Line 6 UX2 and Line 6 software packages. Now work on Macs. Work for me now?

Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
Back in the mists of time I had this set up. It was allright from what I remember, around 2005 or 2006. Now, I went Mac and found Line 6 didn`t support Macs so I sold it. Now they seem too and as I am selling pretty much all of my kit as the new house is smaller than I thought it was going to be and the kids have taken over all the space I am wondering about going back to this kind of set up. I have studio monitors. I will never gig or play in a band ever again so volume is irrelevant and headphones are essential.

Good point is that it is pretty inexpensive and has plenty of inputs should I ever decide to record ever again. It will fit on my desk nicely. The POD 2 I have is decent but I would like a little more flexibility to play around with different effects and the signal chain.

I don`t currently have an interface for the computer so I can`t try out the POD Farm software without paying the cash so has it improved and while the online reviews seem ok does it work for the real world in here?

Yeah the kids take the house and Daddy gets a corner.................
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    Are you in UK Jets? If so, take advantage of the Distance Trading Regulations. You have two weeks (?) to return an order for a full refund  WITHOUT giving any reason.
    So, do your homework, check reviews, ask questions (HR.com soundonsound.com) and download the user manual. Ask the vendor about mac operation (and if you get a know nothing chit of a girl or guy, move on!)
    Once you have a reasonable expectation that it will work, pull the trigger!

Dave.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    POD Farm has always worked on MAC. I've run it since 2007 on my Macs. There have been times where Apple have released a new version of OS and it has taken a few months for the L6 techs to catch up (because Apple refuse all approaches to release the new OS to those who use it commercially ahead of the official release). But otherwise Line6 have supported Mac from the get-go. (I'm ex-head of Line6 Service in the UK)

The UX2 is an excellent interface that can be picked up cheaply now (I think I paid £60 for mine about 18months ago). Register the hardware and download the software FoC from Line6 Monkey. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    I love my UX2. I had one around 2006/2007 and recorded albums on it. Had to get another recently. Cost me just £35 on eBay!

I've been tracking some vocals for some pro producers who sent me a requirements list of acceptable gear if recording for them remotely. It was all Neumann this and valve that. Long stort short, my super cheap Samson condenser and the amazing sounding pres in the UX2 software have got them well and truly fooled!

Anyway, buy one on eBay and see how you get on. Worst case, you have to flog it again for what you paid.

If you can remember your old credentials can't you download the software from the Line6 site and see if it'll install?
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I have an old (red) UX1 that you can have for the cost of p+p if it's any use to you.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    edited July 2019
    I checked the web page and it said in the spec sheet that it was good for Macs. To be honest I thought it had been something discontinued years ago! I am not even sure if the email account I used for Line 6 is one of the ones I shut down...... I was using it pre 2006 so things may have changed...

I live in rural Eastern Europe so realistically it works out better to just buy it new when you see the postage prices and the total lack of second hand equipment advertised for sale locally!

Just need to sell some stuff now.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    @Jetsam1 better off buying someone newer which supports newer versions of Mac. My UX1 only works with Windows XP and 7. Next year Micro$haft will end support for Windows 7, so unless i keep an old laptop the UX1 is pretty useless.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    My UX1 works just fine with Windows 10.

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    That's weird as mine will not connect to POD Farm, write failure. Works fine with XP/7. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    That`s why I`d be going new,
  • TroglodyteTroglodyte Frets: 18
    edited July 2019
    impmann said:
    Apple refuse all approaches to release the new OS to those who use it commercially ahead of the official release).
    There are beta releases from Apple well before official release and registered developers get them earlier than that.
    https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    That's weird as mine will not connect to POD Farm, write failure. Works fine with XP/7. 
    Firmware up to date? Via Line6 Monkey?

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    impmann said:
    Apple refuse all approaches to release the new OS to those who use it commercially ahead of the official release).
    There are beta releases from Apple well before official release and registered developers get them earlier than that.
    https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
    Yes indeed. As you no doubt know, though, not all the 'changes' are part of that program and to be a 'registered developer' costs money - a lot of it.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.