirey, a bit less mid-heavy (which can be construed as "muddy" or "wooly" for a Les Paul into the wrong amp). 

This video has all is my go-to SG tones; it's a brilliant showcase for the best of SG sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwNM62TZ78I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 325
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I'm considering buying an SG so this weekend I was looking into it and found this vidoe above, and said I want that!

I had an SG when I was 14 but sold it pretty quickly, now I have Les Pauls, and love the sound but find them heavy/ So now I'm considering an SG but know I will not like it if I try to compare it to a Les Paul. If I do get one, I'm modding it to be exactly like the one in the video. BK riff raffs and a Lyre tremolo! It does sound great
  • Hydra19 said:
    Yeah, I'm considering buying an SG so this weekend I was looking into it and found this vidoe above, and said I want that!

I had an SG when I was 14 but sold it pretty quickly, now I have Les Pauls, and love the sound but find them heavy/ So now I'm considering an SG but know I will not like it if I try to compare it to a Les Paul. If I do get one, I'm modding it to be exactly like the one in the video. BK riff raffs and a Lyre tremolo! It does sound great
    I'll be listening to this on my lunch break! 

Yeah im not sure which model SG id go for. I know its just aesthetics but i prefer the 61 style with the smaller pickguard. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Again, there's a nice Navigator SG for sale in the classifieds, also listed on reverb. It's not mine... but I think at £1000, it's a decent buy.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I love that CME video, I've never owned an SG, but I'd be bloody happy with the range of tones he gets in that video, on any guitar.
    So, here's the question, which model of SG offers the best bang for the buck? Or, for that matter, just the best bang, irrespective of buck :).
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    What's the tune he's playing at the end of that video above?  I'm assuming it's not something he just made up as it sounds familiar, and rather lovely.
    It's Debussy, Clair de Lune.

Piano (as originally composed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBl2ClXzt3U

Classical guitar version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_RnlOWmZD4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    ^^ Thank you very much!  Was pretty sure I knew it, but never heard it on guitar before. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited July 2019
    I like my SG but I do still miss the thick tone, sustain and softer attack of my old LPs. I've tried to compensate with a high output thick sounding pickup which helps but I'm thinking about going for something more PAF-y to just embrace the SG tone for what it is. Can always boost/compress with pedals if I want that. If you're directly comparing the two the LP will always sound better imo but that's subjective.

For gigging they're miles better than an LP and I'm actually starting to prefer the position on a strap so long as you sling it to the right a bit. Shop around til you find one that's not neck heavy, mine isn't and I can take both hands off without anything happening. Neck access is obviously way better on the SG.

All SGs are good value 2nd hand, you can get a standard for about £500. Or a special for a bit less.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    How about a LP Special Double Cut, humbuckered? 

Good access, light and super cool :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    I like both but if I had to have only one (and let's say it's the only guitar I could have period) it would have to be the SG. I find the cleans "airier" and less overwhelming (using PAF style alnico IV pickups).

Also more comfortable to play. Hard to get those really fat LP tones though, there's always a trade off.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    @TTBZ i'm a big fan of PAFs in SG types, and particularly alnico3 magnets, which Gibson has recently started using in a lot of the CS stuff. They really seem to help with the treble response, which is what SGs are all about.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    For some reason I don't get on with SG's, I just don't like the way they play. Maybe its the neck, the body, who knows.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited July 2019

An SG on the bridge humbucker can sound very close to a Les Paul, maybe a fraction less low end which brings the mid range grind out a bit on a driven tone.

On the neck the SG is less "plummy" sounding than a Les Paul due to the neck pickup position being different, an SG neck pickup always reminds me of that honky mid-rangey PRS 24 fretter neck pickup tone. On it's own it can maybe sound a little lacking in depth but in a band mix it sits in it's own space nicely.

As @stickyfiddle says above, PAF style pickups can be quite bright in an SG but tone rolled back to 5 or 6 and you get a lovely warm fat growl when driven or creamy warm cleans with less low end thump than a Les Paul, which can be a good thing.