Jaden Rose kit build (thanks, Royal Mail....)

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
edited July 2019 in Making & Modding
Can anyone who's not on my Facebook guess where this is coming from?

Also: a guitar related post from me!

<space for hire>
kit_2.jpg 149.6K
kit_1.jpg 459.7K
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Jaden ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    DrBob said:
    Jaden ? 
    Damn. Suppose it wasn't much of a mystery, really ;)

Sapele body and neck, rosewood fretboard, and all the hardware from his Series 2 guitars (except the locking tuners). Really looking forward to this one - going to lightly (maybe) stain the body and headstock face black, I think.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The switch hole location gave it away for me, I haven't seen it on Facebook yet.

Looks amazing man, stained black sounds nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Nice one ! I like Jaden's guitars

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

He's even rather bravely included a logo or two in the package. I might do him a favour and wait until after I've put it together to decide whether it's good enough to justify one ;)
    <space for hire>
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    He's even rather bravely included a logo or two in the package. I might do him a favour and wait until after I've put it together to decide whether it's good enough to justify one ;)
    Has he got any more kicking about ?
    DrBob said:
    Has he got any more kicking about ?
    Honestly, no idea - give him a shout :)
    <space for hire>
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Looks like the basis of a lovely guitar.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Does this mean I can have your tele?
    ennspek said:
    Does this mean I can have your tele?
    Don't start that again ;)

So anyway, it turned up, delivered by Parcelfarce...

Fucking. Marvellous. Even better, Jaden's tried to claim from RM before and they refuse to pay out on damage to musical instruments.

I've glued it and clamped it according to Jaden's instructions...let's hope, eh?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Can't imagine WTF they did to it to cause that damage  :o :'(
    The only thing on the positive side is that the break should be all but invisible when glued.

Can't imagine WTF they did to it to cause that damage  :o :'(
    The only thing on the positive side is that the break should be all but invisible when glued.

I've no idea, but this was a capacitor that was packed neatly inside a box, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside the guitar case, which was also bubble wrapped:

Mental.

The glue's pretty much hardened now, and the line is visible but not too badly. Going to have to do some sanding on the back to get rid of the excess glue (couldn't avoid the runout, because that's where one of the blocks was to protect the wood). Hopefully I should be able to get rid of the majority, which shouldn't affect the stain finish too badly. In any case, it's on the back, so it's not the end of the world.

Also, I finally located the remaining Crimson black stain and finishing oil from the N4-alike build, which is a relief, and ordered some flat metal pickup rings - the body's so thin that I don't want to risk drilling or screwing through the back by direct-mounting the pickups.

Should be full-steam-ahead tomorrow.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right, so here's a before shot:

...and after repair and a bit of sanding:

Don't mind saying that I'm feeling a bit smug right now (although I wouldn't have known how to handle it without Jaden's assistance).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Moved to Making and Modding...
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Seems strange that he shipped it with the neck on, given that it was incomplete anyway. Just asking for trouble compared to dismantling it...

I can't think what could have destroyed that capacitor, other than deliberate vandalism. I was wondering if some sort of airport x-ray scanner or something similar could have caused it to spontaneously explode inside the box, but I don't think so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27465
    The crack I can understand - it probably wouldn't take too much of a knock (and certainly well within the capabilities of just about any courier - to cause that to happen , particularly on such a thin body.

Nice save though.  You'll never see it was there.

No reason to have shipped it bolted together surely?  That's the benefit of selling/shipping bolt-ons - you can unbolt them before shipping!

But I have no possible explanation of the capacitor got snapped  - into 3 pieces !!  Even if it was just rolling around loose in the cavity, I can't see how it would have snapped.  Unless it's made of some super-fragile, extra-special, lab-use-only materials ... 

That's just weird.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    He shipped it bolted because it made more sense given that he was also shipping the gig bag. Hindsight etc.

The plastic box containing all of the components was pretty smashed up too, and a couple of the capacitors were smashed (he sent spares...one survived!).

Anyway, I've started the staining process. The repair is a bit more noticeable now (although I'm only half way through), but as long as it holds I'm...well, not happy, but OK with it.
    <space for hire>
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited July 2019
    Great repair, pretty much invisible! Probably slung onto a truck my a minimum wage knuckle dragger gotta have taken quite a knock to smash the cap.. twunts 

Staying tuned, I really like Jaydens guitars being a bit of a superstrat fanboy
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Right, so here's a before shot:

...and after repair and a bit of sanding:

Don't mind saying that I'm feeling a bit smug right now (although I wouldn't have known how to handle it without Jaden's assistance).
    Very nice job, glad it worked for you.

Not the same as your experience, but I once had a guitar delivered via RM/ParcelForce with 'Musical Instrument" and Fragile" tape all over it.
     The box had two perfectly marked oily large boot prints on the top... luckily there was a hard case inside. Bastards  :p
    So...my Crimson finishing oil had gone all goopy and crystallised. New plan required...ended up getting some natural Danish oil from Homebase down the road.

Seems to be working out OK so far...pics after the first couple of coats...

Once the body's done, I'll start on the neck. Probably just sand the back of the neck to 400/600, then stain and oil the headstock face. I'm a little unsure of how to do that without getting seepage to the sides - obviously I can mask it off, but the whole point of the stain is that it penetrates the wood, which seems to me like it's going to leave an indistinct line on the side.

Any pointers, anyone?
    <space for hire>