Cioks vs Voodoo Labs

What's Hot
mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
Gents,

Anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

I've got new board and require another power supply to combine with my prexisting one.

I have a VLpp2 and a cioks dc8.

Im really impressed with the size and form factor of the cioks.

Any opinions on noise etc?

Cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I’ll be watching this with interest. Was going to order a Cioks DC7 this week as it seems to be their all singing all dancing supply but can’t seem to find many objective reviews online to back up the hype. 

Cioks seem to have a great range though. 
    How very rock and roll
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have both. Both are very good. Price and outlets would be the deciding factor for me.
  • I have a DC 5 and is seems perfect, I’ve done anything crazy with it though. I’ve had it running 7 pedals with on one of them reverse polarity with the red adaptor and seems totally silent. So all good! 
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 121
    I've had a Cioks DC10 for around 4 years and am really pleased with it.  Currently running 9 pedals from it (including 2 Eventides, a Nuenaber and a mixture of analogue effects) with no noise issues at all.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I have Cioks Pussy Power which is essentially DC10 and also the Ciokolate 

Both are solid PSU, no noise, isolated and very well built.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Rather pricey...
    prowla said:
    Rather pricey...
    Really? I think the Cioks stuff is relatively well priced. No idea on the VL stuff thkugh
    How very rock and roll
    prowla said:
    Rather pricey...
    Compare to a set up to power the same number of pedals from Gigrig, it's perfectly reasonable.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm offloading my voodoo labs ones, not impressed. Mine are NOISY especially the PP2!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    The Cioks DC5 powering my small board has been totally reliable and no noise issues. I have no experience of the DC8. For my bigger board I opted 3 or 4 years ago for a Hot Stone Deluxe which I'm really happy with.
  • cLepto-basscLepto-bass Frets: 13
    edited July 2019
    Cioks power RC leads are terribly flimsy. I went through half a dozen before I sold the unit. Proud and happy Trutone CS6 owner now. 
  • I have had Cioks and Voodoo Labs units. They're decent. But the Strymon Zuma can be placed much closer to a wah pedal without adding tons of hum and noise to the board, so that's the way I eventually went. Never been happier.

Bye!

Cioks power RC leads are terribly flimsy. I went through half a dozen before I sold the unit. Proud and happy Trutone CS6 owner now. 
    Are the Cioks leads their own proprietary model? They look like they don’t take the usual 2.1mm barrel style (is that right?) 

i ordered a DC7 yesterday and will be annoyed if I’m tied to using their leads. 
    How very rock and roll
    Are the Cioks leads their own proprietary model? They look like they don’t take the usual 2.1mm barrel style (is that right?) 

i ordered a DC7 yesterday and will be annoyed if I’m tied to using their leads. 
    It’s like an Aux socket.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    Phono plug (or RCA if you're from the USA). No problem at all being tied to their leads - they come in all possible configurations, are widely available, well made, and reasonably priced. Or you could just make some up yourself.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Been through a few mid price and cheapo supplies, ended up with a voodoo 4x4 and a cioks dc5.  Not had any issues with either. 

The clover style input to the cioks is a bit annoying, but it's easy to make your own adaptor to change it to standard kettle 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    The clover mains lead and phono dc leads on the Ciocks are the reasons I swapped to a Truetone.  I've already got spare dc leads and kettle leads and didn't want to carry separate Cioks specific ones.  The actual power supply was quiet though so no complaints there (DC5)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Never used VL. Very happy with a Cioks DC5 on a PT Nano+ board, and was very happy with a Truetone CS12 on a big board.

Just been persuaded by @CustomPedalBoards ; to shell out for GigRig stuff for the current project. Which I have to say looks very neat in its funky little boxes.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The Cioks Adam / Big John etc have some idle hum, it’s because of their transformer type, but by the time you step up to the DC5 and beyond, they are great. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2019
    Beexter said:
    The clover mains lead and phono dc leads on the Ciocks are the reasons I swapped to a Truetone.  I've already got spare dc leads and kettle leads and didn't want to carry separate Cioks specific ones.  The actual power supply was quiet though so no complaints there (DC5)
    I think the new DC7 has a kettle lead socket.
    I've got a DC5 and didn't want to carry a clover mains lead so I just got a clover to kettle adaptor and now any kettle lead can power my DC5.