Bloody Les Pauls

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    thegummy said:
    TTBZ said:
    thegummy said:
    I wonder if the people who have a problem with them are trying to get on and play music and the shape etc. is actually interfering or bothering them.

Or is it when they're assessing them, actively thinking about the ergonomics that they find problems?

For me it's the latter that draws attention to the problems of the shape etc. but even on the Bernie Marsden with the really thick neck that I really dislike, when I'm actually playing music with it the ergonomics aren't on my mind anymore, I'm just thinking about the music.
    I found when I was playing my LP after getting the SG I started noticing how uncomfortable it was. I'd just been putting up all the usual LP gripes cause it's an iconic design that sounds great, but they were actually really annoying to me. That's when I realised I really just wanted a guitar that gets out of the way and lets me focus on playing, so I'm not thinking about the binding digging into my right arm etc. Them Bernies are great guitars, I'd quite like a black one :)
    When threads like this come up it makes me think how much better feeling the Strat is and wonder if I should get an HH Strat as my joint number 1 instead of a LP.

Can never decide if the sound will still be as good as I want it.

Re: the Bernie - they are incredibly hyped and I can see why, the quality in general is excellent. But the thick neck - a feature that sells it for some people - puts me off. But the fact the quality is so good makes me nervous I'd regret selling it.
    The nearest sounding thing to a LP from the Fender stable that I’ve heard is the Shiflett Tele. Sounded great but I never liked playing it, how much more LP could you ask for? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    For some reason a Les Paul just hangs right on a strap and is the most comfortable guitar playing standing up for me. At least it was until I got a Jem a couple of weeks ago.

To me Les Pauls are simply the best looking electric solid body ever made.

That said, they have major flaws and that’s why my R8 gets less pay time than it should.

1) slips off the right thigh when seated.
    2) a bit heavy.
    3) crap upper fret access (although Slash and Bonamassa seem to manage admirably).

Its possible the Les Paul axcess is the perfect guitar but I’ve never had opportunity to try one.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I have to have a Les Paul and they're my No.1

I like 335s and Superstrats too, but I play LPs the most.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    TINMAN82 said:
    Its possible the Les Paul axcess is the perfect guitar but I’ve never had opportunity to try one.
    It looks very good, but their improved neck joint design isn't as elegant as Feline's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Philly_Q said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    It looks very good, but their improved neck joint design isn't as authentic as Feline's.
    FTFY  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    Philly_Q said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    It looks very good, but their improved neck joint design isn't as elegant as Feline's.
    Feline's is the smoothest, most ergonomic neck join I've had the pleasure to play on any guitar ever. It also looks great and is very tactile. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The new one on the LP Modern is actually really good. But at that price it's probably not far off Feline territory.
  • Looks like Martin will get a Ryder les Paul then Sweepyfrets!!!!
  • This one ticks some of those want boxes. This one isn't mine. Mine is has HBs.

BTW, as well as all that reduction, it also has a tummy cut. 
    In all honesty, I don't use it as much as other guitars. As said elsewhere, I love the sound, don't identify with it. 

I prefer the way all Gibson handle (compared to Fenders). The classic single coil Fender sound however, is what I like best. 

I dont have one 'go-to' guitar. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I love the look of Les Pauls, and when other people play them I want one. Then I pick one up and realise that they don't work for me.

The only exception was when I played a Feline at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago and they had fixed every little thing  that I felt was wrong with the original design. If I ever get fed up of my PRS, then I'll be paying Feline a visit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    This one ticks some of those want boxes. This one isn't mine. Mine is has HBs.

Christ, that headstock angle, it's like it's screaming "break me"...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

That's a normal angle for a LP isn't it?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited July 2019

In all honesty, I don't use it as much as other guitars. As said elsewhere, I love the sound, don't identify with it. 

Was that one of the 2015 models?  There was a thin-bodied one but I can't remember the name.  I did consider buying one when Amazon had that big buy-one-get-one-free sale, but I decided the neck would be too wide and too thin.

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Philly_Q said:

Was that one of the 2015 models?  There was a thin-bodied one but I can't remember the name.  

The Les Paul "Less Plus". Awful name. Why not just call it the "Lite" like they have done previously? And why can no marketing department spell "light"?
    Tim
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    thegummy said:

Indeed it is, it's only with photos like this it's so obvious, and such an obvious design flaw though!

As the thread is about problems with LPs I find it ironic that this example is thinner to address the weight and seems to have a reshaped join for better upper fret access, but still keeps the daft neck angle.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

Indeed it is, it's only with photos like this it's so obvious, and such an obvious design flaw though!

As the thread is about problems with LPs I find it ironic that this example is thinner to address the weight and seems to have a reshaped join for better upper fret access, but still keeps the daft neck angle.
    To me, if you're going to change a part of the LP significantly, like take away half the body thickness, then it won't sound like a LP so why bother keeping some parts the same if they're not beneficial?

If not going specifically for a LP then just change everything like Ibanez, Jackson etc. 
  • There was one of those Les Paul Custom 'Lite' models from a few years back going for a bargain price on Gumtree near me a little while back. Looked exactly like a 'proper' black Custom when viewed at the right angle and I was quite tempted. Then I remembered I've never got on with single-cut guitars, and a thinner body doesn't really solve that problem.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    gringopig said:
    I'll just leave this here:

I wouldn't. It could easily fall off that couch and it won't bounce.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    They look great but are a dog to play.
    I flipped my Gibbo a long time ago.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    opposite for me, I love playing LPs,  But i love the look and sound of strats, they are a work of art, but i just cant get on with playing them. i keep buying them in hope but usually a few weeks later they have to go.