Iphone 7 or newer model?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I’m due to change my iPhone (been using an old SE)  I see amazon have some good deals in their price day promotion but what does everyone think about the 7 vs newer models?

I don’t do anything fancy - bit of web browsing, FB, maps and email etc but I’d like a year or two out of my next phone so if that means spending more fair enough.   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I got a refurbished 128gb iPhone 7 Plus from GiffGaff for £389 a few months ago following advice here.  I've been very happy with it.  It takes lovely photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4147
    I have an SE , had it about 4 months . I have not put any credit on it yet since I had it as I’m not really a mobile phone person. I love the tech though and use it as my camera/video portable computer etc . I always thought it’s a waste of money as I always had to have a landline for my broadband connection and didn’t want to pay twice so that people could pester me when I’m out and about . I guess this makes me really weird but it’s kinda liberating
    Ps I always buy tech like this and iPads etc from CEX , cheap prices and 2 year warranty . All these anti apple people saying apple is expensive but really you can do a lot with a 5s for under £100 and all the after market audio music and film add ons for it enable you to use it as a professional tool . People have shot cinematic films on everything from iPhone 5s to the 7 , there’s things like focusrite itrack , I’m multimedia etc . It’s good stuff
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I recently had to replace a faulty SE, and much to my annoyance it’s been discontinued and the smallest and cheapest model I could get was the 7. It’s OK, but I really do wish it was slightly smaller... I don’t understand why phones are being made bigger again. It’s also ludicrously slippery if you don’t have a case for it - far too easy for it to shoot out of your hand. I stopped and bought a cover for it on the way home! Apart from that it is a very nice phone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks chaps ordered a 7.    It’ll be a nice change to not have to wiggle the cable to get it to charge and have a battery that last more than a few hours.    
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    Enjoy the new phone - re the charging issue check that there is no debris in the port - use a cocktail stick or similar. I had the same problem with my SE and could not believe how much fluff was in there......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The 7 is a great bit of kit
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Got given a 7 with a new battery a little while ago as my Galaxy S8 was buggered. Been liking it and the battery lasts quite a while longer than what I was used to.

not as flash or as nice to look at compared to the S8 but it does well.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    John_P said:
    Thanks chaps ordered a 7.    It’ll be a nice change to not have to wiggle the cable to get it to charge and have a battery that last more than a few hours.    
    The lighting port flex cost less than a fiver and the battery is only a tenner so for £15 you could fix your old phone. That's the beauty of Apple phones, cheap and easy to fix as long the motherboard is working.

Enjoy the 7 though it's a great phone

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Ps I always buy tech like this and iPads etc from CEX , cheap prices and 2 year warranty . All these anti apple people saying apple is expensive but really you can do a lot with a 5s for under £100 and all the after market audio music and film add ons for it enable you to use it as a professional tool . People have shot cinematic films on everything from iPhone 5s to the 7 , there’s things like focusrite itrack , I’m multimedia etc . It’s good stuff
    Not these days, apps are getting bigger, and the 5s inky has a certain amount of storage, apple don't let you remove junk, and it won't be supportednfor much longer, so really not a viable option in 2019.:)
    Not these days, apps are getting bigger, and the 5s inky has a certain amount of storage, apple don't let you remove junk, and it won't be supportednfor much longer, so really not a viable option in 2019.:)
    The 5S was made 16, 32 and 64Gb storage ...... not seen many 64Gb versions in for repair but plenty of 32Gb's

I'm still on a 5S myself, it's a 4 year old phone still on original battery and still holds a charge all day. Only thing I have replaced is the lighting port which tends to wear out. I still think the 5 frame is the best size for a smart phone, luckily my wife has an SE which will come to me when she upgrades. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    My SE is great phone, bought deliberately for it's smaller size.
    Had it in a Mophie power case from day 1, with screen protector & is immaculate, without fluff, port wear etc.
    Technically an SE is a 6 in a small form factor anyway, so a 7 isn't a huge leap.
    The SE had a unique niche that sadly has apparently vanished.
    I'll be using this for as long as I possibly can, regardless of new tech envy  ;)

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I only have a works phone, which is an iPhone 7.  I'll need to get my own phone when I finish work at Christmas and I can't see any reason to get anything bigger / more expensive.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I'm still rocking a 6S and it's fine. Still has 87% battery health, does what I need it to.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I really wanted to keep my SE forever too, but sadly it broke... I still have it, and I should probably see if it can be repaired - I couldn’t afford to be without it at the time, so I had to just get a replacement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    There were a few great deals on Amazon Prime day, someone got a XS Max in the warehouse for about £800, the XR can be had for £680.
    My SE is great phone, bought deliberately for it's smaller size.
    Had it in a Mophie power case from day 1, with screen protector & is immaculate, without fluff, port wear etc.
    Technically an SE is a 6 in a small form factor anyway, so a 7 isn't a huge leap.
    The SE had a unique niche that sadly has apparently vanished.
    I'll be using this for as long as I possibly can, regardless of new tech envy  ;)

The SE is a 6S board with the A9 processor in a 5S case with a 5S screen. So only a half step from a 7 really 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    ICBM said:
    I really wanted to keep my SE forever too, but sadly it broke... I still have it, and I should probably see if it can be repaired - I couldn’t afford to be without it at the time, so I had to just get a replacement.
    I still have a few Nokia 6310i's  :o The best PHONE ever made IMHO, but not pretty or 'smart'  :)
    Battery life is weeks & they double up as a hammer  ;)  Great for emergency backpacking use.
    Also have several Androids, mainly for tinkering with & as spares, great value, but generally unfriendly in software usability terms.
    The SE is just 'right' in terms of battery life, form factor, updatability etc. and with 128GB, has more than enough room to be an iPod when it becomes totally outdated as a phone.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited July 2019
    ICBM said:
    I recently had to replace a faulty SE, and much to my annoyance it’s been discontinued and the smallest and cheapest model I could get was the 7. It’s OK, but I really do wish it was slightly smaller... I don’t understand why phones are being made bigger again. It’s also ludicrously slippery if you don’t have a case for it - far too easy for it to shoot out of your hand. I stopped and bought a cover for it on the way home! Apart from that it is a very nice phone.
    For these reasons I kinda wished I’d stocked up on the SE for when my current one pops. Like you, it annoys me that I can’t get anything smaller when it does. Pound for pound it was the best and most practical iPhone Apple produced IMHO and it surprises they chose to discontinue it given that it catered to so many who appreciated it.
    beed84 said:
    ICBM said:
    For these reasons I kinda wished I’d stocked up on the SE for when my current one pops. Like you, it annoys me that I can’t get anything smaller when it does. Pound for pound it was the best and most practical iPhone Apple produced IMHO and it surprises they chose to discontinue it given that it catered to so many who appreciated it.
    It was more a point of they had millions of 5S screens and cases left over when the 6 came out and the 5S stopped selling .... so it suited them at the time to do it. 

You can get an iPhone SE with 12 months warranty on Ebay for £89.00 ... Bargain phone 
    www.2020studios.co.uk