I think I'm burned out on technically amazing guitarists .....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
I've always liked technically proficient guitarists - flashy bastards! I got in early with the likes of Satch, Vai et al, picking up their debut albums when released, and buying shedloads of vinyl from Varney's Shrapnel label in the late 80s/90s. Roll the years forward and Youtube became a great resource for watching great guitarists, more and more unbelievable bedroom players were showing up.

Anyway, I'm a follower of Jam Track Central on Facebook, and they are always throwing up their newest find - widdling away to their latest 'buy me' package. A couple of weeks ago I realised that they were turning up in my feed but I just couldn't even be bothered to click and watch them any more. I am finally burned out on instrumental widdle. It's taken 30 years but there is just too much of it now, too much saturation.

In terms of guitarists I actually seem more interested in the opposite end of the spectrum these days, noise makers rather than the technically elite. 

Not quite sure why I'm even posting this to be honest. Just a bit of a realisation. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    That’s why people like Guthrie are still around, technically amazing but still musical. I totally agree though that after years of hyper shredding it’s nice to hear someone actually play a melody with taste, dynamics and tone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited July 2019
    sweepy said:
    That’s why people like Guthrie are still around, technically amazing but still musical. I totally agree though that after years of hyper shredding it’s nice to hear someone actually play a melody with taste, dynamics and tone
    And Vai. He can be as noisy as the noisiest. Yes he’s technically good, but at heart he’s a musician not just a shredder’s musician. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Vai’s musicality is why I became a somewhat belated fan, rather than for his technique - although he’s certainly amazingly proficient. All the others I’ve tried listening to bore me to one extent or another, even Satriani.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    I find myself far more interesting in really good rhythm guitarists these days (albeit within the same genres I've always liked). 

For example, this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4z4iekBzhg

You can tell he's a proficient guitarist, but he doesn't bother shredding all over the song in favour of supporting the music instead. Much respect...I wish I could get the others in my bands to stop asking me to do shred solos in every sodding song, because honestly...it gets boring, and most of the songs don't actually need it or want it.
    <space for hire>
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4147
    I really like Nili brosh 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Incubus guitarist might interest you then. Or Jeff Lang. Or Chris Whitley. Or a lot of post rock bands who try to create new sounds as opposed to shred or be very technical.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I find myself far more interesting in really good rhythm guitarists these days (albeit within the same genres I've always liked). 

For example, this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4z4iekBzhg

You can tell he's a proficient guitarist, but he doesn't bother shredding all over the song in favour of supporting the music instead. Much respect...I wish I could get the others in my bands to stop asking me to do shred solos in every sodding song, because honestly...it gets boring, and most of the songs don't actually need it or want it.
    Heard OF Nothing More but never really given them a listen. Really enjoyed that! Going to Spotify them on Friday when I'm back in the office. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    @digitalscream I rather liked the video song! A band to check out

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    When I was learning as a teenager, technically amazing guitarists were the ones that interested me the most, but as the years have gone by, through experience with other music, I find myself far more interested in guitarists who don't place extreme technical proficiency and showmanship over music, tone, creativity etc. 

Players like Nels Kline (from Wilco, Nels Kline trio and Big Walnuts Yonder) and Nick Reinhardt are much more my bag these days. And I always loved the things that the two guys from Fugazi could come up with. Unconventional stuff. But it depends on what kind of thing moves and motivates you. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    "Sport Guitar" I call it. meh. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    There has to be a tune. I think that is where Vai did so well - the pieces were always composed and had a wide range of pace and dynamics.
    Satch hasn't done anything to impress me since The Extremist, he's turning into a pentatonic parody.

Even with Eddie Van Halen the song came first and the flash was within the solo.

No drama having a solo spot in the show - but maybe not for 15 minutes like Ed did sometimes. Seriously play Eruption and Spanish Fly and then get back to the songs!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    TimmyO said:
    I offended my band last night, by protesting just this. "This song needs a widdly solo from Lee..." for the umpteenth time.

I told them I didn't want to just be around for stunt guitar parts. They didn't seem to get it.
    <space for hire>
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    TimmyO said:
    I offended my band last night, by protesting just this. "This song needs a widdly solo from Lee..." for the umpteenth time.

I told them I didn't want to just be around for stunt guitar parts. They didn't seem to get it.
    Agree to do it, but tell them you'll reveal it and "blow them away" when you play it live - and then when the day comes, set a Boss DD-3 to the 'judder' effect and just let that play one note for the requisite bars. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849

I think the comments above are all of a theme - make sure there is something approaching a tune, keep the technique exercises to a reasonable amount, make it fit the composition and like a decent songwriter, find something special to convey.

I went to a clinic a couple of years ago with Tom Quayle and a couple of his mates.  The tones were great, the technique amazing, however I struggled after a while to really get into it.  It all became like musical mathematics exercises and I got bored and left.

17 billion fusion notes in an evening may be for some people, but I have to admit I enjoyed the Shadows gig I went to a few years earlier more.

Tunes = good.  Vai - For the love of god is an amazing piece, with no end of technical brilliance.  Widdly, widdly, weeeeee for an hour, not so much.

By the way, I have seen and enjoyed Tom on many videos, especially for Guitar interactive and his playing is stellar. So this is not a specific criticism of him.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I've always preferred bands with singers TBH. 

I don't mind that stuff every now and then but same ting with me. 

My playing has also massively shifted from being 99% electric to 99% acoustic these days! Much better as a complete act if you're not in a band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    TimmyO said:
    Or “muscle memory” guitar
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I still love it, all about expanding what you can do and improving. I've not been able to sit and listen to an instrumental album for years though - much prefer that kind of stuff in the context of a song. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As mentioned by a few above my tastes have gone back to noise makers now, with songs and something to sing about. Currently first time in my life I have a guitar tuned to drop C# and enjoying a lot of Biffy Clyro weirdness