Buy these and you will sound just like Jimi... Honest Gov

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Guitar tFB Trader
All that and you don't even get to hear them? And does that mean you need to play your guitar upside down too?  :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Cool stories, but I don't feel comfortable cashing in on a great dead man's legacy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Ooft! Even after all this time, this is not cool IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Lebarque said:
    I don't feel comfortable cashing in on a great dead man's legacy.
    Unfortunately, in a musical community in thrall to hero worship and the recreation of achievements of the past, intangible stuff such as legacy sells.

Whilst it is true that the young Mr. Duncan got to meet some interesting and/or influential guitarists during his stint as a repairer in London, one might wonder what made him leave the United States, aged seventeen or eighteen? ;) There is also a dearth of information about when he returned home.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Lebarque said:
    I don't feel comfortable cashing in on a great dead man's legacy.
    Unfortunately, in a musical community in thrall to hero worship and the recreation of achievements of the past, intangible stuff such as legacy sells.

Whilst it is true that the young Mr. Duncan got to meet some interesting and/or influential guitarists during his stint as a repairer in London, one might wonder what made him leave the United States, aged seventeen or eighteen? ;) There is also a dearth of information about when he returned home.
    We're all sitting comfortably. Do tell.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Given the time period, one assumes that he was dodging the draft?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    Musicwolf said:
    Given the time period, one assumes that he was dodging the draft?
    Bloody good idea, as it turns out.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Doesn’t seem particularly uncool to me... although presumably he must be giving Jimi’s “sister” a cut, which I’m much less comfortable with.

As Musicwolf says, I’m guessing he returned to the US some time after January 27th 1973.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I didn't think Jimi gave much of a toss about his pickups or guitars.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Why not, he's only making what he made in 1968 from his own notes/information.
  • everyone loves SDs. Well, that not entirely true.
    I've never yet heard any that didnt sound sh!t. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Not interested in the pickups, but what a thrill for SD to have actually met and talked with Jimi back in the day. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Well the box is nice

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    everyone loves SDs. Well, that not entirely true.
    I've never yet heard any that didnt sound sh!t. 
    I'm sort of fascinated by this comment. If you do before and after demos with pickup changes, the differences are audible but they are almost never drastic in the way that changing your speakers or radically re-EQing your amp is drastic. Some pickups are better than others, but they all sound broadly like pickups, and Duncans are generally decent ones.

What pickups do you think don't "sound sh!t"?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    As a pickup maker I'd be daft if I didn't think that pickups are only part of the signal chain, and I'm always uncomfortable with claims that pickups will help you get the sound of this guitarist or that. If copying someone's style is your 'bag' then the first thing is to do is learn the influences that formed that sound in the first place, practice the phrasing and note choice of that artist, and only when your playing is sorted ... move on to replicating their gear. After all Hendrix sounded like Hendrix on his Flying V or SG as well as his Strats.
    You should be able to get a Hendrix sound with any good Strat pickups ... and quite a few bad ones ... his thing was far more about volume and amp settings than subtle pickup choices.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    What do they make your guitar go out of tune and make you overrated ???
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Nikc said:
    What do they make your guitar go out of tune and make you overrated ???
    Plus 1. He was good but not that good.