Area 51

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    VimFuego said:
    all I can say is that God has been very busy, creating this vast great universe and all that's in it. 
    Didn't he knock it all out in one really busy week?
    he did, but to be honest, it's less than you may think at 1st. I mean, he only created 1 planet (and he made that one flat) everything else is just painted on. And he cut corners on the animals as well, only created an handful of living ones and made do with burying the bones of the others. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    VimFuego said:
    all I can say is that God has been very busy, creating this vast great universe and all that's in it. 
    Also, due to the fact that God is essentially a gas, he could actually be inhabiting Jupiter and we wouldn't know, for we can not see gas, we only smell it. Praise him.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    I believe there is life out there, but humanity will destroy itself before we get technologically advanced enough to find it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited July 2019
    Sassafras said:

But the conditions didn't exist or weren't  necessary for an alternative lifeform here.
    Who knows what chemical compositions exist in the far flung galaxies? 
    Aren't  we assuming a lot by basing everything on our present limited knowledge?
    Not that I think there are other life forms in the known universe.
    That is possible, yes. But given how perfect the conditions were for life to arise here, it does seem surprising that it only happened once unless there is an almost impossibly difficult hurdle to get over.

VimFuego said:
    Didn't he knock it all out in one really busy week?
    I once had a discussion with some Jehovah's Witnesses about the creation. I explained that if the time scale is altered correctly, that the Genesis story isn't actually too far from current scientific thinking about the Big Bang and the early universe. Stephen Hawking at one time considered a creator God a valid hypothesis to explain why it happened, although he later changed his mind and thought 'He' wasn't necessary.

They left somewhat baffled...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18684
    The truth is stranger than fiction... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
    Arrrr...  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    VimFuego said:
    God is the collapsed wave function of an infinite set of quantum probabilities that existed before the big bang.

Now pass that spliff man.
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    Sassafras said:
    There could be extraterrestrial life but not life as we know it.
    Jim.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Sassafras said:
    Jeeze, you've got to feel sorry for the poor bastard who had to count all the grains of sand on Earth.
    Eight hundred and seventy three billion, five hundred and thirty six million, four hundred and eleven thousand, six hundred and eighty two.

Eight hundred and seventy three billion, five hundred and thirty six million, four hundred and eleven thousand, six hundred and eighty three.

Eight hundred and seventy three billion, five hundred and thirty six million, four hundred and eleven thousand, six hundred and eighty, er...six hundred and eighty ...shit!

One, two...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Were it otherwise, not only could black swans not exist, but the very notion of discovering anything would be null and void.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    ICBM said:

Complex life is so vanishingly rare that we are almost certainly the only example. The reason is the sheer odds against the creation of DNA or an equivalent self-replicating molecule, and then the similarly unlikely event of the evolution of multicellular organisms - we know it has only happened once in four billion years on Earth because all lifeforms we’ve ever found are descended from a single common ancestor. And that’s on a planet exceptionally well-suited to it...

It's funny how you think you've got a fairly good idea how someone will react to a question only to be proved totally wrong.

If I'd been forced to put a fiver on it I'd have sworn ICBM would have said the opposite.

As they say, it just goes to show.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    No one would believe in these early years of this third millennium that this world is being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than ours and yet as mortal as our own; that as we busy ourselves about our various concerns we are scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency we go to and fro over this globe about our little affairs, serene in the assurance of our empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. . .
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1591
    Bob Lazar has been dining out on this since the 90s. And done very well out of it.

• danodano Frets: 1591

... Or something more advanced will find us, mere ants beneath their boots, and inadvertently wipe us out in a quest for knowledge. 
    And I welcome our new reptilian overlords when the time comes
    tony99 said:
    No one would believe in these early years of this third millennium that this world is being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than ours and yet as mortal as our own; that as we busy ourselves about our various concerns we are scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency we go to and fro over this globe about our little affairs, serene in the assurance of our empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. . .
    Look Tom, accept that your remake wasn't very good & just move on, there's a good Scientologist  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Kittyfrisk said:

Look Tom, accept that your remake wasn't very good & just move on, there's a good Scientologist  ;)
    I thought it wasn’t too bad. Quite a lot closer to the book than the original film, and than I expected.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    ICBM said:
    Kittyfrisk said:

I thought it wasn’t too bad. Quite a lot closer to the book than the original film, and than I expected.
    I liked how the film mirrored the book by making what saved us was tiny things. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

ICBM said:
    Kittyfrisk said:

It was closer than the 1953 version but mainstream Hollywood just don't seem to get subtlety over star value.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    ICBM said:
    There could be complex extraterrestrial life if we can find even one single example on Earth - currently living or fossil, at any level - that is not related to all the rest, proving that it arose spontaneously more than once. If that can be found, then the chance that it also arose elsewhere goes from a probability vanishingly close to zero, to a certainty. That's also why finding even fossil evidence of life on Mars would matter so much too.

Isn't it Jellyfish that is meant to contain DNA that cannot be reasonably explained?

I'm sure it was something like that.

• So is anyone here going to the Area51 squat party or no?

Bye!