Depp Drummer Dickishness

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
For  various reasons we've had to employ the use of a depp drummer, in fact we've got a few now as our proper drummer has had a few committments and we've picked up last minute gigs. Anyway theyve all been great and a pleasure to work with apart from one. It started off with him calling me and saying he heard we needed a depp for the weekend, we had a pleasant chat, sent him the setlist, he said no problem, what he didnt know he would learn.. spoke on the day of the gig, he asked what time we were getting there, i said probably about 9 ish as we start about 10. he said he would get there about 8 ish as he wanted to set up early and be ready for us, no problem. he said he would bring drum mics to go into the desk. i explained we dont mic the drums, its only a small pub. he said he would like to mic his drums, anyway not wanting to have a row before id even met him i just said ok, warned te others what he said and agreed we'd just turn them right down when we started.
so, 9;30 he hadnt shown up, i called him, he said he was on his way be there in 15 minutes,   half hour later, just before 10 (when we were spose to start) he arrives, no apology, taking all the time in the world, we try and encourage him to get ready quickly.Then even though he was told exactly where to park his car he left it in the way and the landlady had to get him to move it Anyway, we start about 10;20, first set goes ok, he is not that bad/ not brilliant but ok and hes learnt the songs.
During the break he informs us that a girl in the audience wants to come up and sing with us, i say no, we dont do that sort of thing, he says maybe, we'll see. to which our our singer Amanda, says no we wont see, we dont do it. Then he compalins that we dont count him in properly its not profesional. I explain that most of the songs start with a guitar riff so dont need to be counted in. he almost explodes telling us hes been playing since the 60s blah blah.
During the 2nd set, a girl got up on stage and he gave her a drumstick so she starts hitting his drum, pissed out her head she falls over and he messes up the song, bass player has to remove her from the stage. 
He dropped his notes and was spending time shuffling them causing an embarrasing silence so me and bass player just launch into the song anyway hoping hed, jump in, he did luckily but shot us filthy looks.
Got through the gig, it was a good crowd and it all went down well anyway. After the gig we packed our gear away, collected the money and sivvied it up , Noticed that he hasnt even started packing away. He says lets get the drums packed. but we've all packed our gear by then, look at each other walk to our cars and bugger off. Normally we always help drummers with their gear but we were all pissed off with him. 
The following week we had a different dep, complete contrast lovely guy, accomodating, made up for the previous c--t.

2reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like a complete tool. I can't stand people that are late. I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late. Also if you are late the least you can do is apologise. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Look on the bright side, it makes choosing a dep drummer slightly easier in the future.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Was he called Johnny?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    Was he called Johnny?
    Lmao funnily enough, he was
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Look on the bright side, it makes choosing a dep drummer slightly easier in the future.
    Yes, every cloud... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The very definition of legend in his own lunchtime.
    You don't have to bad mouth him to other musicians, you never know what influence and friends he might have. Just don't use him again and move on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    The very definition of legend in his own lunchtime.
    You don't have to bad mouth him to other musicians, you never know what influence and friends he might have. Just don't use him again and move on.
    Agreed I won't name him, Johnny Depp isn't his real name. He just won't be recommended when I'm asked for drummers, which is quite often. 

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I've met these types before! (Not only drummers though).

Seem to think the whole world evolves around them and never think of the bigger picture - i.e the band
  • What kind of bands are you guys playing in? I swear every time I read one of these stories I think to myself.... "I've literally never seen that..."

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I've never used a dep muso I haven't heard play or one I haven't heard great things about. That drummer sounds a nightmare, complete opposite of what a good dep muso should be. I would have docked his money being as he nearly cost you money 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    We are a "simple"mostly  pub and social club covers band. we all get on really well. Unfortunately our regular drummer hasnt been able to make all the gigs so we do now frequently require a dep. We have used quite a few now some better than others. But they have all been a delight to play with and wouldnt hesitate playing them again, all really nice people up to now. Using deps isnt an ideal situation but without them we would have to cancel dozens of gigs. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Danny1969 said:
    I've never used a dep muso I haven't heard play or one I haven't heard great things about. That drummer sounds a nightmare, complete opposite of what a good dep muso should be. I would have docked his money being as he nearly cost you money 

From the sounds of it that the OP's dep's career will last about three gigs. What a dick.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    UnclePsychosis said:

From the sounds of it that the OP's dep's career will last about three gigs. What a dick.
    Some people just think they're god's gift to the world - maybe being a dep, so you only ever work with the same people once, is a natural evolutionary consequence of this. Imagine being *in* a band with the twat...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    That's what happens when drummers learn to think for themselves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    We have dep bassists and singers, but never bother with dep drummers. 

Ours started gigging again eleven days after a full hip replacement, spending a week learning to play kickdrum with her left foot even though she couldn't yet walk. 

For the two gigs she missed I used a Cajon with a cable operated pedal and we all used hand percussion combined with electro acoustic guitars. It was a great set, and a lot less effort than trying to teach a new drummer how we do things.